3500 shakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram 3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
DIESEL
My wife and I bought a new Ram 3500 in May 2016, but never really got on the highway other than to go to and from work which, in traffic, doesn’t allow for much, if any, high speed driving. Sometime early June we took a trip to Cape Girardeau MO and noticed that highway speeds around 70-72 mph and higher the truck has a very noticeable side to side shake that seemed to be coming from the back of the vehicle which could be felt in the floor and thru the seats.

The following Monday we called our dealership and told them about our issue and said that we are about to go out of town for a week and asked if we could bring in the truck after that which would be after the 4th of July weekend. They said “it sounds like a tire issue, just bring it in when you get back.”

I dropped off the truck and was called a couple of days (or so) later and was told “we balanced the tires and had a mechanic drive it and it’s fine.”

After driving the truck I discovered that it was not fine. I called the dealership and they told me to drop it off again. I dropped off the truck and was called a couple of days (or so) later and was told it was fixed. They did a high spin balance (not sure what it’s called) and rotated the tires.

After driving the truck, again it was not fixed. This time when I called I talked to the service manager John. He apologized because it was still not fixed and said the mechanics test driving the vehicle after the repair did not understand the problem and this time he would personally drive it to make sure it was fixed. He said during their high speed spin balance attempt they found tire that was not perfect so, he would order one and call when it came in. The tire came in a few days later and I dropped the truck off again.

A couple of days (or so) later John called and said “I’m sorry but I don’t know what’s going on with the truck.” He said putting on the new tire did not change anything, if fact, he said we took a different set of tires and wheels off another truck and it still did not fix the problem. He said he would contact Chrysler to get an engineer involved.

A week or so later John called and said we have done all that we can do and you can pick up your truck. He said they worked on the hubs, the axles and lastly did something in the rear end but cannot correct the problem. He said the Chrysler field engineer told him that he was familiar with that problem and it can range from speeds of 60 – 80 mph and “that is an inherent problem with those trucks and cannot be corrected.”

The next day (Saturday) I went to pick up the truck, the service department was closed so, I talked to the sale manager Jason. He gave me a phone number for Chrysler and said that I needed to call Chrysler and explain what was going on. When I started driving home I discovered a very loud whining noise in the rear end so, I went back to the dealership. I explained everything to Jason and asked him to take a ride in the truck with me so he could explain the whining noise it to John, the service manager, on Monday. He said “I don’t have time.” I left the truck there.

I called the service manager on Monday and told him that I could be there right after work and asked him to ride with me and he agreed. Soon after leaving the dealership we heard the loud whining noise. I said “that doesn’t sound good, should I still go onto the highway?” He said yes. After reaching the highway and getting the truck up to the 70-72 mph needed for the shaking to start, I asked John “am I making too big of deal out of this? If this was your truck would you be happy?” He said “no I would not.” I said “this truck has a problem” and he agreed. We went back to the dealership and dropped off the truck. John said he would call when the whining issue was fixed and told me that I need to call the 1-800 number for Chrysler to get shaking issue resolved.

I called Chrysler when I got home. A young man took my information and told me someone would be in touch the next day. The next day a young lady called from Chrysler (I believe her name is Sharray). I explained the situation to her and she said she would contact my dealership and get back to me by next Friday.

Next Friday, Sharray, with Chrysler called and said that she still did not know what was going on because she could not reach anyone at the dealership. I said “how is it possible that you could not get in touch with them over an entire week?” We went back and forth for a while until she finally said, “I will try to contact them again and call you back by next Wednesday.”

Next Wednesday, she called (talked to my wife) and said the parts for the rear end would be in and your truck should be fixed next Tuesday and I will call you then.

Next Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday Sharray did not call. (I called the dealership on Friday)

Three weeks went by and still no call from Chrysler. I went online to “Chrysler Forum” and posted our problem and asked for help. The next day ChryslerCares (Andrea) asked me to send her my VIN number and personal information and she would look into it.

Andrea called (talked to my wife) and said that she wanted Sharray to handle the problem since she was our case worker and she would only get involved after that.

My wife called Sharray four times over Thursday and Friday, left two messages and got no replay. On Monday my wife called and asked to speak to Sharray’s supervisor. Instead, they connected her to Sharray. Sharray told my wife that we need to take the truck to the dealership and tell them it shakes. My wife said “that’s why it has been in there since July”, Sharray said I need to contact your dealership.

(7:00 am Tuesday – 9/27) I emailed Andrea @ ChryslerCares and told her about Sharray and asked her to please move this to the next step or at least assign us a different case worker because Sharray obviously does not understand what is going on. We have not heard anything.

Thursday – 9/29 have not heard from Sharray or Andrea. My wife called Chrysler again and asked to speak to Sharray’s supervisor. The young man asked why she needed to speak to her supervisor so, she explained everything. He said “I’m sorry, I will see what I can do and if nothing else, I will call the dealership and call you back by the end of the day.” That evening, Sharray called and said she contacted the dealership and told me to take the truck back up there and she would have a Star engineer involved to correct the issue. I said “we have already done that, is the dealership aware we are bringing the truck back?” She said “yes, I just spoke with them.”

The next morning (9/30) I called Rodney (our new service manager) and explained everything Sharray said to me. He said “I am not aware that you need to bring the truck back up here.” He said “I told Sharray yesterday that we have already had the Star engineer from Chrysler involved and there is no more that we or Chrysler can do.” Rodney apologized and said that he would talk to his supervisor. Later that day he called me at home and said “Mr. Beck we contacted a Chrysler field engineer again and he said, that is just what those trucks do. The issue can happen anywhere from 60-80 mph and there is nothing Chrysler can do about it.” Rodney said that he would call Sharray again and let her know.

Rodney told me on Monday that he left her a message on Friday but, she has not called.

Tuesday (10/4) I did not hear anything from Chrysler so, I called and left a voice mail with Sharray explaining what our dealership told me and asked her to please call our dealership and then call us. My wife also called and asked to speak to a supervisor and was told, “I will have a supervisor call you.” They did not.

Wednesday (10/5) my wife called Chrysler again and was told, “I promise you, a supervisor will call before the end of the day”.

Thursday (10/6) we have not heard anything from anyone at Chrysler.

My wife and I have been loyal Chrysler customers for many years but, are very concerned about pulling a 40’ (over 13,000 lbs) camper with a truck that shakes. We are very disappointed in them and are just exhausted over this entire ordeal and feel that we are getting the run-around from them. We are now making our fourth payment on a $60,000 vehicle that we cannot use for our intended purpose. We believe that we have been more than patient with this problem and we are not asking for anything more than what anyone would expect when purchasing any product.

Chrysler Cares? Really, it doesn’t feel like it!! We have now filed complaints with the states attorney general’s office and the Better Business Bureau.

Chrysler not only has a problem with their trucks, they have a huge problem with customer service.

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Good documentation, you're going to need it so copy and post it to a note in your phone. It sounds like wheel bearings to me. I'd have someone knowledgeable about things follow you on the highway while the truck is acting up and they should be able to isolate the problem by watching the rear wheels for hopping or shimmy. If the shimmy is gone its most likely in the axle carrier (most likely bearings).

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Subscribed to this.

I've been working with my local dealer on a similar issue (shaking starts at 68 MPH, continues beyond 80 MPH) and have not found a cure yet.

At first they blamed the aftermarket wheels and tires. I had them road force balanced, then tried a stock set, and no change was noted. The dealer replaced the driveline to no avail. The technician is back to blaming the wheels and tires. I don't agree with his assessment as the issue didn't go away when we swapped in the stock units.

My next step is to open a case at Chrysler Cares. Hopefully someone will answer the phone when I call.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i have no input on your shaking, but your issues with chrysler customer care sound a lot like mine. they are nice to talk to and they help get dealerships involved, but as far as actually helping fix the problem and/or getting the dealers to fix the damage they cause, they are useless. i sold my last truck so i wouldnt have to deal with it anymore and i had no other options. it sounds like your truck is new enough for lemon law. if you have proof the dealer admits there is a problem that they cannot fix, i would start talking to a lawyer about what your options are. at the least, that might light a fire under chrysler's ass to fix it. had i not been past that time frame, thats exactly what i would have done.

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm sure this won't make you feel better but GM has similar issues. When I had my Silverado the forums I was on were full of pissed off people who paid 50+K for trucks that had 'the shakes' (similar to yours) and GM could not solve. Several were able to negotiate buy backs with GM.

Good luck!

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
My wife and I bought a new Ram 3500 in May 2016, but never really got on the highway other than to go to and from work which, in traffic, doesn’t allow for much, if any, high speed driving. Sometime early June we took a trip to Cape Girardeau MO and noticed that highway speeds around 70-72 mph and higher the truck has a very noticeable side to side shake that seemed to be coming from the back of the vehicle which could be felt in the floor and thru the seats.

The following Monday we called our dealership and told them about our issue and said that we are about to go out of town for a week and asked if we could bring in the truck after that which would be after the 4th of July weekend. They said “it sounds like a tire issue, just bring it in when you get back.”

I dropped off the truck and was called a couple of days (or so) later and was told “we balanced the tires and had a mechanic drive it and it’s fine.”

After driving the truck I discovered that it was not fine. I called the dealership and they told me to drop it off again. I dropped off the truck and was called a couple of days (or so) later and was told it was fixed. They did a high spin balance (not sure what it’s called) and rotated the tires.

After driving the truck, again it was not fixed. This time when I called I talked to the service manager John. He apologized because it was still not fixed and said the mechanics test driving the vehicle after the repair did not understand the problem and this time he would personally drive it to make sure it was fixed. He said during their high speed spin balance attempt they found tire that was not perfect so, he would order one and call when it came in. The tire came in a few days later and I dropped the truck off again.

A couple of days (or so) later John called and said “I’m sorry but I don’t know what’s going on with the truck.” He said putting on the new tire did not change anything, if fact, he said we took a different set of tires and wheels off another truck and it still did not fix the problem. He said he would contact Chrysler to get an engineer involved.

A week or so later John called and said we have done all that we can do and you can pick up your truck. He said they worked on the hubs, the axles and lastly did something in the rear end but cannot correct the problem. He said the Chrysler field engineer told him that he was familiar with that problem and it can range from speeds of 60 – 80 mph and “that is an inherent problem with those trucks and cannot be corrected.”

The next day (Saturday) I went to pick up the truck, the service department was closed so, I talked to the sale manager Jason. He gave me a phone number for Chrysler and said that I needed to call Chrysler and explain what was going on. When I started driving home I discovered a very loud whining noise in the rear end so, I went back to the dealership. I explained everything to Jason and asked him to take a ride in the truck with me so he could explain the whining noise it to John, the service manager, on Monday. He said “I don’t have time.” I left the truck there.

I called the service manager on Monday and told him that I could be there right after work and asked him to ride with me and he agreed. Soon after leaving the dealership we heard the loud whining noise. I said “that doesn’t sound good, should I still go onto the highway?” He said yes. After reaching the highway and getting the truck up to the 70-72 mph needed for the shaking to start, I asked John “am I making too big of deal out of this? If this was your truck would you be happy?” He said “no I would not.” I said “this truck has a problem” and he agreed. We went back to the dealership and dropped off the truck. John said he would call when the whining issue was fixed and told me that I need to call the 1-800 number for Chrysler to get shaking issue resolved.

I called Chrysler when I got home. A young man took my information and told me someone would be in touch the next day. The next day a young lady called from Chrysler (I believe her name is Sharray). I explained the situation to her and she said she would contact my dealership and get back to me by next Friday.

Next Friday, Sharray, with Chrysler called and said that she still did not know what was going on because she could not reach anyone at the dealership. I said “how is it possible that you could not get in touch with them over an entire week?” We went back and forth for a while until she finally said, “I will try to contact them again and call you back by next Wednesday.”

Next Wednesday, she called (talked to my wife) and said the parts for the rear end would be in and your truck should be fixed next Tuesday and I will call you then.

Next Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday Sharray did not call. (I called the dealership on Friday)

Three weeks went by and still no call from Chrysler. I went online to “Chrysler Forum” and posted our problem and asked for help. The next day ChryslerCares (Andrea) asked me to send her my VIN number and personal information and she would look into it.

Andrea called (talked to my wife) and said that she wanted Sharray to handle the problem since she was our case worker and she would only get involved after that.

My wife called Sharray four times over Thursday and Friday, left two messages and got no replay. On Monday my wife called and asked to speak to Sharray’s supervisor. Instead, they connected her to Sharray. Sharray told my wife that we need to take the truck to the dealership and tell them it shakes. My wife said “that’s why it has been in there since July”, Sharray said I need to contact your dealership.

(7:00 am Tuesday – 9/27) I emailed Andrea @ ChryslerCares and told her about Sharray and asked her to please move this to the next step or at least assign us a different case worker because Sharray obviously does not understand what is going on. We have not heard anything.

Thursday – 9/29 have not heard from Sharray or Andrea. My wife called Chrysler again and asked to speak to Sharray’s supervisor. The young man asked why she needed to speak to her supervisor so, she explained everything. He said “I’m sorry, I will see what I can do and if nothing else, I will call the dealership and call you back by the end of the day.” That evening, Sharray called and said she contacted the dealership and told me to take the truck back up there and she would have a Star engineer involved to correct the issue. I said “we have already done that, is the dealership aware we are bringing the truck back?” She said “yes, I just spoke with them.”

The next morning (9/30) I called Rodney (our new service manager) and explained everything Sharray said to me. He said “I am not aware that you need to bring the truck back up here.” He said “I told Sharray yesterday that we have already had the Star engineer from Chrysler involved and there is no more that we or Chrysler can do.” Rodney apologized and said that he would talk to his supervisor. Later that day he called me at home and said “Mr. Beck we contacted a Chrysler field engineer again and he said, that is just what those trucks do. The issue can happen anywhere from 60-80 mph and there is nothing Chrysler can do about it.” Rodney said that he would call Sharray again and let her know.

Rodney told me on Monday that he left her a message on Friday but, she has not called.

Tuesday (10/4) I did not hear anything from Chrysler so, I called and left a voice mail with Sharray explaining what our dealership told me and asked her to please call our dealership and then call us. My wife also called and asked to speak to a supervisor and was told, “I will have a supervisor call you.” They did not.

Wednesday (10/5) my wife called Chrysler again and was told, “I promise you, a supervisor will call before the end of the day”.

Thursday (10/6) we have not heard anything from anyone at Chrysler.

My wife and I have been loyal Chrysler customers for many years but, are very concerned about pulling a 40’ (over 13,000 lbs) camper with a truck that shakes. We are very disappointed in them and are just exhausted over this entire ordeal and feel that we are getting the run-around from them. We are now making our fourth payment on a $60,000 vehicle that we cannot use for our intended purpose. We believe that we have been more than patient with this problem and we are not asking for anything more than what anyone would expect when purchasing any product.

Chrysler Cares? Really, it doesn’t feel like it!! We have now filed complaints with the states attorney general’s office and the Better Business Bureau.

Chrysler not only has a problem with their trucks, they have a huge problem with customer service.

Hi Ram3500,

I apologize for the delay, the email address I gave you is a group email and it got lost in our inbox. I will follow up with you today, again I apologize for this inconvenience.

Andrea
Ram Social Care Specialist

Chuck14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
ramcares,

So what do you believe the issue is? I have the same issue in my 2014 2500 CC 6.4L. I have had the tires balanced 3 times so far with the truck having just 13K miles.

I will add that my dealership is great but they have no way to drive the truck as local roads are limited to 50 MPH and the closest road to get to that speed is 50 miles away.

Who should I be calling / writing to get this fixed?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OP's experience is similar to an issue I'm having but with with a different component of my truck. The tranny in my 2104 Hemi failed completely at 38K miles. After being rebuilt it seemed better but is now starting to thump and shudder. It also has a very hard downshift at 2-1. I spent 3 hours in the dealership Friday and was basically told this is just the way it is.

After owning Ford, Chevy, Nissan and Toyota trucks over the last 20 years I can tell you Ram and their customer service and caring is at the bottom of the list by a mile. Spending 40K+ for a truck and fearing it's going to leave me stranded beside the road is frustrating to say the least. I absolutely love many aspects of my truck but can't imagine ever buying another Ram product with this kind of support.

Good luck OP. You're doing a great job documenting everything.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
OP dropped this War and Peace novel and has not been back since his first post.

That being said, this is what the Lemon laws are for and he needs to follow that process.