Questions on my new 2500 6.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just trying to understand my new truck.. Have 95 miles on it so far..

There is a noticable power surge at 2500 rpm or so.. 2400 nice and low key..2500 it feels like the computer does something and suddenly it's ready for business.. I liken it to the turbos spooling up on my ecoboost although not that drastic! I take it this is normal and something to do with variable timing or something like that?

Transmission... Does the torque converter lock and unlock in every gear?

2nd and 3rd seem VERY close together and after reading about towing and downshifting from 4 to 2 I was scratching my head, but now I think I understand why. I think if I am in the mountains Ill just use manual shift.

Absolutely fantastic truck so far..

I love the fact the Tailgate locks with the Key fob when you look the doors..

Running boards get pt on today at noon.

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Welcome to "bad-ass-truck-ville"!

Transmission programming sucks. That should answer all your questions. :)

gustheram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
32k on mine but I've noticed the same. Power really kicks in around 2500 RPM. I think that's just where the power band really starts for this motor. Motor doesn't make peak torque until like 4800 so definitely not surprising to feel the power come on around 2500. The crazy thing, at least to me, is even with a truck pushing 6800lbs, I still feel like I have more than enough power for daily driving before I ever even hit the meat of the power band.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
The reason it feels like the power comes on late is because the transmission is really high geared as well as it needs to be re-tuned.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The reason it feels like the power comes on late is because the transmission is really high geared as well as it needs to be re-tuned.

Maybe Im not explaining it right.. It's more like a light switch, like at 2499, the switch is off, at 2500, it gets turned on. It really feels like an engine management system of some sort. Not the cylinder cut off type, just like a timing adjustment or something else..

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
New vehicles can act weird while the computers learn, could maybe be a bit of that. What gears do you have in the truck? Just curious.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Maybe Im not explaining it right.. It's more like a light switch, like at 2499, the switch is off, at 2500, it gets turned on. It really feels like an engine management system of some sort. Not the cylinder cut off type, just like a timing adjustment or something else..

MDS turning off?

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
New vehicles can act weird while the computers learn, could maybe be a bit of that. What gears do you have in the truck? Just curious.

3:73... I wanted 4:10 but would have had to order and since my trailer is only 6K ish it should be no problem.. Really like the way it runs!

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MDS turning off?

Nah, its under acceleration so the MDS is off already.. I think its just the truck telling me " Hey you think Im fun now, push the throttle down another few inches.."

RoadDog66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The power definitely doesn't start until at least 2500 rpms. 3K is where mine begins to shine. The MDS is mostly just an annoyance.

I'm sure the computers are still learning your driving style and will settle in. Trust me though, keep the rpms low unless you have a seriously attractive gas station attendant because you'll be filling the tank often enough as it is. Congrats & enjoy.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah, the tranny is annoying and the 3.73 gearing is annoying but the engine definitely has some balls when you get to the right RPM in the right gear. Hauling my 11k 5th wheel if I can get the RPMs up to 3500 or so in 2nd gear I can accelerate to just about speed I want up an interstate grade (about 50-70mph). The real annoyance is at slower speeds like on winding mountain roads where 1st gear gets to super high RPMs but it won't hold 2nd. If you're ever hauling heavy loads you'll likely find as others have that shifting manually is pretty much mandatory to get the most out of the truck.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I swear when I bought my Scat Pack, the power seemed to do a similar thing for the first few hundred miles. Then everything loosened up. Id just give it some time for now.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I used to experience that "hit" at 2500 until I tuned the truck.

Now it's just ON...all the time.

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, the tranny is annoying and the 3.73 gearing is annoying but the engine definitely has some balls when you get to the right RPM in the right gear. Hauling my 11k 5th wheel if I can get the RPMs up to 3500 or so in 2nd gear I can accelerate to just about speed I want up an interstate grade (about 50-70mph). The real annoyance is at slower speeds like on winding mountain roads where 1st gear gets to super high RPMs but it won't hold 2nd. If you're ever hauling heavy loads you'll likely find as others have that shifting manually is pretty much mandatory to get the most out of the truck.

I think it will be a good match for my loads, I dont expect to be over 7K pounds and most of the time around 6K.

My Ecoboost pulled the weight like it was hardly there, and the only time I saw more than 2500 RPM was if accelerating up an on ramp, even then I never saw more than 3500 RPMS..
I doubt this will pull the load as good as my 1/2 ton, But it will certainly Handle the load much better, which is what I am after. I will feel like I can venture safely a little further away from home.

rontimmer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Mine did the same thing when it was new. When I had about 5,000 miles on mine I took it into the dealer to get an oils change and they also installed some updates, after that it seemed to cure that, in fact it felt like the truck ran better with more power in general. Some people have told me that there is a programming update after the break in period that allows the motor to run a little better, don't know if that is true or an urban legend but that's what it felt like with mine.

zonacats

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 16 has a similar thing. The power will suddenly and very noticeably "switch" on right around 2900 or so under just normal acceleration. However, even more noticable in mine is what i would call a "dead spot" in the power band right before that from like 2,600 to 2,900, and its really only noticable in 2nd when normally accelerating. Its like the truck shifts to second, does fine, then hits 2,600 and theres 50 less horsepower... i can even hear it in the engine. Then around 2,900 it takes off again. Only under partial throttle.... if i floor it, it feels great through all gears.

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
the 2nd and 3rd gear ratios of the 66rfe suck, second should be lower, way too far apart from 1st gear and I think 3rd could be slightly lower

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I don't notice this with my 17, but I've been driving it like there's an egg on the skinny pedal. I have about 450 miles on her so far and all is well. Agree on the trans tuning, but that's all new trucks these days. Good move ditching the ecobust. I'm not a fan. Timing chain issues and i don't trust a forced induction gas engine long term. Just my .02

OP
OP
ronheater70

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't notice this with my 17, but I've been driving it like there's an egg on the skinny pedal. I have about 450 miles on her so far and all is well. Agree on the trans tuning, but that's all new trucks these days. Good move ditching the ecobust. I'm not a fan. Timing chain issues and i don't trust a forced induction gas engine long term. Just my .02

The potential timing chain issue was part of my decision. I Immensely enjoyed the performance of it however, but I must say its real nice to be able to open the hood of the truck and look in and see spark plug access, it's the simple things!