2014 sport 8speed cold temp tranny whine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redblack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys

Has anyone of you had any issues with your 8speed transmission whining?
My transmission would whine like a supercharger when the transmission is cold, it would go away once the truck reaches its normal operating temperature. My local dealer has been working with chrysler canada for a solution and i just heard a few days ago that they want to replace the transmission with a new factory one. Its a shame because the one i have now shifts like butter and hasn't given me any problems so far except for the cold temp whine.

Any one else in the same boat?

jjc155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys

Has anyone of you had any issues with your 8speed transmission whining?
My transmission would whine like a supercharger when the transmission is cold, it would go away once the truck reaches its normal operating temperature. My local dealer has been working with chrysler canada for a solution and i just heard a few days ago that they want to replace the transmission with a new factory one. Its a shame because the one i have now shifts like butter and hasn't given me any problems so far except for the cold temp whine.

Any one else in the same boat?

My 2014 1500 8sp has alittle whine when it is real cold out, but its back to normal within a couple of blocks of driving.

J-

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I posted about this way back at the beginning of winter, and seems everyone's does it. I don't personally believe it's an issue, especially not one worth replacing the whole trans for. The pump just complains a bit with thicker fluid.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I think every automatic I've had did that when it was real cold.

OP
OP
R

redblack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmmm, well I didn't think that this would be normal. The tech even walked the lot and started a few other 8speeds and none of them made the noise. Mine would do it all the time even in the fall in the mornings so it was not happening on only really cold mornings, it would go away after 5-10 minutes of driving though.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
is normal when it's cold. mine was basically silent till -10C then it would whine a bit till warmed up. i've yet to see a transmission both auto and manual that doesn't whine when it gets cold

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Normal. Every single one of my vehicles has done this. I have always made it a habit to take it easy on any vehicle I've owned until both the trans and engine were up to temp. Even on brand new cars

klittle2222

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
I've noticed on mine, especially getting on the interstate with more rpms to build up speed. When it warms up I can't hardly tell or I may have not ever noticed it by the time it's warm.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
There was another thread on this a few months ago.

Pretty much everyone chimed in and said a little while was normal.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hmm.. My trans does this ALL the time. no mater the temp. I think im going to have them take a look at it. It could be a pully or a pump too, but it sure does make a whirling whining supercharger sound and its louder in lower gears then higher ones, but the noise is in every gear

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Got a call from the dealer yesterday, said it was the oil pump.. Trans is fine. We will see...

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Not the oil pump, now they are on to doing the cam and lifters... should hear back today. They told me if this dosnt fix it I'm getting a new motor.. WTF.. Certified Pre-Owned with this noise too...

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It was the cam.. I guess theres a "Star" report (bulletin) about a manufacturing defect in the cam where theres grooves and pits on the cam lobes and it causes this noise. the noise is now gone. Not sure if this is worth opening another thread about, or if anyone even cares (or is still listening to me...).

Fullmetal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It was the cam.. I guess theres a "Star" report (bulletin) about a manufacturing defect in the cam where theres grooves and pits on the cam lobes and it causes this noise. the noise is now gone. Not sure if this is worth opening another thread about, or if anyone even cares (or is still listening to me...).

Good info, thanks