Question regarding Mega cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarBear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm looking at upgrading next year from what I have currently. I'm hoping somebody has a little more info about the 6.4 liter 3500 mega cab.

I noticed it is derated to 370 HP @ 4600 rpm, torque is the same as a 2500 mega and 3500 crew.

My question is this why is it derated? Am I getting the same 6.4 engine as every other trim?

From what I can gather it was tested differently, horsepower at 4600 rpm instead of at 5600 rpm. Is it realy as simple as them getting the horsepower number at 4600rpm instead of 5600 rpm?

Also does gearing have any effect on horsepower? I was looking at getting 4.10's. I have 3.73's currently and I'm satisfied but im upgrading my trailer next year and in addition to the truck, I want to go up to limited trim and therefore I needed the specs of a 3500 for payload capacity.

Sorry for the long winded post, ive been lurking here for a year or so and decided to just join the fun! Thanks for reading!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That's interesting about the 370HP. I have to think it's just the lower RPM but not sure why it would be listed that way.

Gear ratio has no impact on HP at the engine. The ratio is all after the HP is generated in the engine. Basically, the ratio just has to do with how the rear wheels use the HP. I suppose it could have some impact with the HP "at the rear wheels" as it's sometimes referred to. I've heard people use that terminology with dyno testing and whatnot. I'm pretty certain all the specs advertised by manufacturers are at the engine. Someone smarter than me might be able to clarify this one.

The ratio doesn't change your payload but you do get rated to pull more (GCWR). I'm guessing that is what you meant.

Welcome to the board.... lots of great folks and info here.

:favorites13:

Soldier of The Law

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My question is this why is it derated? Am I getting the same 6.4 engine as every other trim?

From what I can gather it was tested differently, horsepower at 4600 rpm instead of at 5600 rpm. Is it realy as simple as them getting the horsepower number at 4600rpm instead of 5600 rpm?!

You are correct in your thinking. It's not de-rated, just rated differently. The engine is the same as the 2500's.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 373"s... Even if I had 410"s I would still be unhappy- I plan to go to a 456 gear in the future. The above is correct for the hp/tq ratting" it's just tested differently- They are the same.

OP
OP
P

PolarBear

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thank you for the information! I might wait until the 2018's are out, I know they are doing a half-ton re-design in 2019 but I can't wait until 2020+ for the new HD's. Plus 4th gen look really good I i believe they have it dialed in.

I have thousands of trouble free miles so far, just doing oil changes and taking care of recalls that are under warranty! Very happy!

And in my opinion the best looking trucks on the road hands down.