Need advise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So I got offered a great deal and I wanted to pass it by you guys..

I can keep my same payment and trade in my 2014 6spd QC express 1500 with Ramcharger package (20inc chrome clads, wheel to wheel running boards, sport hood, and receiver) for a 2014 crew cab black out edition with an 8 speed. it has 19k less miles than my truck.

Basically its the deal of a life time but I love my Ramcharger package my truck looks sick, and its mine since new, i pulled the plastic off of it and everything so its like a bond thing.. The blackouts are really nice. and I may add that the 8speed alone is whats making up my mind when I originally just wanted a crew cab.

I want to know what you guys would do. remember this is a like for like swap money wise. its all about the 2 trucks and how they compare. are there any gripes about the 8 speed, or the black out edition? Im having a kid next month and I could really use the crew cab..

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
personally i'd do it just for the 8 speed. aside from the clunk which may or may not go away i haven't really heard of any issues with it. going from a 2011 silverado 4 speed the 8 speed single handedly sold me on the truck and now a year later i love it just as much as day 1

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd do it just to get the CC!

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
8 speed+crew cab+blackout edition, id do it

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I hate to be this guy but it's not even money. Your starting a loan over the down payment the payments you already have made are gone start over, unless your keeping the same amount of months than its even money.

Now that that's out of the way the 2 options I regret not getting is the 8 speed and a crew cab, congrats on the baby, mine was born 3 weeks ago. The back seat on the quad is super tight and the only car seat I have found to fit is a convertible seat in the middle. If the money doesn't bother you I would go for it just to get the crew cab. Good luck.

I also included a pic of the seat in my truck for refrence, the seats with the lock in bases don't fit because the hang off the center seat by 30% and your "safely" aloud 20. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 108
OP
OP
Jmhm17

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
IT HAS 3.92's too. it was very very pepy. I had to relearn how to drive it as i was so used to the 6spd. sounds like its a no brainier

Im just going to miss my sport hood :(

OP
OP
Jmhm17

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Congrats on the kid! wow thanks for the pic. I have the graco keyfit system, and from the looks of this pic its not going to fit in my QC..

As for the money, yeah im starting the loan over, but its only a year, and i dont care as this truck is basically brand new. one more year wont be a worry to me.

Last edited:

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Congrats on the kid! wow thanks for the pic. I have the graco keyfit system, and from the looks of this pic its not going to fit in my QC..

As for the money, yeah im starting the loan over, but its only a year, and i dont care as this truck is basically brand new. one more year wont be a worry to me.

I'd do it. I recently bought a new Chrysler 300 V6 - mid trim, figured I'd settle even though I could afford the top trim Hemi comfortably.

Well 8 days in, I took it back and got the loaded Hemi, sure it cost 2 grand more but I'm happy as f*ck and probably gonna keep it for 6+ years.

If you can afford it, do it. You'll be happy, with spacious comfort and 8 speed's mileage to boot.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So what's your payment run on that. That's only way to tell if you got a good deal.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
8 spd+ little one on the way+ crew cab + same payments and payoff date= no brainer.

Once you get into a crew cab with kids, I can bet you my next paycheck you'll never go back until they are grown and out of the house- even then it's debatable.

OP
OP
Jmhm17

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for the replies guys. Whats this clunk you were talking about? Also i noticed the trans was noisy in the first few gears kind of a faint whirling wind sound they said it was normal. This is the first 8spd i have driven. It performed well so i had no other reason to think otherwise. Is this normal or should i have them look at it?

DTarve23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do it ....... the room for your kid is the most important thing. I would not feel comfortable putting a new born car seat in the middle between the front seats. If something did happen (god forbid) I would think it would be better for them to hit the back of a seat then to fly forward into the dash if the seatbelt or car seat itself failed ( not trying to be dramatic but anything can happen)........ the eight speed is a bonus :favorites13:

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I'd do it man! Crew cabs have room for days in the back seat! Lol plus the 8 speed is unreal. If it only adds 1 year to your payment schedule at the same payment, I'd do it

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Do it ....... the room for your kid is the most important thing. I would not feel comfortable putting a new born car seat in the middle between the front seats. If something did happen (god forbid) I would think it would be better for them to hit the back of a seat then to fly forward into the dash if the seatbelt or car seat itself failed ( not trying to be dramatic but anything can happen)........ the eight speed is a bonus :favorites13:

The center is the safest place for a car seat. If you install your car seat properly it won't go anywhere and buckle them in properly the center is the safest place. Imagne getting T-boned by someone and it being on the side they are on.

OP
OP
Jmhm17

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
^^ yeah once you do all this baby research you find stuff like this out. the idea is to create an air gap before anything hits the child. For instance if you get T Boned like he stated above you have to worry about the door, glass, airbag, and possibly the other car hitting the kid. so the best buffer is the middle seat. This is all worst case scenario and a guideline of course (for one kid). the way things are today with safety and kids is crazy overkill but to piggyback off of what 14hemi said he's right, it is the safest place.

Anyways whats up with the trans making that noise I described?

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine makes the same noise with a little clattering and rattling. It's aluminum and plastic around rapidly spinning parts. It's not going to be quiet :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

QwikKota

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If it weren't for the kid on the way I would say keep the existing truck but even with the crew cab a big **** car seat is still tight behind the seats if you are over 6'. The QC makes it very hard to put kids back there, go figure.

If you have two kids there is no air gap so kind of a moot point.

My 2015 tranny is very quiet, no clunk unless I am in 2nd and floor it, and it's more of a shift than a clunk. You should only really hear engine noise and the shifts should be smooth with a warm tranny.

OP
OP
Jmhm17

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
it shifted very smooth and fast, come to think of it I didn't notice the noise after it warmed up.. Probably the best auto transmision I have ever driven tho, its almost like a standard, it does what you want it to do. Since I have basically the same truck i was not side tracked with the feeling of driving the truck, and that "newness" feeling you get when you test drive, I could focus on the trans. I will say my quad cab feels a bit stiffer but that could be in my head.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Yea 8spds have a whine before they're warm. It's really noticeable in winter. Sounds like an old Muncie. But nothing to worry about.

14MDRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck for truck its a no brainier IMO. The question comes in when you look at the money. Did you put downpayment on your first truck? How much are your monthly payments? That's what you have to look at. Salesman always pull the per month payment trick to avoid you looking at the actual numbers.