Anyone HAPPY with Borg Warner 44-44 / Auto 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And while I’m at it, I’d like to take this opportunity to answer the question asked in the title of this wonderful thread.............

I AM NOW!

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
From what I understand this is the difference between 4Auto and 4Lock on the 44-44:

4Auto engages the front axle disconnect and has variable engagement of the clutch (up to 100% engaged) to the front wheels depending on rear wheel spin. However it still requires the ball ramp setup to engage.

4Lock engages the clutch 100% but it still requires the ball ramp to engage before the front wheels have power.

Theorectically, I would think 4Auto is harder on the clutches because they're not fully engaged when the ball ramp spins up. I still don't understand why the ball ramp is even necessary in this Tcase.

The electric part of the clutch can not transfer a even a small percentage of the torque available to the front axle. The more torque the rear axle receives the tighter it can cam the ball ramp to transfer the torque to the front axle. Without that ramp and ball the clutch will not hold, that is why in very low traction situations the clutch slips and over heats.
If the rear wheels have decent traction the front axle will work fine.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just happy to have the option, I guess.

Not going to jump on it until its really necessary, which may never happen for me (MaxCare lifetime, transfer case should be covered).

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Of course the next question ‘cuz we’re never satisfied..........anyone attempted the Alpha software on the Gen5 trucks? I’d Love to grab a 5th Gen without having to buy a Rebel to get the tcase I want. The selectable rear locker and full bench in the back with a flat floor and extra legroom is VERY appealing to me!
If I were you I would just hold out for a 5th gen 2500

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Not going to jump on it until its really necessary, which may never happen for me (MaxCare lifetime, transfer case should be covered).
That’s totally understandable. My truck’s warranty was over so I just decided to take matters into my own hands.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I were you I would just hold out for a 5th gen 2500
I’d really like a PW but this truck is just about paid for.........and now that I know I can take care of the 44-44 a pair of PW axles may wind up under this thing some day

And I have the Lifetime Maxcare ....

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Yes, my situation too. It works for me and if / when it breaks I'll let the dealer fix it:cheers:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

That's exactly what I like about this, we have an option now if the 44-44 burns up

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4Auto engages the front axle disconnect and has variable engagement of the clutch (up to 100% engaged) to the front wheels depending on rear wheel spin. However it still requires the ball ramp setup to engage.

Unlike some other transfer cases (like the MP cases Jeep and GM use) there is no partial engagement of the clutch pack, its either turned on or off (connected or not). 0-100% is done entirely mechanically via the ball ramp. The more the ball ramps up the more torque gets transferred.

Wether it waits for wheel spin or not to engage in auto seems to depend on model year.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone contacted RSG and informed them of what we can do with Alfaobd?

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think someone was is contact with them before I did the swap telling them about the AlfaOBD software

I let George know your swap was successful and I offered to relay the details once you did the “write up”.

He definitely wants to know the steps on the electronics since that was really their only hang up but since I haven’t actually attempted this YET, I didn’t want to give any wrong info.

You’re more than welcome to get in touch with George if you’d prefer, he’s super easy to get ahold of.

I’ve been very clear to George someone else was actually doing this, not me. I’m not getting anything out of this from George or anything like that. He just asked that I keep him in the loop if it worked and pass it along if I wouldn’t mind. Just so happen to reach out to George right as this was all coming together

Last edited:

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I let George know your swap was successful and I offered to relay the details once you did the “write up”.

He definitely wants to know the steps on the electronics since that was really their only hang up but since I haven’t actually attempted this YET, I didn’t want to give any wrong info.

You’re more than welcome to get in touch with George if you’d prefer, he’s super easy to get ahold off.
I’ve been working on the write up as i’ve had time the past few days. Just been swamped with work lately. Once I post the write up you can go ahead and send it to George.