Heavy Duty Shocks On A 2023 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
The new truck I just purchased came with an option optional off road package that includes front and rear Performance Tuned Shocks. Would anyone know if these affect the ride of the truck? My 2004 with leaf springs rides better than the new one. It's got a Cummins and the new one is lighter with a 6.4 but I expected the ride to be a little better with coils in the rear. The lengths of the trucks are almost identical but the wheelbase might be different. 2004 w/ 8ft bed crew cab and the new one with a crew cab 6.5ft bed. The new truck rides a lot like the 2014 3500 diesel I had.

The dealer I bought the truck from orders all his "lot trucks" the same. This group, Level 1, tow hooks and 410 axles on the 6.4 engines. Also towing tech group. I asked the salesman what the difference was in ride and he said the only difference was it changed the height of the truck taller by an inch. I ain't buying that whopper yet but maybe someone here knows the whole story. I don't need "tuned shocks" for what I do but maybe it makes no difference going down the road.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The shocks in the 2021 off-road package are Biltstiens. The OR package does cause the truck to sit 1" higher than the non-OR ones. Mine rides fine, but my other truck is a 2500 V10 with leaf rears and Bilstien shocks, so that is my basis of comparison. I have driven a lot of 2500 and 3500 trucks and like the ride of this new one. I found mine a bit rough as delivered from the dealer, until I dropped the rear tires to 42 pounds and the fronts to 50. I only air up if I load heavy or tow. They do NOT ride soft like the 1500s, even with the coil rears.

The Power Wagon version has a much softer ride than our 8' box versions because they use much softer springs. That would be an option if you wanted to smooth it out even more, but it will affect max payload and tow rating.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I am not a fan of Bilstein shocks. My PW has them. I’ve had them on other vehicles too.

Bilstein uses digressive valving, which makes the shock stiffer for its initial response to motion. That’s desirable for improved handling on the streets. So maybe a good choice for that kind of use.

On rough surfaces, washboard, railroad tracks etc it means you feel everything.

For my purposes I’d rather have a linear or even progressive shock. Such as Fox.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Bilstein uses digressive valving, which makes the shock stiffer for its initial response to motion. That’s desirable for improved handling on the streets. So maybe a good choice for that kind of use.

For my purposes I’d rather have a linear or even progressive shock. Such as Fox.
Interesting point. I agree, for a truck hauling a load, you need the damping for the rebound, not the initial hit. My truck came with the OEM Bilstein shocks, when I change them, I will look at Fox.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
The new truck I just purchased came with an option optional off road package that includes front and rear Performance Tuned Shocks. Would anyone know if these affect the ride of the truck? My 2004 with leaf springs rides better than the new one. It's got a Cummins and the new one is lighter with a 6.4 but I expected the ride to be a little better with coils in the rear. The lengths of the trucks are almost identical but the wheelbase might be different. 2004 w/ 8ft bed crew cab and the new one with a crew cab 6.5ft bed. The new truck rides a lot like the 2014 3500 diesel I had.

The dealer I bought the truck from orders all his "lot trucks" the same. This group, Level 1, tow hooks and 410 axles on the 6.4 engines. Also towing tech group. I asked the salesman what the difference was in ride and he said the only difference was it changed the height of the truck taller by an inch. I ain't buying that whopper yet but maybe someone here knows the whole story. I don't need "tuned shocks" for what I do but maybe it makes no difference going down the road.

Give it a chance to grow on you. You can also reduce the tire pressure when not towing or hauling.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would check tire pressure. If you have a lot in the rears, that will make it bad. I run mine around 45 in the rears unless I'm towing. The other thing I would say is the 8' bed on your other truck you are comparing gives a longer wheel base that makes the ride smoother/softer feeling than the shorter wheelbase. Also, the weight of the Cummins makes the ride softer on the front of the truck compared to the 6.4 hemi.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
I did lower the tires from the nanny required 65 LBS and of course now every time I start the truck I have the screen come up telling me that I need to inflate my tires. One click to scroll out of that but the low tire icon is always there. I went down to 50LBS but will try the 42 to see if I get a self destruct in five minutes message :( It does ride better at 50. I have a camper shell/topper ordered that will add some weight to the rear and that should help too. Maybe even a couple 90 LB cement bags. I imagine when towing the shocks will perform well. Lots to learn about this generation truck so thanks for the input. I did not want to have to take the new shocks off unless they were contributing to the ride. We have some very terrible primary and secondary roads but I need to have a truck/tow vehicle so must deal with it.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I reset my low air warnings with AlphaOBD. Have done a few other things with it too, but it was worth the price of the APP and the MX+ OBD reader and Kaodtech bypass cable for that fix alone.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Dean 2...I have an ARE 5" raised canopy ordered for my truck. The truck has the rear view camera and bed light. It protrudes further than the regular third stop light. If you have that light as well, does your top have a modification for that light? I made a point of asking the company ordering the top that question and he said ARE is aware of this light and makes room for it. Asked him to indicate that on the order as well. It's 6-8 weeks out but I'm curious if this might be an issue.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Dean 2...I have an ARE 5" raised canopy ordered for my truck. The truck has the rear view camera and bed light. It protrudes further than the regular third stop light. If you have that light as well, does your top have a modification for that light? I made a point of asking the company ordering the top that question and he said ARE is aware of this light and makes room for it. Asked him to indicate that on the order as well. It's 6-8 weeks out but I'm curious if this might be an issue.
I can't tell you that because I don't have the rearview camera. That said, it would have to stick out quite a ways to hit my canopy if it is mounted where the third brake light goes. Mine is NOT an ARE, it is a Range Rider Vista. There is a good 2+ icnhes of clearance to the standard brake light. 1000001875.jpgL1000001892.jpg

Attachments

• 1000001875.jpg
    1000001875.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the pix. Eases my mind. Looks like they build in excess room for the larger light. BTW, I was told there are only a couple manufacturers of canopys in the U.S. They make them for all the brands according to individual specs to confuse us consumers. So for instance DACO, Snug Top and Leer I know are all made in the same plant. Maybe ARE as well.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Thanks for the pix. Eases my mind. Looks like they build in excess room for the larger light. BTW, I was told there are only a couple manufacturers of canopys in the U.S. They make them for all the brands according to individual specs to confuse us consumers. So for instance DACO, Snug Top and Leer I know are all made in the same plant. Maybe ARE as well.
The Range Riders are made in British Columbia. It is an independant company that has been making canopies for over 30 years. I have one on my 1996 Dodge 2500. You may want to check themout. With the 35% you save due to exchange the 3000 Canadian price tag works out to less than $1900 bucks U.S.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
I am not a fan of Bilstein shocks. My PW has them. I’ve had them on other vehicles too.

I had Bilsteins from CJC for a week. They are like rocks. I bought some very pricey Carli tuned Fox's from CJC. Although a much improved ride they still pick up every bump in the road. 50 psi front and 40# in back with 200# of bagged gravel and a cab high Leer shell.

AlexC2350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had a 2018 2500 6.4 without the off road pkg. At the time I thought it rode great, especially compared to the fords and chevs I test drove. I traded it in for my 2020 2500 with the off road package and both me and my wife noticed right away how much the ride improved. The only real difference between the two trucks was the OR package.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Just spoke to a local mechanic this AM when I took my less than 500 mile new truck in for a tire repair. Picked up a two inch long 3/8 fine thread bolt in one of the wide grooves of the Firestone Trans Force tires. I nor them can fathom how any bolt of this design could enter the tire. Anyway...the man is also an RV repair shop and he mentioned that Bilstein shocks have a much higher rebound pressure setting. And you know what brand I have with the "tuned shocks" from RAM. He recommends Koni shocks for RVs and likely for my truck to get a better ride. Much lower initial resistance to bumps. I did not order the off road package for my truck. It was already on it on the lot. But I may be trying this out if a camper shell/canopy does not settle it down. Don't want to be changing new parts but this might be an exception. More research to follow.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
At the recommendation of others on the forum, I dropped my tire pressure to 45 F and 40 R on my power wagon and it rides worlds better empty. Still nowhere near my 1500 but doesn't feel like a pogo stick anymore.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
I have done 48-50 on the rear and 58-60 on the front. Was not sure how low I could go on the front with the V8. Used to a diesel up there. Drove 80 miles today and will try the lower pressure on the front and the rears. Pogo stick is a good analogy. I plan to do some research and find out if there IS a difference in the Koni vs Bilsteins. Might have to pony up some more bucks and change those out. Then hope it makes a difference.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have done 48-50 on the rear and 58-60 on the front. Was not sure how low I could go on the front with the V8. Used to a diesel up there. Drove 80 miles today and will try the lower pressure on the front and the rears. Pogo stick is a good analogy. I plan to do some research and find out if there IS a difference in the Koni vs Bilsteins. Might have to pony up some more bucks and change those out. Then hope it makes a difference.
I had a 2006 Dodge 2500 5.9 diesel, I ran my front tires in winter at 60 psi and 50 psi rear see no reason you would need more than that for the V8 empty being it is much lighter then a Cummins...

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Like i said before 6.4 2500 long bed. 40 rear, 50 front. Today due to weather getting colder, rear started at 36, front at 46. I will air them back up a bit to compensate for cold, but man it runs smooth and soft at that air. No pogo stick hop or basketball bounce effect and I was on some very rough pot holed and washboard roads today.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I think the stock bilstiens on my 2015pw have given up the ghost. My truck packs probably a n extra 900lbs. I have a cap-it raised topper with a homemade lift and a spare tire carrier that fits on the back bumper. My homemade rock sliders weigh about 500lbs. I would like shocks that can handle cold weather. Like dean2 I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada where it gets freezing a$$ cold. And the roads aren’t that great.

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpeg
    IMG_0754.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0699.jpeg
    IMG_0699.jpeg
    187.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0640.jpeg
    IMG_0640.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 7