Do You Like Your Ram 2500 Hemi? (2011 and Up)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you don't get a Power Wagon you will still suffer from "Power Wagon envy". I know, I've been there, it's real. Now that I have one, there's no looking back!!!

While the PW is nice I don't like its 1/2 ton payload (~1500 lbs depending on trim) I actually use my 2500 to haul loads, so no envy in that dept. :roflsquared:

I see you have a 3500 diesel for the heavy stuff :favorites13:

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have both. 1500/2500
There are pros and cons to both. I have both tuned and bolt on mods.

1500 flat out hauls *#%, braking and steering are awesome. The eight speed is awesome as well. Only thing I dislike is it drives like a car more than a truck.

2500 is fast but I can notice the extra weight. Brakes are just ok. Steering is more like a truck. Get noticed more when I drive the 2500. More of a work horse than the 1500.

Hate to say it but I like both. Do not have a favorite. Just pick which one for what I am about to do at the time.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I love my 17 2500 6.4. It's a great truck, nothing fancy, don't care I'm a country hick and don't need all the bells and whistles.

Trading from my 2015 1500 Silverado to this ram was one of the best moves I've ever made. Is it perfect? No, but none are. Overall, i love it.

RAM/FCA - you've got a good thing going with these trucks. Don't make any major changes and ruin what these trucks are. Big, tall, commanding HD trucks that will work. Keep things going like you have in my 17 with the stout frame and suspension pieces, V8 power and price, and you will have converted this Ford man to a Ram man.

Last edited:

Kingsize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Absolutely in love with mine, and get complements/questions all the time. I now have right at 5k miles on her since February.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20170516_120142.jpg
    20170516_120142.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 324

Blue Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 POWER WAGON & 1979 W150
Engine
6.4L HEMI & 440 Wedge
While the PW is nice I don't like its 1/2 ton payload (~1500 lbs depending on trim) I actually use my 2500 to haul loads, so no envy in that dept. :roflsquared:

I see you have a 3500 diesel for the heavy stuff :favorites13:

The 3500 was traded in on the 1500 that was traded in on the Power Wagon. "1500 lbs pay load, isn't that 3/4 of a ton? IE 3/4 ton truck.:happy107:

Bama_ram_1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 14 1500 crew cab. I loved the ride and handling. I traded for a 2500 because I needed to tow a heavy band trailer. I bought a 2500 heavy duty 4x4. Love it for it's pulling capacity. It rides is very stiff. A good bump feels like hitting a mountain at times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Boudreaux

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4 2500 4x4, I am very happy with my truck. It has plenty of power! I was pulling at my max combined gvwr and was able to pull it in 5th and getting around 8mpg with plenty of pedal left. I was very impressed. Things I am not happy with is the wind noise from the xm antenna, had to change a shift solenoid at 17,000 miles, and I have a transmission shudder when taking of from a stop that's seems to be getting more frequent.

Will Ram 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
6.4 2500 4x4, I am very happy with my truck. It has plenty of power! I was pulling at my max combined gvwr and was able to pull it in 5th and getting around 8mpg with plenty of pedal left. I was very impressed. Things I am not happy with is the wind noise from the xm antenna, had to change a shift solenoid at 17,000 miles, and I have a transmission shudder when taking of from a stop that's seems to be getting more frequent.

My transmission shudder is getting more frequent. I'm at 46k miles.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My transmission shudder is getting more frequent. I'm at 46k miles.

Mine is not hugely noticable, but it is there (shudder) I do not think it is the tranny, I think its driveline geometry somewhere. Has anyone been to the dealer over the issue? Im waiting to go in to the dealer after camping season and see what they say, I mentioned it last oil change and they did a tranny flash which did nothing, nor did I expect it to as I said I believe it to be driveline related... Per a TSB 03-003-04

Note, i know this is on older models, but it fits mine EXACTLY to a TEE..

Date: June 15, 2004

Models: 2003 - 2004 (DR) Ram Truck

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a two piece rear driveshaft.

Overview:
This bulletin involves adjusting the propeller shaft working angles.

Symptom/Condition:
A vehicle may exhibit a drive line shudder or vibrations while accelerating from a stop. The
condition is most noticeable under heavy throttle acceleration and is usually only present a low
speeds (below 25 m.p.h.).

Diagnosis:
Vehicles equipped with a two piece driveshaft are designed to minimize reaction forces which
result from the universal joint transmitting torque at an angle. These forces can not be
eliminated entirely because of the necessity to compromise joint angle selection between curb
and design loading conditions. When subjected to this vibration, the vehicle experiences a
shudder type disturbance, generally occurring less than 25 mph. This disturbance will increase
as the suspension moves further from its design load (typically two front passengers). The
forces are also torque sensitive, which means the disturbance, will be highest under wide open
throttle.

U-joint angles change depending upon the amount of weight applied to the vehicle bed,
therefore u-joint angle readings may need to be taken with different vehicle loads in order to
obtain a satisfactory compromise. The vehicle should be evaluated under the loaded condition
that produces the objectionable disturbance.

This video shows it well..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pczlPVFR1w8

Last edited:

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Mines JUNK....Worst H.D. truck I ever owned.....:puke:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2014 Hemi 6.4 4X4 - My tranny blew @ 38K and was rebuilt under warranty. It's still pretty much crap and I keep waiting for it to blow again. I get a bit of the shudder at takeoff that I think is being talked about. But I really get a terrible shudder when downshifting into 2nd a few times a week. Of course, this is all in addition to the terrible gear ratios and terrible shifting behavior this tranny is designed with.

As typical for Chrysler/Ram/Dodge products my dealer just says the infamous, "They all do that". I've given up caring as it doesn't really impact the drive-ability on a day to day basis.

Aside from the transmission I'd give my truck a solid A. It's super comfortable, very quiet inside, the engine is a beast for a gasser and the Ram is cheaper than a comparable Chevy/GMC or Ford by thousands.

I have this thing about 75% paid for and have a lifetime warranty so I think I'm in it for the long haul. If not for the warranty I'd have bailed long ago. Of course, if I had to bet if I'd be driving this truck a year from now I'd say it's a coin toss. I'm one breakdown while out camping away from having it towed to a dealer and driving out with a new Cummins :) Granted, it only stranded me once with the tranny but @ 38K miles I'm still holding a grudge.

VicViper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Love the truck, but I get a rattling noise around 45 to 50 mph...brakes creak when I put it in drive or reverse. Lost power one time leaving my driveway...hit the gas and it hesitated to throttle up. Might just have a bad apple.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
2014 Hemi 6.4 4X4 - My tranny blew @ 38K and was rebuilt under warranty. It's still pretty much crap and I keep waiting for it to blow again. I get a bit of the shudder at takeoff that I think is being talked about. But I really get a terrible shudder when downshifting into 2nd a few times a week. Of course, this is all in addition to the terrible gear ratios and terrible shifting behavior this tranny is designed with.

As typical for Chrysler/Ram/Dodge products my dealer just says the infamous, "They all do that". I've given up caring as it doesn't really impact the drive-ability on a day to day basis.

Aside from the transmission I'd give my truck a solid A. It's super comfortable, very quiet inside, the engine is a beast for a gasser and the Ram is cheaper than a comparable Chevy/GMC or Ford by thousands.

I have this thing about 75% paid for and have a lifetime warranty so I think I'm in it for the long haul. If not for the warranty I'd have bailed long ago. Of course, if I had to bet if I'd be driving this truck a year from now I'd say it's a coin toss. I'm one breakdown while out camping away from having it towed to a dealer and driving out with a new Cummins :) Granted, it only stranded me once with the tranny but @ 38K miles I'm still holding a grudge.

Oh yeah a Cummins would be nice, I think about is sometime but when I think about coins that I would have to come up with I stop thinking about it, hmm maybe one day. My truck is not bad really, I like to drive it so it's a keeper.

VicViper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The secret to the 6.4 is low mods and routine maintenance. Now Chrysler transmissions are designed to fail...so I bought my truck fully expecting the tranny to blow. Other than that I wish I had a Cummins and an Aisin...but if I could of afforded all that I would of bought an power wagon...I love what I got though and I plan on keeping her.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I love mine. Gonna have to get the wife a truck soon and will probably get a 1500.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I love mine. Gonna have to get the wife a truck soon and will probably get a 1500.

Except for the 8 recalls mine has been great. The one exception is the overhead map lights which are very dim and flicker. Some have said they had theirs replaced under warranty and they did the same thing as before.

67Guzzler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Love it. One of the best HD Trucks I've ever owned.

IMG_20170123_080613.jpg

-Guzzler

Last edited:

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Except for the 8 recalls mine has been great. The one exception is the overhead map lights which are very dim and flicker. Some have said they had theirs replaced under warranty and they did the same thing as before.

Mines not perfect by any means. I had a f150 before and had many more problems plus my dealer was horrible.
I've got a rear end whine that seems to be getting worse and my hands free texting quit working.