My MPG,s on a 1500 mile trip.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just got back from a 1500 mile vacation.My hand calculated mileage from my 6.4 hemi (all highway miles, fuel 87 octane gas)17.5 mpg driving 58-63 MPH,15.7 MPG,s driving 75-78 MPH.No head winds not a lot of hills.Not great but what I expected..:happy107: My truck has 6,300 miles on the OD..

Last edited:

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I drive my light weight at the 58-60 category and can see right around 24-25 mpg so your 17.5 is not all that bad.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
17.5 is great. That may even creep up a little bit as the truck continues breaking in. My best ever was getting 23 on the EVIC (guessing around 20-21 actual based on normal EVIC error) doing about 60 for 100 miles. Unfortunately no pics and no real hand calc'd proof but when you keep them in the sweet spot (55-60 seems to be it), these truck do great for their size.

Your 15.7 at 75 is about what I've been seeing for the life of the truck at that speed so it seems once you get up to that speed it just doesn't matter anymore. But still, 15.7 mpg pushing a 7k # truck with the aerodynamics of a barn door down the road is pretty good.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Good job! That is good mileage for the 6.4L. What a difference speed makes.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Just got back from a 1500 mile vacation.My hand calculated mileage from my 6.4 hemi (all highway miles, fuel 87 octane gas)17.5 mpg driving 58-63 MPH,15.7 MPG,s driving 75-78 MPH.No head winds not a lot of hills.Not great but what I expected..:happy107: My truck has 6,300 miles on the OD..

That's good mpg.

I'm wondering if using the recommended 89 octane would have resulted in better mpg.

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm wondering if using the recommended 89 octane would have resulted in better mpg.

Doubtful. And most likely not enough to justify the difference in cost even if it did. That topic was beat to death a while ago but I haven't seen it pop back up here recently. The short answer from what I recall is that most of us that have tried both noticed no difference in performance and none or almost no difference in mpg. I know I noticed 0 difference personally with the first 5k miles being run on 89, and then everything else being 87.

cash4acres

4lb pompano
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L,660ftLbs=G56 Manual 6 speed
24-28Mpg freeway 9800lbs 2015 2500 QC 4x4 Camper Shell 6speed manual. :)

Heavy SOB but super efficient with Syn or Dino Oil. :crazy:

Stock except for KN drop in filter, camper shell & junk in bed = 9800lbs. :puke:

2nd set of Firestone 275 x 18" HT Highway Tires at 70-75Lbs cold. 72,500 miles :word:

No problems except "non believers" here! :flipthebird:

Last edited:

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Stock except for KN drop in filter, camper shell & junk in bed = 9800lbs. :puke:

2nd set of Firestone 275 x 18" HT Highway Tires at 70-75Lbs cold. 72,500 miles :word:

Yay. You got great MPG from your diesel stick. How is that in any way related to this topic? Please stop derailing threads with your nonsense about your diesel. If you spouted off in your own thread, people might care. But since all you seem to be able to do is derail other threads, nobody cares. :flipthebird:

OP
OP
coobie

coobie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 big horn
Engine
5.7 hemi
That's good mpg.

I ran 89 octane every day driving for a short time and never noticed a difference in MPG,s.That is why I did not run it on my vacation trip.:favorites13:

Last edited:

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I think the only reason to run 89 octane is to keep it from knocking and retarding the timing(less power) when you are towing and pushing the engine hard. Other than that, I don't think it serves any benefit.

Last edited:

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Yay. You got great MPG from your diesel stick. How is that in any way related to this topic? Please stop derailing threads with your nonsense about your diesel. If you spouted off in your own thread, people might care. But since all you seem to be able to do is derail other threads, nobody cares. :flipthebird:

Oh... You the topic sheriff? The title of this thread indicates it is about someone is reporting their fuel mileage... Pretty obvious connection I'd say. You seem to be a bit touchy when a Ram diesel owner posts his excellent fuel mileage like others are. Does your butt hurt because you are unhappy with your choice in power plant? Get over it. Your little tantrum is the real derailer... This is a Ram forum. Everyone buys what they want/need, and are welcome to contribute.

2016 Ram 3500 CTD 4x4 Crew Cab SB SRW Delmonico Red Pearl Coat.
2000 Dodge Durango 5.9L (Kept at our place in Mexico)
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 2wd Quad Cab SB SRW Silver (Sold)

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Oh... You the topic sheriff? The title of this thread indicates it is about someone is reporting their fuel mileage... Pretty obvious connection I'd say. You seem to be a bit touchy when a Ram diesel owner posts his excellent fuel mileage like others are. Does your butt hurt because you are unhappy with your choice in power plant? Get over it. Your little tantrum is the real derailer... This is a Ram forum. Everyone buys what they want/need, and are welcome to contribute.

I think Gus said what he did because Cash4acres has a habit of derailing threads with the same fuel mileage thing over and ever again even when the topic is specifically about a 6.4L's mileage. I wouldn't mind it in this thread (since technically it is not off topic) if his mileage was hand calculated and he was driving at speeds closer to what everyone else is posting.

I can see him getting that mileage (per EVIC) doing the 50 mph average like his picture states he was. However he keeps quoting non hand calculated EVIC numbers, which is usually optimistic by 2-3 mpg, at an average speed of 50 mph and comparing it to people posting hand calculated numbers doing much higher (and normal) speeds like 70 mph. That is purposely misinforming people in my book. People come here for correct information, not misinformation.

Last edited:

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I think Gus said what he did because Cash4acres has a habit of derailing threads with the same fuel mileage thing over and ever again even when the topic is specifically about a 6.4L's mileage. I wouldn't mind it in this thread (since technically it is not off topic) if his mileage was hand calculated and he was driving at speeds closer to what everyone else is posting.

I can see him getting that mileage (per EVIC) doing the 50 mph average like his picture states he was. However he keeps quoting non hand calculated EVIC numbers, which is usually optimistic by 2-3 mpg, at 50 mph to people posting hand calculated numbers doing much higher speeds. That is purposely misinforming people in my book.

I would certainly agree with you that exaggerating about fuel economy is damn annoying. I drive a diesel and my mileage is not as good as he, or my EVIC reports. I was unaware of this poster's history.... But, the fact remains, there was nothing in this topic that indicated it was limited to the 6.4L or gas engines only. I took issue with the tone of his response to what seemed like a legitimate, if not exaggerated, post.

My pet peeve is the multitude of jackwagons on these forums that are emboldened to say outrageous, or just rude things to people because of the anonymity of the medium.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I would certainly agree with you that exaggerating about fuel economy is damn annoying. I drive a diesel and my mileage is not as good as he, or my EVIC reports. I was unaware of this poster's history.... But, the fact remains, there was nothing in this topic that indicated it was limited to the 6.4L or gas engines only. I took issue with the tone of his response to what seemed like a legitimate, if not exaggerated, post.

My pet peeve is the multitude of jackwagons on these forums that are emboldened to say outrageous, or just rude things to people because of the anonymity of the medium.

Oh I agree that technically there is nothing in the thread that states it is 6.4L only. I am just stating the history we have had with Cash4acres and how he has continuously posted this stuff off topic in threads even after being asked not to. That is probably why some are a bit more hostile towards him than they would be to a regular person such as yourself.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score

This forum is better than many for its lack of wagoners.

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Truth^^^

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

I can see him getting that mileage (per EVIC) doing the 50 mph average like his picture states he was. However he keeps quoting non hand calculated EVIC numbers, which is usually optimistic by 2-3 mpg, at an average speed of 50 mph and comparing it to people posting hand calculated numbers doing much higher (and normal) speeds like 70 mph. That is purposely misinforming people in my book. People come here for correct information, not misinformation.

SouthTexan nailed it. This guy has an obnoxious habit of derailing threads with complete nonsense. As we were all clearly discussing MPG on the OPs and similar 6.4L trucks, the topic seemed fairly clear. My apologies if I came off overly hostile; the guy had just gone completely off the reservation on a thread I posted and I was a little hot under the collar about the nonsense so maybe I reacted a little strongly to him. That said, let's all drop this crap and move on back to the original topic. :favorites13:

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I just wrapped up a 667 mile trip. About 200 miles of 70 mph, 400 miles of 55-60 mph, and the rest around 80 mph. 41.6 gallons total. EVIC said 17.1 MPG's and hand calculated was 16.0 MPG's. I was unloaded except for my 18 month old son and baby stuff. My truck is stock with the 3.73's and Michelin LTX AT2's. mainly state and county roads with a little in town driving. Half hills and the other half flatland. Not bad for a 1-ton.

Attachments

• IMG_2838.jpg
    IMG_2838.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 60

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I just wrapped up a 667 mile trip. About 200 miles of 70 mph, 400 miles of 55-60 mph, and the rest around 80 mph. 41.6 gallons total. EVIC said 17.1 MPG's and hand calculated was 16.0 MPG's. I was unloaded except for my 18 month old son and baby stuff. My truck is stock with the 3.73's and Michelin LTX AT2's. mainly state and county roads with a little in town driving. Half hills and the other half flatland. Not bad for a 1-ton.

That's not bad for a 1 ton, from time to time I think about I should have gotten a 1 ton but I keep telling myself for what I use it for a 3/4 ton is good enough for me but if I had to do it over I would have bought the 1 ton.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi

You can add me to your list of 'non believers'. I know too many with these diesels and this is unheard of.