Hemi vs diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amcmachine70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey all, trading in my 5 month old 1500 for a 2500.didnt think I needed it but am buying a 33 ft travel trailer weighing 7200 pounds dry plus the family and camping goods sooo lots of weight.Anyway any thoughts on the hemi vs diesel.I will only be towing this about 5 times a year during spring through fall,is the diesel really worth the extra cash.The towing capacity I need will be handled no prob with the hemi so that's not the question,it's fuel mileage,maintence,fuel cost and return,fuel availability.Any opinions

spankis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Can't do all the math for you there. But you will likely be towing 9000-10000 lbs all loaded up, which is very similar to my parents 32' trailer. I get 11-12 mpg towing it with my 2007 6.7 Cummins (2wd), and my dad gets 10.5-11.5 towing it with his 2010 6.7 Cummins (4wd). Both trucks are 6-speed manuals for what that's worth. I won't be like all the rest of the diesel guys who say "you won't know it's back there", because you absolutely do, but the diesel really is worlds better. Coming from towing the same camper with a gas motored suburban, the difference is night and day. It's a matter of how and when the two different motors make power, rather than just the difference in power. I will also say that just having the heavier, solid axle chassis of the 2500 (in either gas or diesel) makes a huge difference over a half-ton with that much weight behind you. You really do automatically feel a lot more stable and confident.

Yes, diesels require different maintenance (not necessarily more), and currently diesel is more costly than gasoline. All that math you have to do yourself to see what best fits your situation. If there is anything I can answer about owning a diesel vs. gas truck I will gladly do so.

The hemi will tow it, yes, but it won't be fun or particularly comfortable and it will be doing about all it can do. You will be well into the rev range frequently. I would doubt a hemi-powered 2500 would do better than 6 or 7 mpg towing the same camper. The cummins diesel will rather leisurely tow the load you're hauling, your fuel mileage will benefit, and you won't be worried about over-working the truck, because your using it well below what it's capable of/rated for.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I've had both, and my Hemi is currently the best all around vehicle I ever had. Mostly because when I had the Cummins it was a different truck, the 4 gens are fricking so awesome. Having said all that, there is no better engine anywhere then the Cummins. Drove one perfessionally for a decade, and had a 02 Cummins ram, and if you have the money go for it. If you do get the Cummins, the best upgrade you can do is get a bypass oil filter. You can also tune it up and get temp gauge upgrades, and that truck will probably outlast you. The one thing you need to do is go to the TDR website, it is Cummins central and you will get a ton of info. Since the USA screwed with diesel most guys run some additives to keep your engine healthy. Also, if someday there is a gas shortage, with a few mods you can drive it with any oil.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
In your case, I think you are going to be much happier with the diesel. Sure, it costs more up front, but they hold their value much better, get better mileage, and make more power. They dont cost much more to maintain like many people say...My last 2 trucks and 100k miles driven have been in a 2007 and now a 2010 cummins, and I have yet to notice any extra maintenance issues that I didnt have with my previous hemi truck. Only part to fail on the 2 trucks was a water pump after spending a week in sub zero temps in Colorado. Aside from that, both trucks have been extremely reliable.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemi.
How do you use the truck the rest of the year?
I really think its personal preference. If you want to go CTD, wait for a promo where they offer the 2500 with no charge CTD, and you just have to pay the upgrade for the auto trans. I was ALMOST there, but didn't want the higher ride height and harsher ride of the 2500. If you're getting that anyway, just have a real close look at how you will use it OVERALL.
I only build fences and help buddies move a couple times a year and work in an office the rest. Sure, I work hard those few days but I watch it and it doesn't kill me. Same as a Hemi IMO.

EDIT- We pull a 32' travel trailer at almost 8,000lbs loaded

Last edited:

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Dude wait until the 30000 lbs tow rating 3500 Cummins comes that thing will be insane.

$miley

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never had a diesel, but after being around here for a while, it comes down to this

hemi = once in a while towing\ less maintance \ less in gas

Diesel = tow more \ more maintance \ long lasting engine

PowerWagon2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never had a diesel, but after being around here for a while, it comes down to this

hemi = once in a while towing\ less maintance \ less in gas

Diesel = tow more \ more maintance \ long lasting engine

I had a 2500 hemi before my 2500 ctd. The best I mpg I ever got in the Powerwagon was about 14. I'm getting almost 18 hand calculated driving mostly on the highway. After the egr and dpf delete I can lift it and run 37's and still see great mileage. You put another 8-10k pounds behind that hemi and expect to get about 6-8mpg.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
While gas engines to me a more fun and cheaper on maintenance, diesel engines will last a long time, better mileage, can tow more, and they're designed to do exactly what you want the truck for.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Those of you that have said diesels cost more to maintain, what exactly costs more about it? Aside from it needing more oil per oil change (which I only change at 7500 miles as apposed to 3000 miles on my gas trucks), what other expenses are you talking about that you wouldnt have to do to a gas truck as well?

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I agree with matt. The only added cost i have with my ctd is the extra oil at change and a fuel additive for my injectors. Neither is really that much. Only real issues i have with the new ctd is the egr crap and the 2013's getting exhaust additive.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I don't think it's so much the regular maintenance (a little more oil and fuel filters can be kindof pricey) but when parts do break/go bad they can be more expensive
That's going to be hit or miss/a matter of luck with any truck

65Bowtie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had been driving a Diesel for the past 9 years and loved it. Knowing I could hook to damn near anything and tow it was piece of mind. It had enough brakes to stop most anything and on heavy loads you augment those with trailer brakes anyways. I almost bought another Diesel this time around but I know my heavy hauling days are pretty much behind me, expecially since buying a RV last year. My current trailer is only rated for something like 7500 lbs and has electric brakes so I know this truck will haul it no problem. Its for yard/housework and to haul my Can Am Commander and another ATV for hunting locally or just having fun.

Some of the added costs to Diesels are for some stupid strange reason that cant really be explained, the fuel now costs more, even more than premium in some places. They hold 3X the ammount of oil, yet go farther per oil change and their oil is a bit more expensive but I used nothing but the best (Rotella T). Fuel additive like Stanadyne or Power Service. Stanadyne cost me $30 per little jug that would last a couple months or so (your injectors and pump will thank you in the long run).

Some of the new things that really turned me off the new Diesels is all the big 3 have a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). This DPF loads up with the soot from the exhaust and after X ammount of hours the engine is designed to dump fuel and run super rich to burn it off. This needs to be done at highway speeds and severly affects mileage. Stop and go traffic, short runs around town will not allow it to burn off all the soot eventually clogging the DPF and requiring it to be changed (or left of completely). EGR, not really happy about this one either but its liveable.

Chevy and Ford both use Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF). DEF is a urea injection into the exhaust that is supposed to reduce emissions. I have not heard of a way to remove this, and you cant just let the tank run dry. It needs to be filled with every oil change or even more frequent. This adds about $100 currently to the oil changes if not more. Urea is swine *****, and anyone that has lived in the northern states back in the day remembers what it does to body parts, severe rust, so how can this be good for your exhaust system? Its just a matter of time before Dodge is forced to adopt this technology with EPA mandates.

Its fairly easy to do whats called deletes on the Dodge, removing the DPF and EGR though I have also heard of problems with removing the EGR as it starts to mix moisture with your oil. I also believe its to early to know exactly what kind of damage might be caused by deleting the EGR, these motors are designed to run for 400k miles or better and I doubt anyone has hit that mark working the **** out of thier truck.

Other drawbacks are difficulty finding fueling stations then waiting for the damn gas cars to get out of your way because those pumps also deliver gas. Difficulty filling from a high flow pump designed for big rigs, huge mess and having to baby the handle. When traveling from the south to the north you must be careful because the south only runs Diesel #2 and in the north you need Diesel #1 when the temps start to get around freezing. Diesel #2 has parafin wax that comes out of suspension when cold and will clog your filters up and leave you stranded. Diesel #1 causes lower fuel economy and is harder on your engine because of the decreased lubricant (parafin wax). Then last but not least is Diesels are cold running engines, every one I drove while in the military and my own personal one never reached normal operating temperature in the Alaskan winters. So this is causing the engine to run in a rich (choked) conditon all the time therby decreasing fuel economy (my 03 Duramax would average 20 in the summer and 13 in the winter). Idling does not heat the motor up nearly as well as a gas engine so the engine has to be under some sort of load. This can make for a cool ride some times!

The bonuses are obvious, exhaust brakes for increased braking performance, torque out the ying yang, slightly better unloaded fuel economy, much better loaded fuel economy. Increased trade in value, my Diesel increased my trade in by about 33%.

I would have to be hauling more than 5 times a year to warant getting a Diesel, but thats just me and thats why I bought a gasser.

Thats my .02, climbing off my soap box now.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sometimes the truth is stranger then fiction, while I loved my Cummins I had to trade it in because I couldn't shift it with my bad knee. If I had bought an auto I would still be driving it today no doubt. Anyhow, the truth is I got more in trade then I paid for it from Dodge by 500 bucks, and that is no joke. I bought an ad car from Ford like 10 grand off MSRP, and they gave my 500 more for my Cummins then I paid for it. I could not believe it when the salesman told me how much they where giving me for my trade, lol. Good luck accomplishing that with a gas engine. I love my Hemi, but I miss that sweet turbo sound. A small thing to consider but I always appreciated was that diesel isn't flammable. You don't have to worry about the fumes catching fire as much as gas. Most likely if you tossed a match into diesel it would put out the flame, whereas you can't get a flame even near fumes of gas.

reddot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Ive had nothing go bad yet on my ctd. Water pump bearing may have been a little loose and that is at least one part that is cheaper then any gasser, not saying that is the norm.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I have had the same experience with my diesels as well. My last truck was well built and pushing over 600hp/1200tq and the only part to fail was a water pump...cheap fix. Sold that truck at 88k miles to get into a 4th gen with more cab space. I am now at 48k on my current 6.7 diesel, and havent had to do any maintenance aside from your basic fluid changes.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
In don't think there is more maintenance on a diesel just that things you have to do at some point tend to be higher cost such as injectors. I would drive either and not hesitate but for towing a lot Cummins is so much better not even close. I love my HEMI in the winter though since I park outside and the high later this week is -20F.

$miley