My 2013 truck issues - to sell it or to keep?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2013 1500 Big Horn QC 5.9 4x4, 8 speed, with 36k miles (warranty just ran out). I do have 3rd party bs extended warranty (not Chrysler one) up to 8 years 150k, but i've heard bad things about this company...

I always took great care of my truck - RedLine oil, catch can, never racing it

Issues i had so far over last 2 years:

1. Truck made weird noises during acceleration - was traced to some loose metal cable under truck - fixed

2. Loud Knocking noises - Manifold bolts replaced, Rocker arm assembly replaced, one of lifters replaced.

3. Check Engine light up at 35k miles, was traced to cylinder misfire, some residue under spark plugs, and to failing fuel injector (injector getting replaced now).

4. During last 10k miles, i also keep hearing some weird random grinding noise during moderate acceleration. Wasn't able to get dealer to notice that one, and honestly didn't had any more energy or time to deal with these constant issues. Not sure if this noise a big deal or not... hope it may be covered under powertrain warranty anyway.

Does this sound like too many issues, and should i consider selling the truck?

I love my truck, but if i were to think Clearly , and Objectively if the truck has this many random BS issues during the first 2 years of ownership, then even more **** can break as it gets older?

Thank You - any feedback is appreciated!

fordtech90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I kept having problems like that I'd get tired of taking it to the dealer. Then you risk the chance of being stranded if something major breaks down. 1 trip to the shop ain't bad, but it seems like your having multiple issues. I'd trade it in and get a 16' model. MY .02€

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Thank You.

Anyone else have any advise on this?

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
a three year old truck at 36000 miles and its giving you that much trouble? I would imagine it should be a lot more dependable than that. For me, dependability is paramount. I'd sell it and try to find something with less troubles and a non-3rd party warrantee. Of course, another used truck could be a crap shoot as well.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think if it were me, I would be frustrated and trade it in... I mean like others have said, you buy a vehicle to be dependable... Especially a truck. The last thing you need is to be stranded somewhere because of an issue(s) that your dealer couldn't find. That's my opinion though. Best of luck in whatever you decide!

Adam

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
If I were you I'd hang on to it until the 2017 redesigns come out. You paid for the extended warranty, might as well get your money out of it.

TapRackBang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd dump it. Hell I am considering canning my 2015 due to my areas dealerships lack of accountability and inability to find time to service warranty issues. Needless to say this truck will be that last Chrysler product I ever buy.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sorry to hear about your woes, but financially will it be feasible for you ?

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have a warranty for a while plus the powertrain warranty goes to 100k I believe.

But on another note, warranty or not that many issues I'd be making plans to replace it at some point but not just a rash I'm tired of this crap decision. Like Xrsman suggested, wait till the 2017's come out and make a decision based on that and get either a 2016 or 2017 with a full extended factory warranty, its cheaper in the long run with less loop holes than many of them 3rd party hassles

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
The powertrain warranty is there, but your right, the bumper to bumper is gone at 3/36. If you KNOW your not going to keep it, call and cancel the extended warranty. You will get them to pay your bank for a portion of that, and will pay down the note some IF you sell or trade in. Get that done first.

RJP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just from the sound of your first post seems like your mind has been made to move on. Person should always follow their gut on these things, Everyone has different tolerances to dealing with mechanical issues and dealers.

Best of luck...

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Everyone, thank you for very thoughtful feedback and advise.

Maybe whoever is good with Math, can help me make a numbers decision here...

As few of you mentioned, it comes down to finances... I just think that i'm going to loose a LOT of money on this truck if i were to sell it... which hurts.

Truck out of door cost me $46k, I still owe $13k to pay off the truck. KBB says i can sell it for up to $28k to private party (high estimate). I've been paying $450 per month for the truck for last 2 years at 4.3% apr.

I can hopefully return the Century Comprehensive warranty and get $2k back from it (bought it for $2700 originally - 8 years/120k miles warranty - reviews for this 3rd party warranty are Horrible..

I also bought ARE DCU camper shell for $4k, two way alarm $1k.

After i sell it, i will have about $13k left for the down payment for a new truck... which is not that much, and my monthly payments will likely go up higher than it is now (which sucks but not end of the world).

So, i invested a LOT into it, was definitely ripped off at the dealership big time, but was hoping to get some of that money back and use the truck for many years. It would really suck to have to pay More money for a new truck which will give me same utility as this truck... so i'll have to pay more for same thing which supposed to work already.

Any thoughts? Thank You.

thoss29

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 3500 "Black Top" Edition 6.4L
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Everyone,

I have a 2013 1500 Big Horn QC 5.9 4x4, 8 speed, with 36k miles (warranty just ran out). I do have 3rd party bs extended warranty (not Chrysler one) up to 8 years 150k, but i've heard bad things about this company...

I always took great care of my truck - RedLine oil, catch can, never racing it

Issues i had so far over last 2 years:

1. Truck made weird noises during acceleration - was traced to some loose metal cable under truck - fixed

2. Loud Knocking noises - Manifold bolts replaced, Rocker arm assembly replaced, one of lifters replaced.

3. Check Engine light up at 35k miles, was traced to cylinder misfire, some residue under spark plugs, and to failing fuel injector (injector getting replaced now).

4. During last 10k miles, i also keep hearing some weird random grinding noise during moderate acceleration. Wasn't able to get dealer to notice that one, and honestly didn't had any more energy or time to deal with these constant issues. Not sure if this noise a big deal or not... hope it may be covered under powertrain warranty anyway.

Does this sound like too many issues, and should i consider selling the truck?

I love my truck, but if i were to think Clearly , and Objectively if the truck has this many random BS issues during the first 2 years of ownership, then even more **** can break as it gets older?

Thank You - any feedback is appreciated!

I can't help with math and numbers but on the weird "grinding" during acceleration; does it sound like engine or drive train? I'm wondering if you're describing detonation. Have you tried higher octane fuel or an octane booster and if so does the noise go away? Just a thought. Now I will let you get back to your math! Haha

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
well I paid $33k out the door on my 2015 Bighorn CC, if you put $13k down, that's a new truck for $20k.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well I can honestly tell you that the folks around here DON'T have 13K to put down on a truck. The average truck payment around here is $650 and that's on a $37,000 vehicle. We all know that vehicles are thee worst investment, which is why when things go wrong, it hits us the hardest. If you are lucky enough to get an extra $13K, I say buy a 2015 leftover and enjoy. :)

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah man $13K down is a lot! I would definitely be looking at getting something else. Also, IMO, if a new dwesign is coming out for 2017, I woud not purchase until the 2018 models come out. I don't like buying first year models, but that's just me.

You should NOT have this many issues with as few miles as you have. I ran my 2010 to 125K without issue. My 2014 just rolled 50K, and again, no issues.

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've got 151,000 on my 2011 with nothing wrong so far. :)

rob2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never understand why people would want to give any down payment on a car. Here is my advice, keep the 13k in your pockets, finance the new truck and tell them you are not getting anything more than a 3.5 APR (or just do your own financing with your bank which is even better). I'd rather pay 640/month and have 13k on my account, than 400 and give them the cash. That's what I did on mine anyway, no $ down, financed 41k and pay 640 a month.

Try getting a good deal on a 16 and dump it, I too got scammed with a Kornerstone warranty which I cancelled last week, let's see how long before they pay back to the bank, mine was $1900. He got me by telling me he would give me a better interest rate if I bought the warranty, what a ************* they are.