Anyone HAPPY with Borg Warner 44-44 / Auto 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also keep in mind George is probably looking for something slightly different.

His setup was meant to originally use the 44-44 switch and his guts added to the 44-44 xfer case. Not quite the same as swapping out for a complete 44-45 switch and unit.

I still think the best test is to see how (if) the encoder motor positions change based on the Alfa settings. The only person that posted about trying the retrofit kit said the 44-45 switch did NOT resolve the "went into 4Lo now cant fully get back to 2WD" issue, so logic would say the 44-44 switch is probably fine but we need to tell the computer its a 44-45 so it knows where to move the encoder (which is why I asked if we knew how the 44-45 reacted when connected to the 44-44 switch)

SIDE NOTE: Im not sure how everyone was determining the truck never got back into 2WD, but if it was the front driveshaft spinning as the indicator, the front driveshaft on my truck spins even in 2WD from day 1. I believe its normal operation.

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also keep in mind George is probably looking for something slightly different.

His setup was meant to originally use the 44-44 switch and his guts added to the 44-44 xfer case. Not quite the same as swapping out for a complete 44-45 switch and unit.

I still think the best test is to see how (if) the encoder motor positions change based on the Alfa settings. The only person that posted about trying the retrofit kit said the 44-45 switch did NOT resolve the "went into 4Lo now cant fully get back to 2WD" issue, so logic would say the 44-44 switch is probably fine but we need to tell the computer its a 44-45 so it knows where to move the encoder (which is why I asked if we knew how the 44-45 reacted when connected to the 44-44 switch)

SIDE NOTE: Im not sure how everyone was determining the truck never got back into 2WD, but if it was the front driveshaft spinning as the indicator, the front driveshaft on my truck spins even in 2WD from day 1. I believe its normal operation.

If you want to test and see how he encoder motor positions change based on the AlfaOBD setting then go ahead and test it. I personally see no point in doing that test. The AlfaOBD setting clearly changes how the encoder motor functions otherwise the front driveshaft would not disengage from the transfer case in 2wd.

As for the front driveshaft spinning, I think your are missing the point. The issues others were having was NOT the front driveshaft spinning while driving. The issue was that with the truck parked in 2wd, you could not spin the front driveshaft by hand. In 2wd you should be able to freely spin the front driveshaft with the truck parked.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want to test and see how he encoder motor positions change based on the AlfaOBD setting then go ahead and test it. I personally see no point in doing that test. The AlfaOBD setting clearly changes how the encoder motor functions otherwise the front driveshaft would not disengage from the transfer case in 2wd.

As for the front driveshaft spinning, I think your are missing the point. The issues others were having was NOT the front driveshaft spinning while driving. The issue was that with the truck parked in 2wd, you could not spin the front driveshaft by hand. In 2wd you should be able to freely spin the front driveshaft with the truck parked.

I got you on the front driveshaft thing...I was not sure what the exact issue was, now I know.

As far as testing the positioning of the encoder, the retro fit kit for the 44-44 failed to get completely into 2WD because the encoder motor did not reset to the correct position after being in 4 Lo. Testing the spots the encoder ends up in with Alfa programmed to a 44-45 will prove that the encoder motor *will* end up in the correct spot for the retrofit kit to be able to get from 4 Lo to *true* 2WD. It would be nice to know this ahead of time because A) George could start selling the kits again and B) we wouldn't have to tear down an xfer case, install the kit and *then* find out if the Alfa setting still doesnt fix the issue.

It was in the long thread on the other forum where someone said it wasnt coming back to a certain "time" if you looked at the encoder motor travel as a clock. It was close, but not quite close enough and the only way to get true 2WD back was to pull the encoder motor off the xfer case and manually turn it to the correct "time".

This is all completely separate from your success of changing to an actual 44-45. I would have been pretty surprised if that did NOT work because it would be more of a pain and cost for RAM to build the trucks transfer-case specific. After all, changing the transfer case in Alfa is not too much different than enabling heated seats, Auto High beams or memory mirrors :) I know he probably cant divulge it but Im curious of Alexey knows how to "push" any sales code into the BCM.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
iirc, the part number for the encoder motor for both the 44-44 and 44-45 are the same which would lead me to believe its all determined by what the encoder is commanded by the BCM. But I’m just speculating..........I want to do the conversion but will definitely have to wait until after the holidays before checking with the CFO. Christmas get $$$$$ with 3 girls and a wife!

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got in touch with George today. He is very intrigued by the AlfaOBD software. I sent him some links to the forum so he can learn about it and see if he can get his kit to work properly. We also discussed what he would charge for the kit if he can get it to work. I can't get into specifics but it sounds like the kit will cost much less than what was quoted in the article. He also mentioned that he may need some guinea pigs to test the kit. He will let me know if that is the case and I will put him in contact with interested people from the forum.

On a side note, he mentioned that he has also created a set of replacement clutches for the BW44-44 that are stronger than OEM and allow you to keep 4 auto. These apparently work great but still don't address the delay associated with the ball ramp design of the t-case.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So they made a more durable clutch pack for the 44-44 also? That's pretty cool too I might be interested in that if the install isn't too involved. I don't plan on off roading with my truck but we do get snow here and I just don't want to get stuck somewhere because the clutches burned up...

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So they made a more durable clutch pack for the 44-44 also? That's pretty cool too I might be interested in that if the install isn't too involved. I don't plan on off reading with my truck but we do get snow here and I just don't want to get stuck somewhere because the clutches burned up...

Yes this is also good news. But Ive seen teardowns of similar transfer cases to change out the clutches and honestly it looks like more work than just installing the retrofit kit (and probably more work than just installing a 44-45!)

Im just happy we have yet another option. Ive always wondered if it came down to being covered under MaxCare, if I paid for my own parts (like, say, heavier duty frictions), would the dealer install them for me without voiding my MaxCare?

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So they made a more durable clutch pack for the 44-44 also? That's pretty cool too I might be interested in that if the install isn't too involved. I don't plan on off roading with my truck but we do get snow here and I just don't want to get stuck somewhere because the clutches burned up...
Yeah, that’s what he told me. Apparently people have been plowing with his clutch pack and haven’t been able to wear it out yet. You would still have the delay from the ball and ramp system though

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, that’s what he told me. Apparently people have been plowing with his clutch pack and haven’t been able to wear it out yet. You would still have the delay from the ball and ramp system though

Thats pretty impressive seeing as plowing is how the original clutches got fried pretty easily. Meh the delay doesn't really bother me its the possibility of overheating the tcase and burning the clutches up that does....

57henny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you're reading to much, and getting on the band wagon. The 44-44 is by no means a yuppie sports car. The 44-44 is merely inferior to a 44-45 in the sense it has a clutch. Many people refer to it as an awd system and them, and you would be incorrect. Once in 4lo the transfer case does indeed lock, it just uses a clutch. The gearing and range is considerably better than that of an awd vehicle. You have no business going into snow without first being in 4wd, long as you are you'll be fine. The 44-44 gets a lot of crap, and no one really has a definitive reason why, other than its a clutch so it must be bad. Have you personally used the system and have it fail on you? I'm willing to bet most people in this thread haven't, you're all sumising based on this clutch system. How often does your clutch slip on your tranny ?

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The only thing I'm honestly worried about in my 2015 currently is front end ground clearance. So when it's leveled and on 35's I'll check back in on how the 4x4 holds up to a squatch in the woods.

OP
OP
Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
The only thing I'm honestly worried about in my 2015 currently is front end ground clearance. So when it's leveled and on 35's I'll check back in on how the 4x4 holds up to a squatch in the woods.

Mine works fine so far.

Squatch is good eatin'....

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I'm one of the ones hoping that his kit works good.
Because I am also one of the ones that gets absolutely disgusted with RAM and the 44-44 and the programing and functioning of the tcase.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL the top video screwed me up as the glare I couldnt see the strap. I swore he was stuck of flat ground in 4x4, thats impressive.

If the switch doesnt affect the 4auto function as i do use it Id buy it for my off roaring bits. Although I have yet to get stuck in my Ram with the 44 trans.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It works very well and it will come with a switch that when turned off turns it back to the way it works from the factory so 4Auto is retained.

It also proves that it's not really BWs fault the 44-44 doesn't stay locked, it's FCA for programming the clutch to disengage EVERY time you let off the gas.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It works very well and it will come with a switch that when turned off turns it back to the way it works from the factory so 4Auto is retained.

It also proves that it's not really BWs fault the 44-44 doesn't stay locked, it's FCA for programming the clutch to disengage EVERY time you let off the gas.
True but it will save 2.36475892 ounces of fuel every year...:rolleyes: