2011 RAM: Key fob programming... only eight keys can be made?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMcD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently ordered two new key fobs, as my inherited 2011 RAM Laramie Longhorn's latest of four fob's lock and unlock buttons have bitten the dust (definitely a fob problem, not a receiver issue in the truck itself).

So far as I know, four keys have been programmed so far for this truck. The original two fobs, and then the next two replacement fobs that were programmed by Chrysler Dodge dealership six years ago. Each fob seems to last about three years, and then tanks.
I ordered an OEM fob from Keyless Canada, and also a Pro Key Box fob programmer along with an aftermarket fob compatible with the truck's ignition system. These products have arrived. While reading the instructions before using the Pro Key Box programming tool to program the two new fobs, I read the following;

"If the programmer beeps eight times after being inserted into the OBD port and will not pair the new key, it indicates that the maximum number of keys have been paired. Your vehicle only allows 8 keys to be paired."

Okay, what's up with this? I haven't actually tried to program the new keys as I want to be sure what I'm getting in to. I realize that *if* only four keys have been programmed so far, I have quite a few years left of driving, about twelve years, with any fobs that I program, but.... I can't ask the original owner, my father, if he programmed any others. He has passed away. This is how the truck has come to be mine. So if he did program other fobs, and/or I lose a fob or two, then what?

Can someone fill me in with what they know about this issue? Is there a way that you've found to get past this limitation of an eight fob programming maximum, and if so, what needs to be done? I am trying to avoid the dealership selling and programming the fobs, as they want $450 CDN per fob, while the Pro Key Box was only $125 CDN, and OEM fobs with tax are only $85

Thanks in advance for any insight that you can lend.