Condensation at y pipe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Just about 5k miles on my 2015 ram and noticed condensation dripping at the y pipe? Pretty sure that's what it's called. It's where the dual exhaust runs into the main. I know the muffler has a drain hole I. It so the condensation isn't sitting in it... Is this area have something similar? Is it normal?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 44

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's dripping from above maybe? Check above the Y for a small rubber hose end. I assume you didn't find a hole in the pipe, right?

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
It's dripping from above maybe? Check above the Y for a small rubber hose end. I assume you didn't find a hole in the pipe, right?

No whole that I could find. The pipe was tight and didn't move at all. I'll check for that hose above the pipe

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
There is nothing above the pipe, I started the truck and layer under it and watched and this is where the condensation is coming from....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
No whole that I could find. The pipe was tight and didn't move at all. I'll check for that hose above the pipe

There is nothing above the pipe, I started the truck and layer under it and watched and this is where the condensation is coming from....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 33

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Looks loose. That's a clamp upstream of there. Tighten it some then watch again.

That's not normal.

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Looks loose. That's a clamp upstream of there. Tighten it some then watch again.

That's not normal.

I put a wrench on it and tried to tighten both bolts on that clamp and they are tight as can be...

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess it's not the factory clamp?

Since I had my 18" Magnaflow installed, both clamps are dripping water like this... Now it's not freezing but I'm afraid that when we get our typical -20c this winter it might cause some issue. The work was done by a shop, wondering if the mufflex ones are having similar issue.

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I guess it's not the factory clamp?

Since I had my 18" Magnaflow installed, both clamps are dripping water like this... Now it's not freezing but I'm afraid that when we get our typical -20c this winter it might cause some issue. The work was done by a shop, wondering if the mufflex ones are having similar issue.

It should be factory. I bought the truck with 7 miles on it 2015 off the lot....

Maybe it's designed that way so the condensation isn't just sitting in there?

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I'm out of town for business but have tried with hand tools to tighten the clamp.. It's tight as can be by hand on each side. There's no joke in the pipe and it hasn't been hot or damaged... The water or condensation is coming between where the two pipes meet? I called dealer in town I'm at told service adviser it was dripping condensation at the y pipe in exhaust and explained nothing was Loose and he asked another guy manager I think and claimed it was normal.....?

There's this part of me that don't trust dealers what they say and would precede the didn't mess with my truck unless there's problem they fix under warranty.....

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I've talked to two different service dealer shops. And a couple service managers at both locations. One went and got a mechanic and I showed him the pictures and he said it was normal.. All the other service guys said it was normal too. Maybe it was just because my truck was at an angle the condensation could go out the tail pipe or muffler drain hole...

I've checked and double checked nothing is loose

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Mine does that as well, dealer said it was normal so exhaust could drain

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members