Hesitating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BradshawB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, i have a 1988 dodge w150 power ram. It has a problem with hesitation when accelerated and stalling when stopping. The problem has gotten worse since i got it last year. It now bucks occasionally and will not gain much speed. I have replaced the throttle position sensor, idle control solenoid, fuel filter and the fuel pump. Adjusted the throttle body and the solenoid screw. Also the motor was swapped due to busted seals and high mileage. I'm not sure what the cause of the problem can be, can anyone help?

RotorHead04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By hesitating do you mean misfiring?
Have you checked the condition of your spark plugs and distributor cap and rotor?

OP
OP
B

BradshawB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It doesn't accelerate when i step on the gas, then bucks and goes. I don't hear misfiring.
I have not recently checked the spark plugs, they were new about 9000 miles ago.

RotorHead04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will the truck stay running if you leave it in park or do you have to keep the throttle open?

OP
OP
B

BradshawB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The truck will stay running when put through the gears and will rev up normally, the issue is when it's moving

RotorHead04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it sounds like an ignition issue due to the lack of power. You can do a quick check by unplugging the wires one at a time at the distributor while its idling. If it gets worse plug it back in and move on to the next one. If you unplug one and don't notice a change, then that's your missing cylinder.

OP
OP
B

BradshawB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay, thanks for your help. I will try this tomorrow

OP
OP
B

BradshawB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried pulling the spark plug wires for cylinders 1&2 and there was no change in the way it ran. Do i need new spark plugs?

RotorHead04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not necessarily but not you know you have a misfire and where it's at. Pull the spark plugs and examine them. If they are wet then you have a spark problem in either the plug, wire, or distributor. If they are clean and dry then you have an injector issue in that area.

RotorHead04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a meter? If you do you can see if you have continuity in the wires.

OP
OP
B

BradshawB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll check the spark plugs, the wires are fairly new. And i do have a multimeter

RotorHead04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea, I'm thinking that it needs a new distributor cap and rotor. He should check the plugs and wires just to be sure.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
distributor cap and wires are most likely fine. with the symptom described i would be looking at the sensor in the distributor. it will cause all the symptoms that are described and is usually only about $30 part and takes about 2 minutes to install