4x4 front sway bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RealtorRod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't been able to find one nor a reason I cant find one. I accidentally ordered the 2wd with the rear from moes (i hope they will refund me) but after I realized my mistake I searched high and low. Is the front that good? I believe its hollow.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The reason there's no aftermarket front sway bar for a 4wd is that the oem one is so sturdy that there is really no need for an upgrade.
Different story on 2wd's tho.
So you are perfectly fine with just upgrading your rear sway bar.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Someone posted an article written by Helwig about the front sway bar on the RAM 4X4's and they said that the reason they don't offer one is that the OEM is sufficient. Sorry I can't find the thread???????
Jay

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Supposedly there's 2 front swaybars for the 4X4's,one is 32mm and one is reportedly 36mm.I've never found a truck yet with the 36mm one though,every 4X4 I've measured has the 32 mm bar on the front.I'm guessing the 36mm front sway bar is only a rumour.
Yes the front bar is hollow,weighs all of 14 lb's wiith endlinks / brackets and bolts.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Supposedly there's 2 front swaybars for the 4X4's,one is 32mm and one is reportedly 36mm.I've never found a truck yet with the 36mm one though,every 4X4 I've measured has the 32 mm bar on the front.I'm guessing the 36mm front sway bar is only a rumour.
Yes the front bar is hollow,weighs all of 14 lb's wiith endlinks / brackets and bolts.

You Canadians must have weak swaybars...haha. Every front bar I have removed on both the 2wd and 4wd trucks weigh closer to 30lbs.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
What if they don't need it?

The trucks dont need more power either, but why not add it if it makes it more fun?

OP, for starters, we did refund you for the front swaybar yesterday and got your rear bar shipped out as well. As the others have said, The stock front swaybar is pretty stout, so there just isnt much to improve there. The rear bar is a different story though. You are going to feel a nice improvement with just that rear swaybar alone.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8

Mopar claims there are at least three different bars for the front of our trucks (4x2 and 4x4 included). 32mm, 34.5mm, and 36.5mm. Aftermarket companies, like MOOG and AC Delco, make 32mm and 36.8mm bushings, so the 34.5mm part number may or may not be correct. I used a digital caliper on mine, and confirmed it is the 36.x mm bar. So now you've found at least one truck with the 36mm bar, its not just a rumor. :happy107:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Mopar claims there are at least three different bars for the front of our trucks (4x2 and 4x4 included). 32mm, 34.5mm, and 36.5mm. Aftermarket companies, like MOOG and AC Delco, make 32mm and 36.8mm bushings, so the 34.5mm part number may or may not be correct. I used a digital caliper on mine, and confirmed it is the 36.x mm bar. So now you've found at least one truck with the 36mm bar, its not just a rumor. :happy107:

Is your truck an air suspension truck? they're the only 4X4 I haven't measured. Maybe later today i'll head back over to the local dealer and check their Laramie trucks,hopefully they have a LongHorn version on the lot,as i'd like to have the 36mm bar for playing on the local mountain back roads:favorites13:

Matt you're wrong on the weights,i just re-weighed my factory 32mm front 4X4 swaybar,it still weighs 14lbs ,maybe the longer 2X4 bar weighs 30 lbs,but the 4X4 bar is only 14 lbs with bolts and endlinks. Mine just happens to be off at the moment,as I was planning on going drag racing this week-end,but Momma Nature has closed our track early ,I hate snow,lol

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Is your truck an air suspension truck? they're the only 4X4 I haven't measured. Maybe later today i'll head back over to the local dealer and check their Laramie trucks,hopefully they have a LongHorn version on the lot,as i'd like to have the 36mm bar for playing on the local mountain back roads

No air suspension. One of the few options my truck doesn't have (didn't want it).

Heimer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting thread here. I was searching to see if anyone else had ever had front sway bar issues and so far no luck but ran across this thread. I find it slightly amusing these aftermarket companies feel the front sway bar is sufficient. I recently started hearing funny noises under the front passenger side of my truck and after investigation found the end of my sway bar had snapped completely off. My truck has the 36mm sway bar. The design of these sway bars does not make sense to me. They are hollow and there is a seam on each end where they pinched it closed. They should have went one step further and welded the seam as water can get inside and start weakening it from the inside out. My truck does not go off road and I do not recall hitting anything hard enough unless a pothole or two could have caused this damage. Anyway I ordered a new sway bar ($260), new sway bar links ($80), and new sway bar bushings ($30) and as soon as the bushings come in I will be installing.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why don't you call Helwig and talk to them and tell them about your experiences and see what they have to say. From what I understand they are pretty customer friendly. It might point you toward some other problems that you might have that haven't come up yet.
Jay

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Someone posted an article written by Helwig about the front sway bar on the RAM 4X4's and they said that the reason they don't offer one is that the OEM is sufficient. Sorry I can't find the thread???????
Jay

I've actually posted a link to Hellwig's site awhile back; they wrote a story for their blog about why they didn't offer a swaybar for late-model 4x4 Rams. Oddly enough, it's 404 on their redesigned site, even though you can find the link to it (copied below) in a Google search.

Hellwig Front Sway Bars for Dodge? | Hellwig Products

www.hellwigproducts.com/tech-advice/dodge-front-sway-bar/

Mar 26, 2013 - Why doesn't Hellwig manufacture aftermarket Dodge pickup front sway bars? We often get customers asking why our truck sway bar line has ...

TXCOMT