1 Lost key - How to reprogram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exjuno

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7T
Hello I'm a happy owner of an 2012 Dodge Ram 3500

Im wondering if there is any way to change programming of a key, here is a situation my,, friend'' that used to work for me, never gave me back 1 of my keys. So I would like to reprogram the truck to work only with the key I have, not the key he has.
any way to do it without going to dealership?
Thanks

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, never heard of changing a key and a truck to a different program. I wouldn't think so but be interesting to get a formal answer. who knows what they can do now with the keyless programming. Good luck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

sirwankel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was reading the manual the other day since I just got my truck, you can go to the dealership and get them reprogrammed so that other key can't be used. I would order a replacement from Ebay or wherever to replace it first tho so you don't have to pay to get another key programed in the future.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Like stated the dealership can "de-program" a key. The FOBS are about $150 each from the dealer, and programming isn't free. Just make sure the FOB you get is new, not used. Used ones CANNOT be programmed to a new vehicle.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
So hypothetically, you can order new FOB's online for cheaper, then have the dealership program them?

or will the give you the old "you have to buy those through us to have us program them"

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
You need 2 keys to add another. You cannot add with only 1 key. Dealer only at that point and removing the old key SHOULD be part of the included process.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

sirwankel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had a chrysler dealer program keys I got for my Jeep before. Since you need to change the code on your fob you have to go to the dealer no matter what. So 1 or 2 fobs from ebay and go to the dealer. When I went they charged me 1 flat fee and I had them cut a key and program a key and program 2 remotes. So might as well get a few done for the price. Here are some auctions for you. 1 fob for $35 and 2 for $70

New Uncut Chrysler Replacement Fobik Key Keyless Remote Prox Ignition Fob | eBay

2 New Uncut Chrysler Replacement Fobik Key Keyless Remote Prox Transmitter Fob | eBay

My truck only came with 1 fob so i'm going to get 2 and have them programmed.

jeepguy_1980

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Like stated the dealership can "de-program" a key. The FOBS are about $150 each from the dealer, and programming isn't free. Just make sure the FOB you get is new, not used. Used ones CANNOT be programmed to a new vehicle.

You can buy the entire remote start kit, which includes two FOBs for $200.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
jeepguy, you can get the remote start from the dealer for $200? Like I said, that was a dealer price. Although since I taught them how to add FOBS to a truck that didn't come with them, they just gave me the FOB for free, and the programming as well lol.

Cthulhu, what do you mean you need 2 keys to add another? Like if you only have one key, you are just stuck or something?

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
When they sell you a car/truck they are supposed to give you two "master" keys, ones that can be used to add another key. If you lose one, you cannot go through the programming sequence to add another key.. the starscan is required to do it. I'll Se if I can find the documentation I used to add keys to my truck. It explains it quite well... note that you cannot add more masters without the starscan. anything you add is a secondary key that cannot be used to program with.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2