Front shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jescal76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Maybe a dumb question. When I purchased my 2013 ram 1500 express, the build sheet said it had the extended ride high or heavy duty suspension, I have purchased 3 different sets of front shocks and they are all 1/2" shorter than stock and the valve body is at least 1/4" smaller in circumference. I can't seem to find the OEM replacements. Has anyone else come across this issue?

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i believe all the build sheets say heavy duty shock absorbers. all 1500's should have the same shocks with the exception of 2wd vs 4wd and trucks with air ride. its not uncommon that an aftermarket replacement shock be slightly shorter or different in diameter compared to what you removed. 1/2" is minimal and wont make any difference when installed.

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the trucks with 20" wheels get the higher ride height.

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know I read somewhere that they had an increased ride height with the 20" wheel. Maybe they were wrong or maybe what I read was just referring to the larger diameter tires and I misinterpreted it. I tried looking it up but couldn't find anything. They do list 2 different springs on my 2011. I couldn't find what the differences were in those. It could be for increased payload, crew cab vs. standard cab, or maybe increased ride height. Oh well, it's not like this is the first time I've been wrong about something.:idiot:

Last edited:

Jim_Thurston

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My outdoorsman also has the "increased ride height" and I only have 1.5" of rake from the factory.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My outdoorsman also has the "increased ride height" and I only have 1.5" of rake from the factory.

Where did you find that at? I don't have a build sheet on mine and the window sticker doesn't say anything? I would think ours would be the same. They did make a bunch of changes in '13 though.

Jim_Thurston

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put my Vin in the website and it gave me the build sheet. I can't remember the address but I'm sure a quick Google search and you'll find it. Mine is a 13 as well.

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I could live with the .5 inch height diff as long as clearance isn't that tight. But the valve body might create problems with valving being .25 smaller. Be rougher or more sluggish in terms of progression of spring movement. Or springs and valving might not play nicely together.

My dirtbike and street bikes rides severely different with different valving on the shocks . Let alone a 5000 lb truck.