How much 5th wheel can I haul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Towing rating and payload capacity are two completely different things. payload capacity is truck only based on the axle rating, frame and braking and class of truck. Towing is based on exactly that towing, but you cannot exceed the payload capacity of the axles on the truck, so if you have a bumper pull you cannot max the payload with whatever then add a 1000# tongue weight as it will put you over.

Trailer weight is where your max towing come into, its tongue weight is where the payload capacity comes in and GCVW is your max allowed per DOT and is what dictates the required licensing to pull such a weight in many states

Maybe this will help show the info better. Basically the more your truck weighs the less your trailer can weigh is my point

http://fifthwheelst.com/documents/ram/2015-ram-3500-tow-chart.pdf

OP
OP
Blazin383

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah, I've already gone back and forth several times. Kinda kicking myself for not checking the 5th Wheel Prep box on the order form when I ordered the truck, but at that time I wasn't even entertaining the idea of a 5th wheel! My wife just shakes her head!

Now I'm a little concerned that a 32' tow behind may limit many of the Pacific Northwest campground sites that can't handle that long of an RV. Ugh! Decisions decisions!

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I've already gone back and forth several times. Kinda kicking myself for not checking the 5th Wheel Prep box on the order form when I ordered the truck, but at that time I wasn't even entertaining the idea of a 5th wheel! My wife just shakes her head!

Now I'm a little concerned that a 32' tow behind may limit many of the Pacific Northwest campground sites that can't handle that long of an RV. Ugh! Decisions decisions!

After pulling a 40' full throttle toy hauler, I will never again go with a long trailer like that, but most sites with a good driver should be able to accommodate a 32' trailer.

My Alpenlite 35rk didn't have any problems getting into your average site.

Did I scan over and read right that your will be going with a bumper pull or a 5th wheel?

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 33' (coupler to rear bumper) pull bebind and most places accommodate it just fine. Some very commercial campgrounds are a little tighter, but usually have something for larger trailers. Been to 3 State Parks with tons of room. A buddy here on the site has a longer bumper pull than mine and he hasn't had any issues in the multitudes of places he's been (VA, MD, PA, DE, GA, FL).

You can easily find a 5th wheel that will be slighlty shorter and have around 2K pin load. There are some nice ultra light 5th wheels too under 8K lbs if you don't need a mansion on wheels. I personally wanna go back to a shorter hybrid w/slides simply for trying more off the beaten path camping locations.

Last edited:

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine

The hensley hitch will help with the tight quarters... i could turn nearly 90* with my pro pride and camper.

OP
OP
Blazin383

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
After pulling a 40' full throttle toy hauler, I will never again go with a long trailer like that, but most sites with a good driver should be able to accommodate a 32' trailer.

My Alpenlite 35rk didn't have any problems getting into your average site.

Did I scan over and read right that your will be going with a bumper pull or a 5th wheel?

That's the dilemma! I've been back and forth several times, but currently looking at a 32" tow behind. My wife is afraid we won't be able to find campgrounds with an abundance of spaces to handle it. Was you Alpenlite 35rk a 5th wheel or TT?

drinking12many

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a 2015 6.4L with 3.73 I have a 30ft TT, I think its about 7400lbs dry. I have towed it all over the Appalachians with an older 5.7 2500, and my 6.4 this one does just fine. Will the gas mileage suck...of course but it will do it just fine provided your not trying to do 75.

Last year I moved from WV to Western FL and choose to live in the TT until my family moved down and I towed the TT, a 7500w generator, many of my belongings etc the almost 1000 miles to here and overall I feel it was fantastic. While I know many prefer a diesel and sometimes I wish I had one too, overall I know hauling my TT 10 times or so a year I just can't justify it.

Biggest thing to me is that if I did upgrade to a 5th I would probably want a toy hauler 5th and that pretty much would force me to a 3500 Diesel. Most of the ones I could tow now just wouldnt work for me since I have 3 small children and a bunk house is pretty much required and thats hard to find in a 5th usually unless its a toyhauler with the beds in the back and many of those are about 15K empty and up, then throw atv or whatever and your definitely not doing it with this.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's the dilemma! I've been back and forth several times, but currently looking at a 32" tow behind. My wife is afraid we won't be able to find campgrounds with an abundance of spaces to handle it. Was you Alpenlite 35rk a 5th wheel or TT?

It was a 5th wheel, honestly with those weighs and sizes I wouldn't go for anything but a 5th wheel personally. My "adopted grandparents" had a 24' bumper pull trailer I'd pull often for them, I hated it. My 35' or even the 40' toy hauler we had on the ranch were better on the road with better road manners. but that is also personal preference so I don't want to say or imply one is better than the other. It also may have been better cause they were pulled hooked to a trailersaver 3000 air ride 5th wheel. we also converted the gooseneck horse trailers to a 5th wheel for the horses to be on air also.

I'm not a huge fan of pulling more than 9-10k behind a pickup even a 1ton dually. anything over 10k put the hitch in the bed.

Also with your concern or maneuvering the thing around a driver can pretty much turn a bed mounted hitch type trailer around within the length of the trailer. Not an option with a bumper pull.

I'd go rent one of each style and see which one suits you and your wifes needs and comfort the best before you pull the trigger on anything. Learn what you like and don't like before the commitment

Edit: forgot to mention you get more "length" with less overall length cause the trailer is measured kingpin to rear and generally most 5th wheels you get a few extra feet infront of the kingpin. that isn't an option with a bumper pull.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I lot of the experience pulling a TT will depend on tongue weight and hitch. My dad has a Stryker 2912. 9,999 GVW and it tows like crap without sway control. Not enough tongue weight. With just his RZR loaded in backwards it tries to wag the dog, and his dog is a 2012 Cummins DRW CC with a topper, 57gal aux tank, and a Honda 3000 inverter. Not a light truck at all. He warned me when I borrowed it for a weekend. Not much fun to tow behind my 2500 hemi. We ordered a friction type sway brake and he says it's a night and day difference.

My WnP loaded with 2 RZRs goes down the road nice and straight. My father remarked about it when we towed it with his truck without any sway control. But then it has 70% more empty tongue weight.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Don't worry too much about the 5th wheel prep thing. I think I only paid $150 to have the outlet installed in my bed. I think that's all there is to it.

As for the TT/5th debate you're right where I was. For some comparison my new 36 foot 5th extends behind my truck about 1' further than my old 31' (total length ball to bumper) TT. The 5th just gives you way more usable space and storage (of course you lose storage in the bed of the truck though). In the end my fear of having 35'+ TT behind me for campgrounds and parking made me go with the 5th wheel. Watch out though, it's an expensive game.... my B/W slider hitch was nearly 2K installed (part of that was the $150 outlet wiring).

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yea that's one of the additional issues with 5th wheels, the hitch cost. The B&W stuff is the way to go for 5th wheels though. When I got my Ram I was seriously considering the B&W Turn-Over-Ball setup and trading in the pull behind. After looking around it was very deflating realizing you have to add another $2500 in hitch work to the $40-$50K new trailer price tag. In comparison it was only $500 for my Equalizer 12K and have zero sway or bounce issues. The 2500 suspension and its class V receiver is great for pull behinds.

One other thing to consider is the height of a 5th wheel trailer. Make sure there aren't any clearance issues at the places you like to camp or store it. If you do go 5th wheel make sure it has an auto level suspension and dual ducted A/C units.

Tough decision, but you'll have a blast searching & comparing.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
the Curt Q 20 runs in the $400-500 range and is a great hitch. Same quality as the B&W? No, probably not but does the same thing... Ram must trust in the curt series as the hitch Ram sells is just a Curt with the "Ram" sticker on it...

installing the rails and such really isn't that terribly hard. I was able to do it... :p

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the Curt Q 20 runs in the $400-500 range and is a great hitch. Same quality as the B&W? No, probably not but does the same thing... Ram must trust in the curt series as the hitch Ram sells is just a Curt with the "Ram" sticker on it...

installing the rails and such really isn't that terribly hard. I was able to do it... :p

You're right, Curt Manufacturing makes good stuff too. I liked the the Turn-Over-Ball because there's no rails and you can easily pull the main hitch apparatus out leaving the floor completely flat. Its gonna cost more of course, but I'd go that route if I was gonna do it.

Found a better pic for the OP to judge length.

Attachments

• 20150907_111747.jpg
    20150907_111747.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
OP
OP
Blazin383

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Great info!

So, if I decide to stay with the TT, what hitch brand / model is most highly regarded for sway control? One used trailer I'm considering comes with a Hensley Hitch which they say is about $3K! I've watched some YouTube videos and it seems pretty sweet, even though unless I buy that trailer I doubt I'd spring for one!

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
If you go the 5'er route, you can add the puck system to your truck.
I added mine. Took about 3 hrs by myself. I didn't add the inbed plug, as I had already utilized that wiring for lights I installed in my backrack. The 5'res umbilical cord is plenty long enogh to reach the bumper plug.

Just make sure the parts department orders the kit for a 2500, as the 3500 kit is different.
Had know clue the frames are different between the 2500, and 3500 until I tried to install a 2500 kit on my 3500. My dealer was great, and gave me a break on the correct kit.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Great info!

So, if I decide to stay with the TT, what hitch brand / model is most highly regarded for sway control? One used trailer I'm considering comes with a Hensley Hitch which they say is about $3K! I've watched some YouTube videos and it seems pretty sweet, even though unless I buy that trailer I doubt I'd spring for one!

if you go bumper pull the Hensley/Pro pride are the best in my opinion. Far cry for needed but they are nice. they are actually like $2000 new from their sites. You can sometimes find used ones or even refurbished ones from Propride. Sean with pro pride (the owner) is fantastic to work with!

as far as bumper hitches just make sure you get one that has weight distribution bars that double as your friction sway control. Ones with separate friction plates for sway control suck, not much else to say about them.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi

Where can you get it for that price? I see them running like 800.00. Is that price just for the head? One site I looked at the Q16 was 819.00, the Q20 was 879.00 and the Q24 was 896.00, but that included the 4 leg ram set up.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Where can you get it for that price? I see them running like 800.00. Is that price just for the head? One site I looked at the Q16 was 819.00, the Q20 was 879.00 and the Q24 was 896.00, but that included the 4 leg ram set up.

Amazon.

$458 for the standard legs and $894 for the ram legs. both with the hitch head.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Amazon.

$458 for the standard legs and $894 for the ram legs. both with the hitch head.

So because I have the hockey pucks it's more exspensive. But even with the standard legs one needs a rail kit and mounting hardware so that 458.00 gonna go up to 600.00'plus.

For those of us with the pucks we could buy the ram adapter to use the regular legs but that contraption is anothe 350.00 or so and its hokey.

Last edited:

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Carid.com has the curt e16 for $562, and the q16 for $639. With heads.
I found a e16 last winter for $320 including shipping. I tried looking for the website, but can't find it.