Ohio Banning Colored Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Senate Bill 161, banning colored headlights, passed the house last night. I'm trying to sort out more details, but here is the article and the text from SB161.

Now I have to look up the over sections to understand what this is talking about.

Ohio set to ban colored headlights | www.mydaytondailynews.com

To amend section 4513.19 of the Revised Code to require motor vehicle headlights to comply with the headlamp color requirements contained in Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard number 108.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF OHIO:
Section 1. That section 4513.19 of the Revised Code be amended to read as follows:

Sec. 4513.19. (A) No person shall use any lights mentioned in sections 4513.03 to 4513.18 of the Revised Code upon any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer unless said lights are equipped, mounted, and adjusted as to focus and aim in accordance with regulations which are prescribed by the director of public safety.

(B) The headlights on any motor vehicle shall comply with the headlamp color requirements contained in federal motor vehicle safety standard number 108, 49 C.F.R. 571.108. No person shall operate a motor vehicle in violation of this division.

(C) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Section 2. That existing section 4513.19 of the Revised Code is hereby repealed.

OP
OP
Cruizer

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My question is how this will be enforced. The article says ranging from bright blue to pink. Define bright blue because some vehicles come stock with HID's that have a blue tint to them. I thought there was another law that prevented any action that would devalue your vehicle from how you purchased it?

Without looking up the other references in the bill just yet, I think it lacks understanding of what headlights seem to be the problem. The color of the headlights has nothing to do with how bright they are. I imagine this comes from complaints of poorly aimed HID/projector headlights. Though any poorly aimed headlight causes an issue IMO.

Just thought I'd get this information out there as it effects so many. It now heads to Kasich's desk but did not mention when. It also mentioned it has the support of F.O.P. and Specialty Equipment Market Association. I can see this getting passed without any understanding of what the real problem is.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
The blue you see from an OEM projector setup is the color flicker they make off of the cutoff in the projectors. Most OEMs are 4300-5K, no blue to them.

Pink? LOL.........right.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
There is a couple Chevys running around with pink and blue HIDs, so that's no joke. That's no light and the 7+k HIDs are ****** too. Ever been in front of a lifted Chevy with 10k HIDs in stock housings? Talk about rage-inducing....

OP
OP
Cruizer

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I see a ton of trucks that have never been adjusted after a lift. I see a lot of cars though with similar issues. Like they bought new housings and never adjusted them. I just don't see banning colors does anything when it's not the color that's the issue, it's the aiming of the headlights. HID's in the correct housings are great. Put them in some ****** projector housings or OEM housings, not so much.

Just find it typical they pass a law when they don't even know what they're talking about.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I've seen white, blue, purple, and pink headlights, and from that earlier post it seems I'm not going crazy after all.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
And I thought that discriminating against color is illegal...

:banana-mario:

Yes, listen to the media and you'll get the feeling there are far too many white lights out there; not nearly enough inclusion from others.

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Saw some green heads the other day.... some people lol.

OP
OP
Cruizer

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I don't think "colored lights" is politically correct. How about "hue variant", does that work? lol

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I don't think "colored lights" is politically correct. How about "hue variant", does that work? lol

That's pretty sophisticated, a lot of sheeple may not relate to it. Maybe 'pigmentally enhanced'? Hmm, I struggle with all the proper PC lingo when it comes to white lights and other lights. I wonder if they should mandate an integration of white lights with some other shades on the same vehicle.

OP
OP
Cruizer

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
^^:happy175:

I see this being like window tint. A good reason to hassle someone IMO. I have a slight blue tint to my lights, not changin' a thing 'til I'm told otherwise.

blackout11

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 R/T
Engine
hemi 5.7
Cause cops know if your stock or not stock most cars that have the blue tint are like Mercedes and lexes not rams lol thats why i kept mine white

OP
OP
Cruizer

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Cause cops know if your stock or not stock most cars that have the blue tint are like Mercedes and lexes not rams lol thats why i kept mine white

Your cops must be smarter than ours. No way they're going to know the difference between stock and not stock where I'm at. Most couldn't tell you the difference between HID's and halogens.

I'm seeing those headlights on a lot of other vehicles now though. Jeep, Audi, Honda, and much more I'm sure.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's pretty sophisticated, a lot of sheeple may not relate to it. Maybe 'pigmentally enhanced'? Hmm, I struggle with all the proper PC lingo when it comes to white lights and other lights. I wonder if they should mandate an integration of white lights with some other shades on the same vehicle.

You will have to have a caucasian light on one side, an african american light on the other, a hispanic light in the bed of the truck (cuz that's where they lke to ride), asian turn signals and a *** light (which would be your tail light ofcourse)!!!

Now THAT, is all inclusive lighting!

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Yep, I see two things here... One, a way to get the government wedged further into our daily lives, and two, a way to allow for another way to generate a revenue $tream for the local PD.

OP
OP
Cruizer

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Your truck would look like a disco ball with multiple color lights hitting it, lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990