I inherited my dad's 2004 5.9L Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice. I grew up in Kennedale. I know Mansfield well.

OP
OP
Irish_Texan

Irish_Texan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I6 Cummins Diesel
That truck looks new, I had a 05, but it was a 1500, 5.7.
When I went to the tax office to switch the registration, the title indicated he bought it in 2005 and it had 37k miles on it. 1 year, 37k miles. Then he drove it for 13 years and got it to 117k. Then it sat dormant for the last 6 years. I plan on keeping it and probably pass it on to one of my sons.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Hi everybody.. I'm new here. My dad passed away 6 years ago and I just found out I inherited his 2004 Ram 2500 HD with 5.9 Cummins. Forgive the lengthy post...

It's been sitting under an open carport for the last 6 years and apparently only started and driven a couple of times (early on).

So long story short, they said the batteries were dead (of course), so when I went to get it I brought two new batteries. I was told the truck ran very well and I knew my dad took very good care of his vehicles, so I decided to start it up (after, of course, checking all the fluid levels...which were all normal). With the new batteries, it fired right up. I let it idle for about 20 minutes or so, checking for any leaks and watching the gauges. No problems so I drove it home.

I forgot to mention, this truck is 20 years old and only has 117k miles on it. It drove like a champ for the trip home, which is an hour away.

I plan to do a complete flush and fill on coolant, oil/filter, transmission fluid, brake fluid, air filter, fuel filter. I learned how to check for blow-by (I think that's what it was called) and the oil fill cap just sat there with no dancing. Anything else I should be considering? Even thought it seems to be running good, would y'all recommend a go ahead and replace fuel pump and/or water pump just as a precaution?

Here's some pics of the engine bay area. I've never owned a diesel and don't know much, but I'm starting to learn. Does anything jump out at anyone indicating a problem just from the pics?

Thanks in advance for any help! Really appreciate it!
If it's a 49 state HO federal truck you've got a gem. Change all the fluids,check the brakes etc. the TDR forum is great along with Cummins Forum. The TDR has a section entitled what to do with a recently acquired Cummins or something like that. OH get new quality tires.

OP
OP
Irish_Texan

Irish_Texan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I6 Cummins Diesel
Little update... Had it towed to my mechanic today. Gonna have the fuel tank dropped and make sure there's no diesel "goo" that'll damage the injectors. Also changing every fluid and filter and new tires. When I get the thumbs up that it's GTG and road worthy, this'll become my new daily driver and I'll be selling my Tacoma.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240216-112121.png
    Screenshot_20240216-112121.png
    946 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20240216_204535907.jpg
    PXL_20240216_204535907.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 14