Warranty Advice Requested

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HT RICHARDSON

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ecoDiesel
Recently, I had my oil changed at a San Diego-area Ram dealer. While there, the advisor asked whether I wanted to get my fuel filter changed since the truck was at 33,000 miles. The cost would only be $350. When I told him that I change the filter myself every 10,000, he stated that, should my engine fail and Ram find a non-Ram filter installed and I didn't have a receipt from an ASE certified repair facility, my engine warranty would be voided. I can't find the exact wording to this affect in my warranty doc, and I'm aware of the Magnuson-Moss Act. Initially, I wasn't too concern until I called another local dealer and was told almost the same thing.

1. What can I do to ensure my warranty will be "protected" if I change my own filter? Is it sufficient that I keep the receipt for the filter and receipt for the stall rental on the Navy Base where I changed the filter?

2. Where do fellow San Diegans go to get their fuel filter changed at a reasonable amount?

Any advice or references will be appreciated.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Buy MOPAR filters from a reputable place and keep the email receipt for a record.
The dealer has recorded and I now record all my service I performed on the RAM App or website.
DO NOT order cheap Chinese unknown brand filters from anywhere. MOPAR or Fleetgaurd filters is all I'd use.

If you don't have the RAM App you can go to the link below to register and records of your services. You'll also be able to see what the dealer has done.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
In the past, i let Carl Burger service my eco-diesel
The filter is suppose to be done around every second oil change.

Carl Burger lately has changed every Service Adviser that they had.
I miss the Service Adviser David, all the customers liked him. I ran into him last month, he now works at a Ford dealership.
He is looking for another Dodge dealership that is worth working for.

They also no longer have anyone operating the Courtesy Vans.

As to the filters, use recommended filter brands.
Keep the receipts, date, mileage at the time of the filter change

OP
OP
HT RICHARDSON

HT RICHARDSON

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L ecoDiesel
Buy MOPAR filters from a reputable place and keep the email receipt for a record.
The dealer has recorded and I now record all my service I performed on the RAM App or website.
DO NOT order cheap Chinese unknown brand filters from anywhere. MOPAR or Fleetgaurd filters is all I'd use.

If you don't have the RAM App you can go to the link below to register and records of your services. You'll also be able to see what the dealer has done.
The filters I was using are the Doc Diesel filters but just purchased authentic MOPAR for this next change...and will stick with them for the future.

Thanks for the heads up on the Maintenance site. I knew I could see what the dealer did but didn't know I could add my own records. Good stuff.
In the past, i let Carl Burger service my eco-diesel
The filter is suppose to be done around every second oil change.

Carl Burger lately has changed every Service Adviser that they had.
I miss the Service Adviser David, all the customers liked him. I ran into him last month, he now works at a Ford dealership.
He is looking for another Dodge dealership that is worth working for.

They also no longer have anyone operating the Courtesy Vans.

As to the filters, use recommended filter brands.
Keep the receipts, date, mileage at the time of the filter change
Before I bought this Ram, all my MOPAR purchases and service was done by Carl Burger. They were unnecessarily difficult to deal with when trying to purchase during COVID and their service department ruined my neighbor's Charger by forgetting to put oil back in on an exchange. The problem is, dealing with San Diego Ram hasn't been easy during any transaction, either.

I'm going to follow the advice given and make sure I still have all my receipts/records. Thanks.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Anything to do with my 2016 Ram, goes into a Men's Shoe Box.
It does not matter if it is Oil Changes, Tires, receipts for things like Tonneau Covers, etc.
It goes straight into the box

When i sold a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500, i handed the owner new owner the box & explained what was in it.
He is likely the only Used Vehicle buyer that has the FULL History of their vehicle.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
^^^This^^^

I keep every receipt, record every service, and also keep the box panel that identifies the filter with the date written on it when I replaced the filter.

This might sound a bit much but I do my own scheduled maintenance and I'm not willing to take a chance that they could find a reason to deny a warranty repair.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Thanks. I am signed up, but didn't realize I could enter my own records.

To the OP, I'd think the dealer/Ram would have to show that the filters you used did not meet their specs before being able to deny any claims. They may be able to do that though on some filters.

And ordering Ram filters online can be tricky, as there are a lot of counterfeits out there. Be careful to use a trustworthy source, like Geno's Garage.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
Recently, I had my oil changed at a San Diego-area Ram dealer. While there, the advisor asked whether I wanted to get my fuel filter changed since the truck was at 33,000 miles. The cost would only be $350. When I told him that I change the filter myself every 10,000, he stated that, should my engine fail and Ram find a non-Ram filter installed and I didn't have a receipt from an ASE certified repair facility, my engine warranty would be voided. I can't find the exact wording to this affect in my warranty doc, and I'm aware of the Magnuson-Moss Act. Initially, I wasn't too concern until I called another local dealer and was told almost the same thing.

1. What can I do to ensure my warranty will be "protected" if I change my own filter? Is it sufficient that I keep the receipt for the filter and receipt for the stall rental on the Navy Base where I changed the filter?

2. Where do fellow San Diegans go to get their fuel filter changed at a reasonable amount?

Any advice or references will be appreciated.
I have the Cummins (which has two fuel filters). I just buy the Mopar fuel filters wherever I can find them at the best price, often by buying 2 sets or more at a time, and that cuts the Dealership install by 1/2, down to only $138.

texcwa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L HO
As others have said, use OEM Filters and keep receipts. Also keep a log on when performed and mileage since some Maintenace items require "X Miles or X time frame". I keep mine on a spread sheet for all my vehicles.
Service Spread Sheet.jpg

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I find that https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com has more competitive prices that Geno's. But do like Genos as well. And I really like the Fumoto drain valves. Makes changes much cleaner/easier...
Just looked at diesel filters price an noticed that Genos is $3.00 cheaper for the pair of fuel filters and I sure would not use that prime guard fuel filter being I have doubts it meets the required 3 micron media...