Please tell me I'm going crazy...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
After a drive. It's coming down to around 36-37 at idle, but the motor seems to have quieted down? I'm shocked that it could be the oil. Been running that Mobil one since 3500 miles, and change it every 4-4500 I was at 4100 on the oil looking at the trip, the only thing I noticed is. This oil came out a lot thinner then any time before, could the stupid hot summer we had here caused the oil to wear out sooner?????? And the evic was still reading 50% oil life left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Here was before the drive. After idling for about 15 minutes

https://vimeo.com/183715899

Didn't have time to take an after vid, as I was late leaving for work

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
That thing almost sounds like a diesel with all that clacking. Did you take it to the dealer yet?

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That thing almost sounds like a diesel with all that clacking. Did you take it to the dealer yet?

Not yet. Just changed the oil, going to run it this weekend. And next week, and change it again (so any trace of the Mobil 1 is gone)

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Wow, did any marbles fall out when you dropped the plug? There's definitely some bad stuff going on in there. Sounds like maybe an exhaust manifold leak as well, but hard to tell on video.

Do you have a OBD2 tool? It would be nice to see some numbers as well as if there are any pending codes. You haven't mentioned one, so I'm assuming you haven't had any lights. If there is an exhaust manifold leak, your Short Term Fuel Trims (STFT) on the affected bank will show high negative corrections (because there is less flow going to the O2 sensor) as opposed to near zero on the other bank. Always check them at idle and at 2500 rpms. If after taking it to 2500 rpms, the STFT immediately decreases and moves to acceptable levels and the LTFT slowly starts to come back down, you have a vacuum leak. Depending on how long this has been going on, the Long Term Fuel Trims (LTFT) could be showing a considerable difference per bank as well.

STFTs reset every time you shut the engine down. LTFTs stay in the computer unless you disconnect the battery, at which time they revert to the factory pre-programmed map as a starting point, then adjust to the motor's needs over time.

Or... just drop it off at the stealership!

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Incase this matters for much. But shouldn't. I don't have a muffler on the truck. Just a piece of pipe in its place, I'm also not going to lie and say I drive it like grandpa...

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
And far as an obd-2 tool. Don't have one or know anyone with one, no lights recently (back during winter I had the engine light flash while doing a rolling "burn out" in the snow, it stopped flashin soon as I let off the gas) and to be completely honest. The worst I did to it was showing off to a friend in a Chevy... He couldn't believe how loud the exhaust was, so I dropped it into 1st and ran it up to redline (I'm guessing that might have been a no-no, but that was atleast 5,000 miles ago. And everything had been fine up to yesterday, and far as the erratic idle, that's been like that since before winter, maybe I do have a manifold leak, kinda wondered that myself while listening

No please don't flame the living **** out of me, I'm just saying what the worst I've done to it is, only other extreme it seem was pulling a trailer coming home from Canada at -30*f. And after 20 miles of snow covered road, we got onto the main roads, and when I went to go. It was like the truck froze up/had no gas, it stumbled hard. Then came back. And was fine the rest of the way home... I wonder if the thermostat opened and flooded the motor with -30* coolant and momentary cold seized the motor???? Or am I way out left field? I know that can happen on a snowmobile. But far as a truck?

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
The 0-W40 Amsoil Signature Synthetic is MS-12633 certified. I run that since I cannot find the Pennzoil 0-W40 Ultimate Platinum anywhere except the dealership. Good luck.

Your verbiage of "certified" is misleading. Amsoil only "recommends" it for applications needing a MS-12633 oil. Like most Amsoil oils, this one has no certification or licensing to the MS-12633 FCA spec, just that Amsoil will stand by it if used in that capacity.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Your verbiage of "certified" is misleading. Amsoil only "recommends" it for applications needing a MS-12633 oil. Like most Amsoil oils, this one has no certification or licensing to the MS-12633 FCA spec, just that Amsoil will stand by it if used in that capacity.

There is no "certification" involved in meeting FCA Spec MS-12633. Hell, Pennz is in every new Dodge/Ram publication as being recommended and they don't even really spell that out in black and white. See excerpt from Pennz data sheet below. It doesn't say what is a Spec, Approval, or Recommendation, it just lumps them all together.

Pennzoil says:
PENNZOIL ULTRA PLATINUMTM 0W-40 FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL WITH PUREPLUSTM TECHNOLOGY
Specifications, Approvals & Recommendations
·Chrysler MS-12633
Exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications:
·API SN and all previous categories
For a full listing of equipment approvals and recommendations, please consult your local Shell Technical Help Desk.

Amsoil says:
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is excellent for use
in all types of gasoline-fueled passenger cars and light trucks. It
is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring
any of the following performance specifications:
0W-40 (AZF): API SN, SM…; Chrysler MS-12633, MS-10725, MS-10850;
Nissan GT-R®
AMSOIL products and formulations outperform API-licensed oils because they are engineered for top performance from the very beginning.

FYI, for anyone who uses PUP, it is currently on sale $3 off per quart at Napa. Save $21 an oil change, if that's what you use! :favorites13:

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The pressure on my 6.4 drops to 30-31 at idle, same with my 2014 5.7 half ton...nothing weird there. But that sounds is definitely worrisome in my eyes. Mine has some light chatter at start up but it calms down pretty quickly. It's definitely noisier than my 5.7 was though.

GUNNOE20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Call me crazy but no where in my book does it say that any oIL is REQUIRED it does say RECOMMENDED though. My 6.4 had a Rod knocking by 19k miles, and I also ran mobil 1... but I tow heavy with it all the time and frequently see oil Temps well over 250... hell my fan doesn't even kick in till the oil hits 250. I really don't think the oil is your problem ... I think the motor is ;) Chrysler put a new long block in my truck when I took it to the dealer with mobil 1 in the motor... they never said a word. It did take them 29 days to fix it though... sadly one day short of a lemon law lol

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi

I guess you are right, there is no cert. However, like someone else already said, it meets the req's. for MS-12633. And I would trust Amsoil to stand behind their product if there was an oil related issue. Ram would also have an issue denying my warranty if I had an oil that meets or exceeds their recommended oil spec.

I have had Amsoil in my truck for the last 5k with no issues that I know of. I would have filled it with Pennzoil, but I could not find it anywhere around here when I needed it, so I bought 2 cases of the Amsoil 0W-40 to avoid that problem in the future.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Since I've put the pennzoil mopar oil in it. She has quieted down a lot. Which I find interesting. I wonder if I had some lifters sticking?

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Update, knocking is starting back up now the oil has 500 miles on it... But I fixed the truck, stopped by a ram dealer, and looked at a 3500 tradesmen cummins, and made a deal, picking it up Monday before work

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Update, knocking is starting back up now the oil has 500 miles on it... But I fixed the truck, stopped by a ram dealer, and looked at a 3500 tradesmen cummins, and made a deal, picking it up Monday before work

Lol, the addiction is real! Hope you don't mind all the upkeep with a Cummins. Not worth it IMO unless you haul a lot or drive a ton of highway miles where the mpg will benefit you.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Lol, the addiction is real! Hope you don't mind all the upkeep with a Cummins. Not worth it IMO unless you haul a lot or drive a ton of highway miles where the mpg will benefit you.

Been doing 15-18k a year or more depending on road trips. And far as maintenance, not actually much different, at 15k I will have done 3 oil changes at $80 each, or one cummins and fuel/water filters for $250.

MN-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Been doing 15-18k a year or more depending on road trips. And far as maintenance, not actually much different, at 15k I will have done 3 oil changes at $80 each, or one cummins and fuel/water filters for $250.

I think he is referring to the exhaust part of the maintenance, but I could be wrong. I'm sure the cost of diesel exhaust maintenance will go down as long as the system doesn't change soon.

Palomba

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
we dont send the oil off. (and i sure as hell cant taste a diffrence between mobile 1 and penzoil lol) If its been changed when its supposed to, and is not super low, we dont care. Digital image it, probably have a tech tear it down and find the failure point, and then powertrain center will approve an engine, and off you go. Dont waste your money.

Master certified tech for chrysler, primarly do heavy line repairs.

Jaxyaks

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I ran the same mobil1 in mine for two cycles and it sounded like a diesel as well, switched back to the penzoil and it is much much quieter. These trucks seem to be particular with their oil. i just wish it was more available.