Cruise speeds going downhill, slow up hill ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racer57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Night Edition.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2016 5.7 1/2ton
Whether cruise set on 55 or 70, go down 55mph 2 lane hill or 70mph interstate hill it will speed up 3-4 or slow down 3-4. Vehicles are suddenly on my rear when going down hill. Dealership says its normal, but I've never had this much of an issue with other brands. Is there an issue ?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Every vehicle I've ever had has some variation or least a lag before it figures out what it's doing and "catches up." My Ram is about the same as the others.

Are you saying your isn't eventually settling back at the speed you have chosen?

OP
OP
Racer57

Racer57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Night Edition.
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It does, but the delay is a lot longer than anything I've owned. I'm 62 and have owned ALOT of new vehicles.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
It does, but the delay is a lot longer than anything I've owned. I'm 62 and have owned ALOT of new vehicles.

The delay is worse on a lot of newer vehicles, chevys are about the worst. They can't hold a constant speed sitting on jack stands. I believe it's done for fuel mileage so they don't kick down over nothing, they wait to make sure it's actually a hill before kicking down. I don't have this problem any more with a little trans tuning :happy107:

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's hard to say if there's an issue or not. It depends on how steep the hill is. On the highway heading out of town I don't use cruise because it can't hold speed worth a crap on the hills and kicks down a lot. When I get on the interstate it holds it pretty close to speed. I would say within 1 mph. There's a few other hills on highways around here it doesn't do the greatest, but for the most part it holds pretty close.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When in tow haul mode or manual mode, mine will slow down when going down hills if the vehicle's speed exceeds the set cruise speed by 4 - 5 MPH. Also, it will kick down when the vehicle's speed is 4 - 5 MPH below the set cruise speed going up a hill.

In full auto on flat ground it holds the settings very well. When going up and over hills in full auto, which ain't very often, it seems to take longer for the vehicle to start slowing down or speeding up, depending on what side of the hill I am on.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It seems like my RAM is a little slower at making corrections for going up/down hills then my Challenger.

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't notice it too bad with my Ram. My old Infiniti did the same, and it irritates the heck out of me on road trips. I'd prefer it to go the set speed up and down, but if anything it'd be better to go faster down and slower up for both the flow of traffic and gas mileage.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going downhill, mine will pick up 10~12mph before the system does anything, which is usually at the end of the hill when physics starts to correct the situation before the truck does.

Going up hill? If I set CC at 55, it will slow down to 40 before it kicks down, then it will accelerate to 62~65 before letting of.

Flat ground? Craptacular as well - set cruise at 55 and it will hold 54~52 all day long. In the 2 years I've had it, it has NEVER held the speed I set it at.

My '06 Charger? Set it at 55 and it holds 55 - up hill, down hill and on flat ground.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
didnt feel this with the 3:92 gearing. maybe the hills werent steep enough.