2023 GM Duramax Diesel 3.0L I6 - Test Drive Impression

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Wrong - the CP4-2 is used on larger engines. The CP4-1 is used on smaller. I currently have a recall for my 2020 EcoDiesel with the CP4-1 pump. The F150 3.0L Diesel also uses the CP4-1

Wrong again - The CP4 is a higher pressure version of the CP3. It is less expensive, lighter, and more efficient. It's main failure mode is cavitation and lack of lubricity. This is why the lack of a lift pump (higher differential pressure) ABSOLUTELY contributes to the failures. As you said -WELL DOCUMENTED BY THIS POINT. Adding lubricant to our low sulfur fuels makes these pumps last. I'll let the lawyers figure out if that's worthy of a class action suit.

I read up on the Gen3 ED before I bought it. You should do the same. There were failures on the Gen 1 and 2. Gen 3 has been very good. Unfortunately, they are discontinuing (I would have bought another).

On the flip side, you are pinning your homes and dreams on a Gen1 3.0L Duramax where you don't like the ride quality or Fit/Finish. Sorry, but I wouldn't buy a Gen 1 anything (including Toyota) particularly if I didn't care for the rest of the vehicle.

For your edification - here's the TSB list for the Silverado 1500 with the small diesel. Interesting that the have some related to "excessive fuel contamination" and "fuel additives". Doesn't sound anything like a high pressure pump concern - or does it?

Silverado 1500 3.0L Diesel TSB

I read the comments and links from the members here. I was speaking to Gen 1 and Gen 2. ED is being discontinued. Why would I consider vapor-ware?

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I've driven the older 2.7, 5.3, and the older 3.0 from GM. I wouldn't get the 5.3 over my truck because why, less power in a v8. Loved the 3.0, and the 2.7 was very surprising; haven't driven the new variants which both make significantly more torque.

Back then the interior was quite bad, not sure the year I tested, 2019 + 2020 in the diesel probably.

I do like the new gms, but purchasing one for me at this point would be a side step and completely pointless considering what I want from a truck and how my truck is currently running. The diesel is very attractive to me, but horribly expensive given the entry trim level and I'd never make that deal work financially. But if I cracked up my truck? Yeah I'd be heading to the GM dealer for sure to take another look.

But Ram raised prices equivalent to GM, now. I use Edmunds configurators for comparing.

So we choose from unreliable powertrains or painful seating.

Hey, @Wild one - let's retrofit Ram with GM Duramax LZ0 and whatever they call the 10 speed trans for the half tons!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
But Ram raised prices equivalent to GM, now. I use Edmunds configurators for comparing.

Hey, @Wild one - let's retrofit Ram with GM Duramax LZ0 and whatever they call the 10 speed trans for the half tons!
Outta my league,as i'm not into engines with glow plugs,i'm still a spark plug type guy :Big Laugh:

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I read the comments and links from the members here. I was speaking to Gen 1 and Gen 2. ED is being discontinued. Why would I consider vapor-ware?
I have no problems with your choice on the GM Engine. As I said, I really liked the exhaust brake.

I do object to the other misinformation. There are a lot of people who follow this forum.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I have no problems with your choice on the GM Engine. As I said, I really liked the exhaust brake.

I do object to the other misinformation. There are a lot of people who follow this forum.

Well, good. I object to your assessment of the ecodiesel as a well-designed, reliable engine for consideration. It's not. And it's cancelled. Take your incorrect advice elsewhere.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Honestly I don't read much into the MSRP. My pricing info came directly from the dealer; I "built" a truck I wanted at Ram and at a GM dealer and the GM dealer was exorbitant. Ram has traditionally been much cheaper once you get around to actually signing the paper, at least in my area. MSRP only, yep they're pretty identical.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No harm no foul. You're correct that the ED is cancelled. So is the HEMI (maybe you hadn't heard).

I hope you enjoy 1/3 of your GM truck

The hemi is still available for purchase right now, brand new. That's what matters (I believe) to him. The 6.4 especially, there has been no indication that the 2500 is dropping the hemi within the next 2 years but yes its days are numbered as well, we all get that.

Comparing the hemi to the ED, the ED is very bad in terms of longevity. Some guys get lucky, many do not, far more than guys that have issues in the hemi.

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
The hemi is still available for purchase right now, brand new. That's what matters (I believe) to him. The 6.4 especially, there has been no indication that the 2500 is dropping the hemi within the next 2 years but yes its days are numbered as well, we all get that.

Comparing the hemi to the ED, the ED is very bad in terms of longevity. Some guys get lucky, many do not, far more than guys that have issues in the hemi.
I'm sorry if I offended. We were not talking about the 2500, but rather the 1500 with the diesel.

I asked an honest question and was thrown BS. I feel the need to call that out when I see it.

I very much hope to prove your "prediction" of the ED 3 longevity incorrect. I'll let you know in 200,000 miles.

End of story. Have a nice life.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm sorry if I offended. We were not talking about the 2500, but rather the 1500 with the diesel.

I asked an honest question and was thrown BS. I feel the need to call that out when I see it.

I very much hope to prove your "prediction" of the ED 3 longevity incorrect. I'll let you know in 200,000 miles.

End of story. Have a nice life.

Actually I think it's you that's a wee bit sensitive to critisism of your ED. If you're happy with it, that's all that matters my friend. My hemi isn't perfect but I love it for the most part, got to solve a pinging issue which is a little bothersome but I'm aiming for 300,000+ miles on this truck.

20IndyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Actually I think it's you that's a wee bit sensitive to critisism of your ED. If you're happy with it, that's all that matters my friend. My hemi isn't perfect but I love it for the most part, got to solve a pinging issue which is a little bothersome but I'm aiming for 300,000+ miles on this truck.
You are allowed to think that. It's incorrect. The Eco isn't MY engine. I didn't design it. I did design many things for aircraft engines, but the ED was not one of them. I do enjoy the power and economy of the Eco.

I also have the Hemi in my '06 300. I love it. It's had some issues - I've solved them. I wish you the best with yours. This wasn't about that. Not sure how this turned into a ******* match - that's at least partly on me.

Still don't understand how someone can call an engine bad with no firsthand knowledge, and no data. But here I go again...

I'll confess to loving the slant 6.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
No harm no foul. You're correct that the ED is cancelled. So is the HEMI (maybe you hadn't heard).

I hope you enjoy 1/3 of your GM truck

What is your problem? You think I don't know this.

You've added zero of substance to my thread and more than earned an ignore. Goodbye.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Let's keep things civil or the thread will go away

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I test drove one last year while truck shopping. I was impressed.

I’ve talked with owners and they seem well satisfied and reported mileage around high 20’s to 30.

Now that GM offers the diesel in a ZR2 I may give them another look. I’d probably be driving a ZR2 now if the Chevy dealer hadn’t tried playing the usual games rather than being straight with me.
I just looked and Chevy isn't offering the diesel in the ZR2. They are offering it in the trail boss. I checked and Ram isn't offering it in the rebel either.

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Shawn Burns

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i see now. I will not be in the market for a new truck for a decade. But, that truck is a temptation. I also saw an AT4 duramax that was nice!