Extended warranty advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bendirkss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a 2011 Ram, 103,000kms on it and I have got an extended warranty that I can cancel within 10 days. The warranty cost $3000, and covers everything (brakes, struts, powetrain) for 4yrs/80k. From your experience with your rams. Am I gonna see this amount of price in parts in that time period (is the warranty worth it)?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Since no one has posted up here yet with an answer, maybe a little more info would help. Do you plan on driving a lot/doing a lot of offroading/beating the truck up?

If you plan on driving it until the wheels fall off and it has a million miles, then I'd say it's probably worth it. But it'll depend on how long you plan on keeping the truck and what kind of stuff you're gonna use it for.

Unfortunately I don't have any long term experience with Rams yet that I'm able to speak from but maybe someone else will chime in.

Beefy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I thankfully had a warranty on the 2001 QCSB that I owned previously. It was the biggest POS I ever owned. I don't keep vehicles very long but I've had to use the warranty on every vehicle I've purchased it for in the past (including new engines, transmissions and transfer cases).

The issue is you don't know how the previous owner maintained or treated the truck.

I have one for my current 2009. Also had to use the extended warranty for extensive repairs on the wife's Jeep GC we just traded.

I will never go without a warranty personally. It's worth it for just the piece of mind IMO.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
4000 bucks I want you to think about that? How many repairs would be required for that amount? What kinds of repairs would be needed and only until 80,000 miles? I paid $1300 for warranty until 100,000.
Brakes are pretty cheap and so are struts and shocks. My brakes are original and I am up to 63000 miles and I have done a lot of towing so chances are the warranty would expire before you got to that stuff.
I say put that money in a savings account or shop for another warranty at the very least. That is not a good deal IMO.

$miley

Last edited:
OP
OP
bendirkss

bendirkss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will probably put on 80k before 4 years, and I do plan to keep this truck for a long time. Idk if the previous owner towed a lot or anything. I don't imagine the tranny or engine would have issues already, but if it did that warranty would sure help me out

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I will probably put on 80k before 4 years, and I do plan to keep this truck for a long time. Idk if the previous owner towed a lot or anything. I don't imagine the tranny or engine would have issues already, but if it did that warranty would sure help me out

First off, is the warranty through a reputable company? Chrysler warranties cost a bit, but the dealerships have to stand by them. :893karatesmiley-thu

Here's the thing: these vehicels have a $hit ton of electronics and air bags and smog cr@p. If your state has a safety inspection requirement, $3K is cheap insurance. :banghead:

Trannies seem to be hit or miss on Gen 4's too. Does the warranty include rental reimbursement? :disgust:

Can you afford loss of use and big ticket repairs while still making payments? :favorites68:

My wife's Chrysler was rock steady for 3 years, then in the shop four times for 2-3 days each time for air bag problems--thankfully under warranty and with rental coverage. They replaced driverside headliner air bag; did not fix; they replaced steereing wheel bag, no luck, they finally replaced the $1K air bag timing circuit--success. I would have been out of pocket $3-4K without the warranty. :Frustrated:

It's one thing to pay for repairs when its paid off. Its another thing entirely to pay for repairs and rental while you are still making payments on the vehicle.

So do you feel lucky? Well do ya?

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I agree if you are spending that much you better be getting a Chrysler one and it should be more miles than that. I would expect with that low of miles protection and the cost that is a win for them and not for you.

$miley

dsw1519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
HEMI 5.7 8 Spd.
$3k seems awfully high - JMO.

If you want an extended warranty or service plan, I'm a believer that factory warranties are the best route. Then you have the option of going to any Chrysler Group dealer to get service, and the plan info is entered in Chrysler's system so any dealer knows you have the coverage just by plugging in your VIN. The dealers push the aftermarket warranties because they make more money on them (greater margins).

I bought an extended warranty for my 2013. I did so because of all the electronics. I plan to keep this truck for 4-5 years, so after extensive research I found an on-line source for Chrysler factory ext warranties. CHRYSLER SERVICE CONTRACTS: Extended Warranties from Chrysler. SAVE 60%! Quick Quotes. Buy Online. They had the best pricing I could find.

You can enter in your info and the type of plan you are looking for (years, mileage, deductible, etc). I chose the Chrysler Maximum Care Plan WN570N, which gives me 5 years and 70k miles. The cost on this site for what I wanted was $990 with a $100 deductible. This basically extends the factory warranty.

To give you an idea on pricing, the dealer quoted me $1580 for the same exact plan. I pulled out the quote sheet from the site I listed above and told them I would rather buy the warranty from them (my dealer) and spend the money locally. He "checked with his manager", and came back and agreed to match the price.

I'm guessing the on-line source is only making 20%, which would put their cost at $792. If you double the $792 you get $1584, which seems to make sense that the dealer would shoot for a 100% margin on these as a starting point. Keep in mind they don't make all that much on new vehicles, and most people don't realize how much mark up they have in the warranties and how negotiable the pricing on these things really are.

I hope this helps you.

Dave

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I agree with Casper. These trucks do have a ton of electrical crap on them, and electrical issues can be hard to diagnose and cost a fortune in "trying x and y" to see if that makes a difference. With repair costs and parts cost going up each year it seems, one or two things and that warranty will pay for itself. I like the peace of mind personally.

When I bought my truck I had them add on an extended warranty into my payments. I can't remember exactly what it cost me, but it's full bumper to bumper to 75k and 100k powertrain. I'm at 34k now, and knowing that the warranty doesn't end yet makes me feel a lot better.

OP
OP
bendirkss

bendirkss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess its kind of a hit or miss lol. I could use the warranty or I could not. It will be really convenient to only pay a $75 deductible when something goes wrong. The truck was caked in mud and clay underneath when I bought it so maybe he was rough on it

OP
OP
bendirkss

bendirkss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, to review the warranty. I had my abs module go, and my tranny pump. Both those jobs equaled to over 3k in costs. With the warranty those are only costing me about $550. So yes, the warranty has paid for itself. And I have 60,000kms/3yrs left on the warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk