How much 5th wheel can I haul

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Carid.com has the curt e16 for $562, and the q16 for $639. With heads.
I found a e16 last winter for $320 including shipping. I tried looking for the website, but can't find it.

I priced out the Q24 on Carid.com

Subtotal: $729.24
Shipping cost: $191.21
TOTAL: $920.45

I priced out the Q16
Subtotal: $639.24
Shipping cost: $191.21
TOTAL: $830.45

They have a 5% cupon code on the site CURT-5-OFF but I cannot get it to work
Etrailer prices are a few dollars more but free shipping.

Either way any Q model is gonna be better than 800.00

Last edited:

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Blazin the Hensley Arrow is supposed to be great.

I've had 2 Equalizer brand 4pt weight distribution hitches (a 10K and a 12K version). Both were/are great, especially for the price. Whatever you get make sure to get a long enough drop shank, these Rams sit real high.

OP
OP
Blazin383

Blazin383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Blazin the Hensley Arrow is supposed to be great.

I've had 2 Equalizer brand 4pt weight distribution hitches (a 10K and a 12K version). Both were/are great, especially for the price. Whatever you get make sure to get a long enough drop shank, these Rams sit real high.

Yeah, I think I already have a 7,500 lb 8" drop which works good for my boat, but may need the same drop with the heavier Class V hitch if I end up with a 10,000 lb TT.

Swinepartner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a similar question. I'm looking at the 6.4/4:10 CCSB and if we decide to upgrade to a FW, the one I'm interested to see if a Jayco Eacgle 339FLQS-max weight 12600/hitch weight 1965. I've tried to use the latest link from before on this and plugged in a lot of numbers and still am a little confused. I've looked at the towing numbers and payload seems enough and tow weight seems enough. As far as towing terrain, mostly eastern seaboard, but do like the Blue Ridge Mts/Shennadoah Vally some times too. Am I missing anything?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have a similar question. I'm looking at the 6.4/4:10 CCSB and if we decide to upgrade to a FW, the one I'm interested to see if a Jayco Eacgle 339FLQS-max weight 12600/hitch weight 1965. I've tried to use the latest link from before on this and plugged in a lot of numbers and still am a little confused. I've looked at the towing numbers and payload seems enough and tow weight seems enough. As far as towing terrain, mostly eastern seaboard, but do like the Blue Ridge Mts/Shennadoah Vally some times too. Am I missing anything?

Assuming you have a 2500 with 3000# payload??

Is that 1965# a dry hitch weight? If so, you'll be close on payload once loaded up. Basically, add a couple hundred lbs for a hitch, the additional pin weight once loaded up (200#?) then people/stuff in the truck. My pin weight was around 1800# dry and I'm right at my payload with my 3 kids, wife (about 280# between them) and a few things in the truck. Granted, my B/W slider hitch weight 250#+

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Likely would be over. That pin weight is likely optimistic. Figure 20-25% of 12,600 for realistic hitch weight loaded up and ready to camp.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Likely would be over. That pin weight is likely optimistic. Figure 20-25% of 12,600 for realistic hitch weight loaded up and ready to camp.

while i dont disagree with this my 13,000 pound camper runs about 1700 # of tongue weight. that is only 13% and it pulls just fine.

I do agree that typically that 20-25% is correct though, seems thats what the factory is aimed at...

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great topic, always fun discussion. My wife and I have a 30tt now but we were looking at 5ers last weekend. First thing I thought of was all the bed space I would be giving up, that's where I load my firewood, ladder (for cleaning tops of slides before pulling in), planks (to park on), etc. I'll be sticking with TT for now.

Interesting side note, last day of camping season here in Maine last year I saw a guy with Virginia plates pulling his camper off a seasonal site. He was driving a RAM crew cab 1500 long bed and pulling a 34' long park model camper (easily over 10k lbs). On top of that a family of 5 (not small people) were in the truck and the bed was freighted. The rear wheels were practically rubbing on the wheel wells. I wish I snapped a picture, that must have been one hell of a white knuckle drive back to VA!! Hope they actually made it :wave:

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Interesting side note, last day of camping season here in Maine last year I saw a guy with Virginia plates pulling his camper off a seasonal site. He was driving a RAM crew cab 1500 long bed and pulling a 34' long park model camper (easily over 10k lbs). On top of that a family of 5 (not small people) were in the truck and the bed was freighted. The rear wheels were practically rubbing on the wheel wells. I wish I snapped a picture, that must have been one hell of a white knuckle drive back to VA!! Hope they actually made it :wave:

you can't get a half ton with a long bed unless it is just a regular cab... the quad cab is offered with a 6'4" bed but that is not a long bed...

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you can't get a half ton with a long bed unless it is just a regular cab... the quad cab is offered with a 6'4" bed but that is not a long bed...

Ahh.. must have been a short, had so much crap in it that it just looked long :)

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Most people call the crew cab 6'4 box trucks long beds.

ctguy1300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi, I'm new to this web site and found your post while researching the purchase of a RAM 2500. I was leaning away from the diesel for a few reasons. One of them being the payload capacity. Will be buying a 5th wheel trailer in the next year or two. The one we are looking at has a pin wt. of 1840 lbs. With hitch passengers and extras it would put me over the payload capacity of 2,380 according to the RAM towing chart. After reading your post I am reconsidering the diesel. I don't want to go to the 3500 as this will also be my daily driver, so if it is true what you say then I would be well within the real capacity of the truck. If you don't mind me asking what is your background? You seem to have a good deal of knowledge on this subject. I'm glad I came across your post. Thanks.

whsk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
go as light as you can because the wind resistance will kill the gas mpg!

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
That's the dilemma! I've been back and forth several times, but currently looking at a 32" tow behind. My wife is afraid we won't be able to find campgrounds with an abundance of spaces to handle it. Was you Alpenlite 35rk a 5th wheel or TT?

I haven't had a problem getting into both government campgrounds and private. 33' bumper pull. Almost 50,000 towing miles and never couldn't set it up. Now at 55' with tow vehicle it gets pricy when I have to put it on a ferry.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hi, I'm new to this web site and found your post while researching the purchase of a RAM 2500. I was leaning away from the diesel for a few reasons. One of them being the payload capacity. Will be buying a 5th wheel trailer in the next year or two. The one we are looking at has a pin wt. of 1840 lbs. With hitch passengers and extras it would put me over the payload capacity of 2,380 according to the RAM towing chart. After reading your post I am reconsidering the diesel. I don't want to go to the 3500 as this will also be my daily driver, so if it is true what you say then I would be well within the real capacity of the truck. If you don't mind me asking what is your background? You seem to have a good deal of knowledge on this subject. I'm glad I came across your post. Thanks.

If ever there was a truck to overload GVWR safely it's a 2500 diesel. Same truck as a 3500 minus some rear suspension. Many folks will tell you to look at axle weight FAWR and RAWR posted on the door sticker for safety reasons. GVWR is clerical. This topic gets just slightly more arguments than political discussions these days so hang on to your hat when your start asking questions.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Why not get a 3500? I'm not sure where you live, but I n MN the registration is only $137 a year. The 2500 is around $600 the first year and then it tapers off over time. But it will not be down to $137 for about 8-10 years.

Plus then you have the increased spring capacity.

Good luck with the truck. I'm sure you'll like it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If ever there was a truck to overload GVWR safely it's a 2500 diesel.
Overload safely, wow!

Is sounds bad "overload safely" but the GVWR of the 3/4 ton trucks are lower for legality reasons. Some states the lower GVWR of a 2500 excludes it from of the commercial requirements of the 1 ton truck.

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Don't shy away from the 3500's as a daily driver. I went from a 2500 to a 3500 and the ride difference is negligible, unless of course you regularly drive on fire roads or live in pothole city. Now loaded down with the 5'er...hands down the 3500 wins in my book.
Around town I personally really like the way my 3500 rides & handles, but maybe I'm a bit abnormal :crazy:

7510derrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I towed my 40' Sprinter 5th wheel that stands 13'4" for about a three hour trip a few weeks ago. This camper is a wind sail!!! My truck has the 6.4 with 4.10's and I'll never do that again.

Towing in the 55pmh speed zones were...ok. The wind was pushing my 2500 all over the road. My camper weighs around 14k fully loaded so there is more weight back there than up front and it was dictating where my truck went.

Now expressways- no way!! Excelerating on the entrance ramp with any incline wasn't happening. So a mile later when I'm approaching 55pmh (in a 70 zone) it felt ok. When I throttled up to 60mph...hell no! It felt like my truck wanted to leave the transmission on the pavement. (I was using the hemifever tow tune and I had the truck in tow mode)

That's the last trip pulling our brand new camper with this truck. It's time for a 1ton diesel