MDS Already Bugging Me.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoToad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Don't get me wrong. I love my new Ram. It's just that crawling around town in ECO mode I can both feel and hear it lugging along on 4 cyls. I just can't get it out of my mind that in the long run it just won't be good for it. I'm pretty old school and that always meant don't lug your engine. So I am sort of making it a point now of taking it out of ECO mode, at least for around town. Besides, trading in the old Tundra has improved the gas mileage no matter how you look at it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just hit the manual gear mode on steering wheel up to 8th. Make it a habit if it bothers U, lol. I do when in town. On hwy, not so much as almost never in an ECO mode at 85 MPH on Interstate, lol. NOTE: ECO may not always indicate in MDS mode or not, IMHO...

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Nobody who understands the phrase dynamic compression ratio is in a hurry to delete MDS.
If you understand how mds works and how many engines it's killed over the years you'd Wana delete it too. I've taken out two mds engines due to cam failure. Before anyone says anything my oc schedule was every 5k religiously.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nobody said anything about vvt and the claim that MDS is related to lifter failure has been exhaustively and effortlessly swatted away by the existence of non MDS engines experiencing the same failure.

RamRod37

2014 Ram 2500 HD 5.7 Hemi
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
mds has not one thing to do with cam & lifter failures my truck being a HD is non
If you understand how mds works and how many engines it's killed over the years you'd Wana delete it too. I've taken out two mds engines due to cam failure. Before anyone says anything my oc schedule was every 5k religiously.
mds and had lifter failure and mine is not the only non mds hemi that has had same failure

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Nobody said anything about vvt and the claim that MDS is related to lifter failure has been exhaustively and effortlessly swatted away by the existence of non MDS engines experiencing the same failure.
MDS has nothing to do with increasing dynamic compression either,VVT does though.Find me something that says MDS affects dynamic compression.I'm guessing you've never done a running compression test either have you

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I've got almost 150,000Km's on my 19' Hemi and have, let's say for arguments sake, never, used the MDS feature. I personally can't stand it, and see no benefit whatsoever of having it on at any time while driving. It also doesn't afford any type of real fuel savings as far as I'm concerned.

The bogging/sluggish feeling at low speed/low load driving is unnerving! All V8, all the time is what works for me and my truck.

I run good fuel and premium synthetic oil with a premium oil filter and keep my OCI's tight.

While I don't idle my engine, I do drive on the highway and in-town a lot for my career, and I love to drive spiritedly where the VVT kicks in and revs right out until it changes gears on its own..lol

I've never had any issues with my engine not using the MDS during my whole ownership experience.

Last edited:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For a given throttle aperture if you cut the number of cylinders drawing from it in half you double the air available to the remaining cylinders. Dynamic compression at WOT is meaningless because MDS doesn't exist at WOT. Not really all that controversial.

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I realize the technology has advanced since 1981, and car companies have figured out how to do cylinder deactivation. But I'll never stop thinking of this disaster any time anyone mentions MDS, or any other form of it. I still remember watching tv commercials for this and thinking that's a bad idea even back then when I was only 17 years old...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
For a given throttle aperture if you cut the number of cylinders drawing from it in half you double the air available to the remaining cylinders. Dynamic compression at WOT is meaningless because MDS doesn't exist at WOT. Not really all that controversial.
Not quite.If you have 1/2 the cylinders pulling in air,you also have 1/2 the manifold vaccumn to work with.When MDS kicks in,cylinder pressure in the non-mds cylinders does not go up in relation to what it would be if mds wasn't engaged

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not quite.If you have 1/2 the cylinders pulling in air,you also have 1/2 the manifold vaccumn to work with.
JFC I'm gonna just let you think about that one for a little while.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I realize the technology has advanced since 1981, and car companies have figured out how to do cylinder deactivation. But I'll never stop thinking of this disaster any time anyone mentions MDS, or any other form of it. I still remember watching tv commercials for this and thinking that's a bad idea even back then when I was only 17 years old...

Imagine judging every product of industry this way.. or why only MDS specifically and not transmissions, fuel injection, tires, nav (you don't need to figure out how to fold your android auto maps like a 1981 map...) ..

Just specifically MDS. For some reason. :p

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Don't get me wrong. I love my new Ram. It's just that crawling around town in ECO mode I can both feel and hear it lugging along on 4 cyls. I just can't get it out of my mind that in the long run it just won't be good for it. I'm pretty old school and that always meant don't lug your engine. So I am sort of making it a point now of taking it out of ECO mode, at least for around town. Besides, trading in the old Tundra has improved the gas mileage no matter how you look at it.
Put it in Tow/Haul. I do it all the time.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
JFC I'm gonna just let you think about that one for a little while.
Yea i think you better read the links i posted about how to calculate dynamic compression ratio,mds "does not" affect cylinder pressure in the non-mds cylinders. i'll let you think on that one after you figure out how dynamic compression is calculated,which it appears you don't know how it's calculated ;) Find me something that says mds is a factor in calculating dynamic compression ratio increases :rolleyes:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Show me on those calculators where to enter throttle aperture.

1699465884150.png

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Show me on those calculators where to enter throttle aperture.

View attachment 531484
Show me a calculator that calculates dynamic compression ratio increases at part throttle.You won't find one,as it's impossible to calculate a part throttle compression ratio increase.Stick a compression testor in a running engine and you'll see that