Bullitt's 2004 1500 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know if you know this, but with a lowered truck, you cannot use airbags for a standard height truck.

Like the build, you went lower than me.

Yeah. I do plenty of research before I buy anything. I'm getting the McGaughy's kit for trucks with the flip kit installed. I've learned too many times over my 41 years not to buy something without doing the research first.

I'm starting to think about visual mods, which means that the suspension is winding down. The bumpers are both all beat up, the tailgate has the standard dents in dings in it and I'm not a big fan of the chrome/faded black combination on the front grille and bumper. I'm thinking about body color grille, upper and lower bumpers with some black billet inserts.

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Getting ready to place a large order for more energy suspension bushings. This should take care of every bushing in the truck.

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had time to get one shock put on before dark. I'll do the other 3 tomorrow morning.

old vs. new

20150821_200504_zpse8vgm0ag.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have to put this out there:

If you're lowered and haven't went to the Belltech Street Performance shocks, you're doing yourself a disservice. I waited on mine for too long, and it was only a month since I lowered it and I've only driven it 1500 miles since. I justified not spending the money immediately because my shocks were in great shape, they weren't even weeping and still had a lot of compression resistance and good rebound. Boy was I wrong.....

I swapped them out this morning and one of my front shocks was leaking badly already. I always had to take it easy going over large bumps in order to keep the front tires from rubbing. Not anymore. These fixed the few complaints I've had since lowering the truck. I tried to make the front wheels rub and couldn't. The truck rides stiffer, but it's a good thing, it actually feels more connected to the road and is a lot of fun again.

I can't wait to get the leaf spring bushings, control arm bushings and swaybars upgraded now, I'm really starting to love this truck.

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I need to weld the spring mounts and c-notches into the truck and it has been a couple years since I've actually welded anything, so I broke out the old MIG tonight and dusted it off to get some practice on some scrap metal.

Let's just say that I'm going to have to get some more practice in before I touch my truck with the welder. It's amazing how quickly you lose your technique.

HeavyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 SOHC 5 SP Auto
Ive been putting off installing a c-notch & is I have to weld it, I have a 110v buzz box.
Sold the rest of my welders years ago.

Was also thinking of making my own c-notch.

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For anything that I dare weld here at the house, the 110V welder on 20amp setting with a pretty slow wire feed speed does pretty well. If it needs more juice than that, I have no business welding it to begin with and call my dad to bring over the truck mounted TIG/ARC setup and have him weld it for me.

I've watched him lay absolutely beautiful beads with his arc welder. He actually doesn't like using the MIG, he's so good at using arc that he will do exhaust work on his trucks using it instead of my MIG. I can weld with the arc, but I wouldn't dare do the thin metal that he does.

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Placed the order for the Mcgaughys helper bags for dropped trucks today. Going to get a lot of work done at the same time on the back, so I will pull the bed off and do it all at one time.

The plan is to get everything welded up, go ahead and take the factory bumper and hitch off in prep for the roll pan install, get the leaf spring bushings installed, get the bags installed and get everything cleaned up really well and give the frame a good coat of POR15 or chassis saver while it's apart.

Should be a solid 4 day weekend worth of work.

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since I ordered the bags, I decided to go by the storage and dig for the old leftovers from a project long ago. Amazingly, they were right where I thought I had put them 10 years ago.

Now I have to decide what to do. Viair 330, which is a small compressor and a 2.5 gallon air tank. I think the air tank is overkill for what I need, so I will probably use only the compressor and order a gauge and controller to add air when I need it. Although using the tank would give me a remote fill capability if I isolate it from the bags.

20150825_194702_zps6pextzss.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmmmm......

While I was in my storage, I happened upon a pair of brand new Kicker SSMB 6.5's and a Sundown SAX-100.4 from my old car as well....... I had forgotten about those. I could possibly put these to use as well in this project.

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The airbags came in today and are awaiting install. I think I'm going to install them this weekend, although I've been thinking about waiting and getting the remote compressor setup and doing it all at one time.

20150831_180124_zpsmt9prinw.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got my samples from Monstaliner today. They sent me the 5 that I thought were closest. 4 of them weren't even close to the color of the truck, but there was one that will do nicely.

20150903_175317_zps3rmgcwjv.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the other side finished up this morning and got the lines plumbed. Now I have to call the boys to help me put the bed back on.

20150906_112217_zpsa7gniw0u.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tomorrow I will get the bed put back on and figure out how to mount the license plate temporarily until my roll pan is ready.

I'm also going to pick up my subwoofers tomorrow if I have a chance. I'm starting to get too many small things going at one time instead of sticking to the plan, but I have to get the deals while they're available, even if that means they'll sit for a little while before the install.