Gas or diesel???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oilersfan2

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Im sure this has been asked a million times, but I Traded my 2010 1500 sport, for a 7000lb fifth wheel and a 6L 2500 Sierra about a year ago. I miss my Dodge so looking to get a 2500 Laramie or Longhorn. Truck will be used regularly as a daily driver. And towing the fifth wheel probably 10-20 trips a year (live in Northern Alberta so camping season is short) Is a diesel worth the extra up front and maintenance costs? Never have driven a diesel, so looking for opinions. Also any advantages to waiting for the 2013 model? Thanks

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're towing a fifth wheel that often, you'd probably benefit from having a diesel. If you shoot for an older 5.9L Cummins you won't have to deal with all the bullcrap emissions stuff. You'd see better mpg than towing with a gasser.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I guess my first post didn't go through

A gas 2500 would do the job but I would say you would be much happier with a diesel
It's sounds to me that you would probably travel 5k miles a year maybe more with your tailer and it should certainly last you sometime
The '13 models will be getting a resigned front suspension (may be hit or miss) and will be going to a DEF emmisions system rather then the current DPF system which should allow it to get slightly better fuel mileage

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hey Oilersfan.. I'm in Northern Alberta as well.. well, not right now, I'm currently in Calgary but home is Fort McMurray...

Anyhow, I had a 1500 Hemi 2007 that I ended up ditching when I found my 06 5.9L Cummins. I don't tow a whole lot anymore, and when I do, its only about 4500lbs, but the longevity of the diesel I think more than makes up for any additional costs. Its nice pulling the trailer through the Rogers pass and not even having to gear down climbing the biggest hills.. you may end up downshifting with 7k behind you, but 4500lbs it just walks over the mountain like its not even towing.

I'd highly suggest you go with a 5.9... there's no DPF/DEF/D-anything-F on them to cause grief.... an 06 3500 still goes for 25000 to 35000 depending on condition... but they seem to be holding their value real well... I got my 06 3 years ago for under 30k and I think I could still get that out of it if I had to.

So, whats Northern Alberta to you?

TXSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want a diesel for anything other than power I would say no.

You would have to put an insane amount of miles(like 250k-300k) on your vehicle to make up for the difference in cost b/n gasser and diesel.

I have a 08 3500 CTD because I tow a 40ft horse trailer. If it wasn't for wanting/needing the capacity and the power of the diesel I would not own it. All the costs are higher in maintenance, general wear and tear, and fuel.
Don't get me wrong, I love driving my diesel. I love my 1500 more.

I have owned all of the big 3 diesels. I love the power but could never justify the cost of owning one as a daily driver with occasional towing of loads under 10k.
I tow 7.5k with my 1500 3 times a week and still get 14mpg, that is mostly Texas highways and back dirt roads but none the less still good.

So for what it worth, that just my opinion..LOL

Reactions: jlb
OP
OP
O

Oilersfan2

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Thanks for the advice guys. Oops I meant to put up North in Alberta. I'm in Calgary. Usually tow to Edmonton, Banff/Canmore, McLean creek, waiparous or Coleman/Atlas area.