key reprogramming question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a spare key from my 2014 Ram. I have my factory Rebel keys but would love to have another spare key to keep in my boat as my girlfriend has the spare the truck came with.

Is it easy to reprogram the key from my 14 to work for my Rebel? I know that it won't have the air suspension button or the remote start but that isn't a concern for me. Do I have to bring it to the dealership for the reprogram? Or is it something I can do at home by hitting a certain sequence of buttons?

Thanks in advance!

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Subscribed.

I have a similar situation.

CF_Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If I'm not mistaken, it can be done, but the dealer has to do it. I would just stop by the dealer and ask (if they are close, or call). They'll likely charge you shop rate to do it though.

OP
OP
lmeavtitn

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Alright I'm going to swing by my local dealer today while I'm out running around.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I think the fobs run around $600

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Sportram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4 CC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My dog ate one of mine. I bought one off of Amazon for $60.00 I got an appointment Thursday to get it programmed. It has remote start.

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the fobs run around $600

Actually I think they are closer to $750.00 from the dealer ...LOL ! I think you have an extra zero or misplaced a decimal.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Actually I think they are closer to $750.00 from the dealer ...LOL ! I think you have an extra zero or misplaced a decimal.
Which is silly when you could just add factory remote start for that price and get 2 new FOBs...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn , I was joking about the price what does the dealer charge for the fobs ?
My buddy found one for $60.00 on ebay and he's heading to the dealer to get it programed for $40 as soon as it gets in ...

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
FYI, when dealer installed remote start on mine, they could not reuse the old ones so that I had extra remotes. Basically i was told that they can only be programmed once/can't be reused.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
FYI, when dealer installed remote start on mine, they could not reuse the old find so that I had extra remotes. Basically can only be programmed once/can't be reused.

I've found this to be untrue. If that were the case, the dball wouldn't work.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I've found this to be untrue. If that were the case, the dball wouldn't work.

I still have the old ones but they won't don't work any more. Not sure about the dball. (Is that like dznuts? ) jk.
I must be tired & couldn't resist.

Wouldn't mind hearing more about reprogramming used remotes to a 2013+ truck. Dealer claimed they were coded once only, but we know the dealer isn't always right.

Last edited:

Sportram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4 CC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I bought a used fob on Amazon, according to the Amazon dealer I bought mine from it is possible to reset back to factory settings. It has a 90 day warranty. I have a appointment Thursday to program the one I bought from him. I will report back.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Damn , I was joking about the price what does the dealer charge for the fobs ?
My buddy found one for $60.00 on ebay and he's heading to the dealer to get it programed for $40 as soon as it gets in ...
An OEM one? Maybe I'm thinking of the push button start fobs

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I still have the old ones but they won't don't work any more. Not sure about the dball. (Is that like dznuts? ) jk.
I must be tired & couldn't resist.

Wouldn't mind hearing more about reprogramming used remotes to a 2013+ truck. Dealer claimed they were coded once only, but we know the dealer isn't always right.

All of the dealership say this (Just had this experience with Nissan). I took my wife's Altima in to have the new remote start FOBs programmed. They said only two can work but I asked the tech to just program the new ones and leave the old ones be to see. He actually did what I asked and all 4 work, the old ones just can't remote start the vehicle.

More to the point though, Cuylertech has 6 working FOBs for his truck.

OP
OP
lmeavtitn

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Dealer did it for me. Took under 10 mins. I guess it is possible to "relearn" a key fob to a new truck. My local stealership only charged me 30 bucks plus tax. Not too bad at all.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Dealer did it for me. Took under 10 mins. I guess it is possible to "relearn" a key fob to a new truck. My local stealership only charged me 30 bucks plus tax. Not too bad at all.

Your reprogrammed key fob was previously used on a different truck?

Edit:
Looks like the answer is yes:
I have a spare key from my 2014 Ram. I have my factory Rebel keys but would love to have another spare key to keep in my boat as my girlfriend has the spare the truck came with.

Is it easy to reprogram the key from my 14 to work for my Rebel? I know that it won't have the air suspension button or the remote start but that isn't a concern for me. Do I have to bring it to the dealership for the reprogram? Or is it something I can do at home by hitting a certain sequence of buttons?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Yes I have 6 fobs for my truck. Dont ask me why lol. The reason the stock keys no longer work after adding OEM remote start is because the module that the stock ones are paired to is removed and replaced with the remote start one which has a different unique id. I just asked them to program the other keys I had when they flashed the code for remote start, took all of 5 minutes to do.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Thanks. Just confirms that some dealers continue to jerk people around.

Sportram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4 CC
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Sweet I hope my goes as well.