Looking for break in advice for a newly rebuilt 89 318

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Instigate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.7L
I just got my 1989 318 TBI Roller lifter engine rebuilt and I'm wondering what oil I should use to to the break in and what type of break in should I do.

I'm not sure what weight to use but since I have roller lifters I don't need the ZDDP additive right?

I found this, talking about a 350 tho. Does this procedure sound correct?

bring RPM right up to 2000 rpm, keep RPMs moving between 2000-3000 rpm, do not idle and do not go under 2000 rpm. Do this for 20-30 min. This is to break in the cam, the cam's only oiling is from splash oiling

Have a buddy out there with you, checking for leaks, probs, etc

Once the 20-30 break in is down, shut her down, drain oil out and change oil and filter

Use same type of oil and zinc as before now your ready for your 500 miles.. But on 1st drive you need to load engine some to help seat the rings. Find and open road, going about 20 mph get on the throttle pretty good up to 50 mph, then back off all the way and let it coast down to about 20, then on throttle hard again to about 50 mph, coast back down to 20... Do that about 8 to 10 times

Then for rest of 500 miles dont dog it, but dont baby it.

At 500 miles change oil and filter again.

Wait till about 1500-2000 miles on it before going to a Synthetic oil. Then once using synthetic its still the same with the zinc the shelf API rated SM oils dont cut it for flat tappet cams. I really like mobil one oil for a good priced systhetic but it will need the lucas zinx plus added to it. Or buy the Valvoline VR1 systhrtic version or redline or Royal Purple