Mod or trade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
I bought my RAM knowing it was missing features I wanted, but it had all the must have features I needed and then some and the price was right.

Until very recently I've been happy with it, but lately I've been almost obsessively thinking out what I'm missing. Thoughts of modding, trading it in on a better equipped RAM, or get something else keep popping up. I recently got rid of two other vehicles and I've not been in many rental or fleet vehicles lately so I guess that kind of triggered it as I'm driving it more.

I wonder at what point upgrading is more economical with all the alleged sales going on and a perception my trade in would be relatively high value. The little things I want to do are adding up. Ultimately they are all nice to haves that don't stop me from driving the truck, and most won't deal with the annoyances I have with the truck that often seem to come down to I should be using another vehicle to do this (parking garages - grr). I think of parking garages, then I think of lowering. Then I think of lowing vs. a new one with air suspension and the slick ride that comes with. Then I think of a used convertible or midsize car.

The feature that find to be an annoyance is the part time transfer case. I run into the limitations for speed and conditions it has a lot. Logically I know it's no big deal slowing down a bit or slide around a bit more and saving some gas in the process but it's been gnawing at me.

I can swing the financing on another vehicle or a better truck, but I don't have spare cash laying around. Or a retirement fund. The wife mobile is descent and I can always rent when I'm bored or in a pinch.

OP
OP
Tim7139

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
This is the list I'm thinking of dropping by the dealer with

New truck Must Haves
Shift on demand 4x4
air suspension
RamBoxs
20" rims
backup cam

Want to have
Rear defroster
anti spin diff
turn signal mirror

Nice to haves
Auto AC
Power petals
sport hood
ventilated seats
Night Edition?
Fender flairs?

Preference
Not black or white
No Sunroof
No key less ignition

I think I'd be looking at a Big Horn, Sport, or Laramie variant.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tim7139

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
Mod/Upgrade wish list

Probably
Chip repair (hood, doors, fender)
Repaint bumper (too many chips to repair)
20" wheel and tire package
Cluster swap
Rear view Cam
upper glove box
Leather wheel - holding off on heat option/possible package
Rear LED

Maybe
Overhead console
Interior lights (SSV has single manual/no door activation)
Footwell lights
Rear 60/40 bench (heat?)
Mirrors with turn signals
8.4" with AutoClimate
New grill/ tailgate badges (SSV over rams head/muted colour)

Possibly
Kicker upgrade?
Ventilated seats?
2/4 drop kit?
Sport hood?
Fog lights
LED taillight/signal/reverse bar

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
how much time and money are you willing to invest in mods? If you enjoy mods and taking your time doing them that might be the way to go. However if you want instant gratification, go new

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I say if you're obsessing about it go ahead and buy one with all the options you want. You won't be satisfied until you do. I traded a 14 Sport on a 17 Laramie for that same reason a couple months ago and do not regret it.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Mod/Upgrade wish list

Probably
Chip repair (hood, doors, fender)
Repaint bumper (too many chips to repair)
20" wheel and tire package
Cluster swap
Rear view Cam
upper glove box
Leather wheel - holding off on heat option/possible package
Rear LED

Maybe
Overhead console
Interior lights (SSV has single manual/no door activation)
Footwell lights
Rear 60/40 bench (heat?)
Mirrors with turn signals
8.4" with AutoClimate
New grill/ tailgate badges (SSV over rams head/muted colour)

Possibly
Kicker upgrade?
Ventilated seats?
2/4 drop kit?
Sport hood?
Fog lights
LED taillight/signal/reverse bar
This is approaching the level of obsession.

My read is you will never be happy with your current truck knowing the holy grail truck is out there.

Trade in and get new if you can afford it.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's a big list of add ons, I would trade if I were you. I just went from a 2015 to a loaded 2017 Longhorn because of the extra features.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't really care about features so I'd mod.

90% of the extras I'd never use and when I did it would be rarely. Like my Silverado had auto 4x4 but I rarely used it and not like it was hard to push 4x4 myself. Or power seat, once my seat is in position i never move it, so its pointless.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Tim7139, I'm going to change this from a truck discussion to a financial discussion. Since that is really what it is. To quote you "but I don't have spare cash laying around. Or a retirement fund", states everything you need to know.

Anything you do will cost you money that you state you don't have right now. New truck, costs money, mods, cost money. So, my recommendation is to be happy with what you have till you can come back and make the same post and can feel good about not including a "money stipulation".

Your future is more important than your truck.

We obviously don't know each other from Adam, but I would give my best friend this same advice if he gave me your same scenario.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Agree with above, be happy with what you have. To be more blunt, you can't afford to make changes.

OP
OP
Tim7139

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
I don't really care about features so I'd mod.

90% of the extras I'd never use and when I did it would be rarely. Like my Silverado had auto 4x4 but I rarely used it and not like it was hard to push 4x4 myself. Or power seat, once my seat is in position i never move it, so its pointless.

The issue is less the effort in the use of the switch, but the ability to use above 80Kph and on more road surfaces. Around Edmonton it's not too bad but near Calgary going from bare and dry main roads to deep mushy side streets or secondary highways multiple times each drive I get tired of flipping in and out of 4high and end up just staying in RWD and thinking what's the point of owning a 4x4. Gravel roads are the same, if the goings not ruff I feel left behind. There have been a times on the highway in the mountain passes where I needed to slow down, been prevented from passing, or use the system when I'm not supposed to.

OP
OP
Tim7139

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
Tim7139, I'm going to change this from a truck discussion to a financial discussion. Since that is really what it is. To quote you "but I don't have spare cash laying around. Or a retirement fund", states everything you need to know.

Anything you do will cost you money that you state you don't have right now. New truck, costs money, mods, cost money. So, my recommendation is to be happy with what you have till you can come back and make the same post and can feel good about not including a "money stipulation".

Your future is more important than your truck.

We obviously don't know each other from Adam, but I would give my best friend this same advice if he gave me your same scenario.

I appreciate the advice. The hope was to imply I was hardly flush with cash. I tend to dwell when purchases aren't from surplus cash on hand with lots left over. Ultimately that does no stop me from financing a home or vehicle, but it tends to keep things more modest. A 1000sq ft home with no garage instead of a 1,200sq ft home with a front attached garage, an SSV instead of a Sport.

That is why I held off on most mods or only made minimal effort. I look and think it's been a year without the steering wheel already, it bugged me but what's another few, or never. I accept it will be consumed enjoyment money and not adding value in a meaningful way.

Buying the new truck would mean putting of other things, but not going without. Not spending money could pay of other things sooner.

Some of the issue is I bought cheap thinking it could be happy enough and I'm not as happy as I hoped. Thankfully everything I feel frustrated by is stuff I accepted going in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tim7139

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
I read this today and figured I would post the other perspective. Not that I necessarily agree.

From this perspective if I ever upgrade the wheel chances are it will be the same cost or more money, and I have cost myself time I would have enjoyed the truck more.

You Should Modify Your Car the First Day You Get It

Last edited:

big john 02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
build the truck you want, I took my SLt and did a full laramie swap for around 3500 bucks flares heads tails, heated cooled power leather seats console heated wheel and premium cluster and door panels, Im only waiting on the upper laramie dash pad and Ill be all in for about 4k saved a ton of cash and I did it. granite if your gonna do this to a gas truck it may not be as worth it and it being done to a diesel. but it was actually still fun to do. and the knowledge of some guys on here is unsurpassed

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like the stuff I've done to my truck but damm if I don't regret all the money that went into it.

Kinda why I slowed down lol