2006 Ram 1500 5.7 idles too fast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pscarbor

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2006, 2009
Engine
5.9, 5.7 Hemi, 5.7 Hemi
Hi guys, hope one of you can help me with a mystery (or two). I have a 2006 Ram 1500 5.7, high mileage (280k) that my wife bought off of Facebook for $2000. I've been working on it for about a year and it runs amazingly well (after I put $7500 worth of parts in it). I still have two issues which I think are related.

The truck has always idled too fast. Initially hot idle was around 900 RPM, no big deal; but as I went through the engine replacing stuff it started to run better but also idle higher. I've replaced the throttle body, EGR, PCV valve, ECT sensor, all four O2 sensors, spark plugs. The TP is Dorman; O2 sensors are NTG, plugs NGK, ECT is Standard. So far everything I replaced generally either made no difference of made the truck run generally better AND increased the idle RPM.

Idle RPM cold is now about 1000; hot it's 1300 and occasionally throws P0507 (idle too high) codes. I've tried to find vacuum leaks using the propane method and even sprayed water all over the intake manifold and vacuum hoses, blocked off the brake booster hose. There is no vacuum leak that I can find. Both upstream and downstream O2 sensors seem to be operating correctly.

The other issue, which may be related to the fast idle, is the dreaded "Dodge red lightning bolt of death". This started a couple of months ago and seems to only happen at idle or low RPM. When this goes off the fuel system goes into to closed loop mode, engine runs rough. Turn ignition off then back on and it's fine for a while again. No other codes are thrown when this happens.

Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated!

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It sounds like you may just have a wiring issue to the Throttle body possibly a ECM issue RARE AS HELL tho you haave already fired the parts cannon it may be time to have someone good with wiring dig into it before you waste more money. Also was it a new or used throttle body when you replaced it? you could also do a smoke test to find vacuum leaks you could have one that you cant see.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517