GM guy about to make the jump... would you buy in at this price?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mr.AK902

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
Congrats man, great move. I too went from a 2015 Silverado 1500/5.3/3.42 to my 2017 Ram 2500hd.

There were several things i grew to hate about that Chevy, a few are;

- horrible transmission tuning that only got marginally better with mileage, it also clunked loudly on downshifts,, of course the dealer claimed it was normal. Yes, my ram is not perfect either, but is worlds better

- horrible lazy, laggy, filled with torque management throttle response. It felt like it took 1/2 throttle before the truck would move. I absolutely HATED that.

- the square wheel wells look dumb.

- multiple recalls in the first 6 months of ownership to fix typical cheesy gm junk, drivers seat started getting lose, a known problem, seat belt issues, etc.

- the body panels are waif thin i felt like i could drop a crooked fart on them and dent them. Total junk. The aluminum hood would visibly shake at highway speeds. Junk.

- the 5.3 sounded like an erector set when started cold, especially on cold mornings, again told by the dealer, normal! OF course!

The 5.3 did have good power, but after only a few thousand miles, it was developing the typical gm junk interior rattles already. The drivers door lock actuator would squeak when temps were under 35 degrees, etc. I traded it in with 10,500 miles on it and have never looked back.

I love my RAM. I'm traditionally a ford and gm guy, primarily ford, but looked over all 3 of the big 3 real good and liked the Ram the best. Has great throttle response and the big 6.4 Hemi has A LOT of juice. While not perfrct, it's worlds better than that Silverado.

I had other reasons for upgrading to a 3/4 ton truck like needing more payload capacity, wanting iem trailer tow mirrors and such.

I've owned a bunch of trucks and my 17 Ram is my favorite of all off them so far. The steering and suspension components are Just massive compared to the 2500 Chevy and are bigger than the ford also.

I wish you the best with your new truck Sir. I'm sure you'll love it as much as i do mine.

-
i hear you, my GM list of complaints was lengthly too. At the end of the day, value for the $$$ prevails for me. GM nor Ford just simply couldn't offer me remotely close to the same truck and features as Ram was able to do for the money. It is by no means a cheap truck. Beautiful inside and out with the luxury and tech to back it up with a very driver friendly drivetrain. Homerun achieved

What's the name of the paint code for the copperhead? Looks good on this truck especially with the black out package.
I can get you the paint code. I don't drive it much as i have a work beater i commute in.... All my manuals are still wrapped in plastic in the glove box.

The copperhead is a great color. So much metallic flake in it.

MdMassey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like many of you here I'm a GM convert but I still like GM trucks... just older than 2006. Anything newer and they are not worth it. I just recently bought a 17 Rebel as some of you know but this isn't the first Ram/Dodge truck I have owned. I started with an 04 Dakota. Funny thing is I went to Chevy first and the sales staff pissed me off... but they let me drive a used Dakota that I liked but thought was too pricey. After leaving Chevy I went to VA Beach Dodge and they had brand new Dakotas for only a few $$ more than the used one. The next morning I own a new truck... Not a Chevy.

Fast forward to last Feb, a friend wants to buy a new Ford... He asks me to come with him. I hate fords so I do some research, find what is what with each American truck and convince my friend to look at GM and Ram before buying a Ford... he now drives a Ram... I liked his truck so much I traded my Wrangler in and got me a Rebel. Not sure if I'm gonna ever look at another brand after the way I get treated at Chrysler compared to the others.

Crawgator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I to went from a 2005 Chevy Z71 to a 2017 Rebel. I put 255,000 miles on the Chevy with original motor, transmission and transfer case. So I can't complain about it. I did want something more than the new Z71s could offer. Test drove a 2017 Z71, seats were very uncomfortable. It was very unimpressive. I decided to go with the Ram because of it being the best bang for my bucks and I wanted the 5.7 Hemi. Pulls my 22.5' bay boat with no issues at all. I bought it back in May, no issues so far. Drive a Ford at my work site, never would consider buying one.

Amos

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another gm convert. Drove nothing but gm my entire life until my 07 with 80,000 miles was rusted so bad I could not get the bed off to repair fuel pump. Holes rusted through rocker panels about 1 foot long on both sides. Rust all over the bed. I kept this truck clean but could not keep the rust at bay. I realize my situation is worse than most but now I drive a 17 Rebel.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Late to the party here...but congrats on the Copperhead Ram!

That is a gorgeous color...if I hadn't purchased my Rebel I would have found a Copperhead Sport.

OP
OP
Mr.AK902

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
Late to the party here...but congrats on the Copperhead Ram!

That is a gorgeous color...if I hadn't purchased my Rebel I would have found a Copperhead Sport.

Welcome aboard, EXTREMELY happy too be here and even happier with my ram. It isn't near as shiny now as it was, but i drive it lightly with 4,000 km's on the clock I love it more each day. Amazing truck to drive, again, very pleased. I have a nice build planned out. Very excited to make this truck my own.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine

shibby927

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

loknload

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just purchased a 2015 Ram Laramie, will never look at a GM product again unless it's a Corvette!

Salsa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congratulations on your new ride. That's a great color and my wife's favorite. However, at the end of our block a guy owns one and I just wanted to be different so I went with a bright silver express. I traded in my 2500 HD Laramie SLT with a V10. Wow, do I get some great mileage with the 3.21 gears. lol

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Couple weeks ago I was set on buying a replacement GMC, to the short box SWB GMC I have had for several years. I was looking at trucks a couple years old. First off, there are scant few regular cab short box trucks around these days (extended cabs are way more popular here), and those ya do see are either bare bones or expensive, or sold right away.

I wasn't all that sold on the squared-off wheel well body design of the new GM trucks, but what pushed me towards Rams was the terrible over-the-hood visibility due to the GM's tall bull-nose hoods. There were some other things too like the door handles being way down low ..that Rams have rear box plastic fender liners (to help prevent rust), and to me, the seating position in the Ram is more natural and comfortable. So I went with a 2012 they had on the lot that just came in on trade (and was a good deal). I have had good luck in the past with GM's but so far really love the Ram!

OP
OP
Mr.AK902

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
this truck is amazing on fuel, 3.92 gears and all. Did a 7 hour return trip from Regina SK to Edmonton AB and back over the course of my 2 week work hitch. Averaged a steady 11L/100km on the way up @ 125km/h and a steady 14L/100km @ 127km/h into a head wind. Very impressed

OP
OP
Mr.AK902

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine
Congratulations on your new ride. That's a great color and my wife's favorite. However, at the end of our block a guy owns one and I just wanted to be different so I went with a bright silver express. I traded in my 2500 HD Laramie SLT with a V10. Wow, do I get some great mileage with the 3.21 gears. lol

thanks, silver and grey are my second favourite colours. so easy to make a nice truck out of those 2, and very low maintenance

Ramcolorado

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for my ignorance but what is that in mpg? Thanks

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry for my ignorance but what is that in mpg? Thanks

Miles Per Gallon. No need to apologize, this is what an on-line forum is for, sharing of knowledge.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think he meant what is 11 Liters per 100KM in MPG.

21.38MPG = 11 Liters per 100KM

16.8MPG = 14 Liters per 100KM

If my math on the old google calculator is correct.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Ah... Missed that.

OP
OP
Mr.AK902

Mr.AK902

Reaction score
Ram Year
17'
Engine

Correct sir

Ah... Missed that.
Canadian economy numbers lol.... 16.8 MPG has been my worst average yet and that was 25k/mh over the speed limit into a big head wind.

Ramcolorado

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks all you that is what I meant. Just did 1,000 miles highway and got 18.50. Just have 1,500 miles on truck. I am happy with that but am hoping it might get a little better once broke in. 5.7, 8 spd. 3.92 rear.