My truck CAN do it! (truck camper) **pics**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
well, i finally found a truck camper that was in my price range ($200). I went and picked it up and thought it would just smash the truck... it hardly even squatted- the leaf springs arent even flat on the overloads. i weighed the truck and camper before i left and the whole rig weighed 7100lbs which means the camper is about 1800-2000lbs. there is someone selling load leveler springs for $60 which i will probably pick up to reduce the bouncing- i would love to get airbags but cant afford them at the moment.
Overall i was very impressed with the way the truck handles this old *******... we'll see what happens when i get the boat hooked up.

sorry, only 2 pics

0716135204.jpg

0716135226.jpg

I THINK THIS IS THE UGLIEST MOD YET!!!!!

OP
OP
cheapbeater

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
haha. thats what everyone tells me... i wonder why?? at least it isnt orange anymore...

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
lol that is definitely ugly. you definitely need some help back there... thats a ton of weight on the rear axles. you need the airbags. dont get helper springs even if they're much cheaper

edit: and if the total rig only weighs 7100 lbs, the camper is 1500 lbs max. theres no way your truck weighs less than 5500 lbs.

OP
OP
cheapbeater

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
oh. i thought these things weighed about 5k stock... guess not.
what is the downside of springs vs bags??
springs $60 vs bags $200... hmmm AND i dont like drilling/welding on my frame...

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Springs will make it a really stiff ride all the time. They help a little, but you'll still be saggin with them too. Bags dont change the ride quality at all and will keep you completely level with up to 2000 lbs load (more than your camper and boat). Welding/Drilling your frame is no problem. You do it in a place where it doesnt compromise the strength a single bit. They're not large holes at all.

You'll get what you pay for with bags vs springs.

OP
OP
cheapbeater

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
the springs arent touched unless there is a load on them so they maintain stock ride when unloaded... i want bags but these might be a temp fix

cwboyjohnny24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My grandpa had one of those on his f100. Well, that was in the early 80's. lmao Still I would own a clean one for sure if I had a couple bucks. Definitely not that color though. lol

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
i have new helper springs in the for sale section .. was going to put them on ol red before i sold her

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Shes sagging worse then you think. I bet driving it feels like driving a semi on wind resistence and not alot of steering input.

OP
OP
cheapbeater

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
AF- not a typo... i payed $200 for it. lol

It doesnt squat as bad as it looks in the pics- i must have been in a low spot in the yard. the steering feels almost the same as stock. it doesnt blow around that much on the highway- it was really windy the day i hauled it home and it handeled it ok. i had plenty of power, could run in overdrive at 65 no problem but the gas mileage was the same with od off (10.7mpg) so i kept od off. it gets pretty bouncy tho... so i need some help back there. i'll see what i find out from RH

OP
OP
cheapbeater

cheapbeater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
i'm actually camping in it right now so i'll get some pics and post them when i get back

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
now AF thats not called for . if he likes it thats all that matters .

thats like me telling you your name is *** because its a girls name to . aaron , erin ..same thing .

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hahaha his username is cheapbeater because of one of the first vehicles he had...it was a cheap beater. I was merely stating the camper brings that name back to life. For $200 you cant argue its not cheap, and from the looks of its paint, its a beater as well. doesnt mean it doesnt do the job ;)

...'sides im just jealous