6.4 Hemi Fuel System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rabbitreborn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hey, I just took my 2016 tradesman 2500 with a 6.4 in for an oil change at 17k and the service writer is telling me that I need to have a fuel system cleaning done every 15k miles.

Has anyone else been told that their vehicles had to have this done to preserve the warranty? They want $200 to clean the injectors and put an additive into the tank to eliminate moisture. I regularly run a can of seafoam about every 3rd tank of fuel. When I said that to him, he said this was a deep clean and had to be done per Ram.

Any thoughts on this?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I am with tjfdesmo. Load of BS. He is just trying to up-sell you to pad his paycheck.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Show me where this is listed in the manual and mandatory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whsk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
BS to the nth degree!

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hey, I just took my 2016 tradesman 2500 with a 6.4 in for an oil change at 17k and the service writer is telling me that I need to have a fuel system cleaning done every 15k miles.

Has anyone else been told that their vehicles had to have this done to preserve the warranty? They want $200 to clean the injectors and put an additive into the tank to eliminate moisture. I regularly run a can of seafoam about every 3rd tank of fuel. When I said that to him, he said this was a deep clean and had to be done per Ram.

Any thoughts on this?

This is not to "preserve the warranty" it is to preserve their bottom line! :bs:
Unless you are running ass juice through it you should never have to do a "deep clean!" If you throw a can of Seafoam, Lucas, or any good brand cleaner through it 3 or 4 times a year you are going to be just fine.
Kills me some of the **** they try & pull! :shakehead:

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's fckn priceless lol

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ask for it in writing for further inquiry with Ram.

AlphaCT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
That's BS! Glad you asked on here before giving away your money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yep, as the others said total BS. Unless it's in the manual it's not required to maintain the warranty. Also, I'd never tell the dealer of any aftermarket anything I put in my truck. Kind of like the police say - anything you say can and will be used against you :)

Granted, it's a stretch but you admitting using something not blessed by Ram could complicate a warranty claim down the road.

Ndziy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
See this is exactly why people choose independent shop as opposed to the dealer... Like that's a load of horse poo lol I remember they changed my oil when I first bought my truck and since they took my tires off they asked me to come back after 80 clicks to get my tires re torqued. So me at this time didn't have access to the shop privileges I have now I went back and got them torqued and they told me to stay in the truck and pop the hood. The little f****er checks my dip stick and he comes over to the window and says "uh when was the last time you got your oil changed?" Just being an actor right, so I asked him where he got the paper towel from that had that dark of oil on it because I got it changed yesterday here and he literally looked me in the eye and lied through his teeth till to the point where I showed him my bill the sticker in the window and continued to pull my dip stick

Sent from my LG-K210 using Tapatalk

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Wow, that's crazy. Yeah, I've ordered the full owners manual for my 17 from Ram and that's no where in there, about the fuel system cleaning. Such total, complete BS .

And they wonder why they get the reputation of. " stealers"

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I believe my manual says something about a fuel induction service which is probably what the dealership is referring to. I think that was supposed to be around 24,000 or 30,000 miles. I had it done because my dealership gave me a lifetime powertrain warranty when I bought my truck.

It's definitely not every 15,000 though.

nukegm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
if you guys use " top tier " fuel you will have no need for this bullcrap service.

top tier fuel has the detergents and additives in it to keep the fuel system all clean.

grocery store fuel is junk. no add packs.

OP
OP
R

rabbitreborn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Spoke with Ram Customer Care (2 different people on the phone) and also went to another dealership. All 3 confirmed that the only maintenance I am required to do to preserve the warranty is what is in the owners manual. And nowhere in the owners manual does it call for a "Fuel System Service" to be performed.

I spoke with the shop manager at the original dealership and he still insists that there was a TSB that says that if the service is not performed every 15k miles then Chrysler will void the warranty on any future injector issues. Supposedly he is going to email me a copy of the TSB.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spoke with Ram Customer Care (2 different people on the phone) and also went to another dealership. All 3 confirmed that the only maintenance I am required to do to preserve the warranty is what is in the owners manual. And nowhere in the owners manual does it call for a "Fuel System Service" to be performed.

I spoke with the shop manager at the original dealership and he still insists that there was a TSB that says that if the service is not performed every 15k miles then Chrysler will void the warranty on any future injector issues. Supposedly he is going to email me a copy of the TSB.

Think of it this way, even if he was right, that is akin to you PAYING to retain your factory warranty. It is above an beyond normal maintenance and should be covered BY them since it is not in your manual. Good on you for checking other dealerships.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score

Post up if he supplies a copy, but I would advise against holding your breath for it...

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Funny you posted this. I've been getting my service done by the same dealership and same service rep for my last 4 oil changes. They've never tried to upsale me on anything which is why I've always went back. This time I got the same b.s. as you did. I told him I'd run some injector cleaner through it and it's fine. Was gonna be $125.00 for that. He had over $500 worth of crap they wanted to do and I told him not to even waste his time reading it.

I have 10,000 miles of warranty left, then I'm switching over to doing everything myself.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
While we are on the subject, when I had my 2013 f150, the dealer wanted $400 to do a brake fluid flush to retain my "lifetime warranty" they push at sales. I had under 20000 miles on the truck. Also wanted $100 to clean battery posts, which had no corrosion on them at all.