Need some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iczer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram Black Express
Engine
Bought my truck around May, can't remember at this exact second. Well I loved everything about it, so I bought it. Fast forward to the last month or so. It seems MDS has just gotten worse. Normal cruising, any time I need to accelerate I feel the truck stutter as it tries to shift or do whatever it is that happens. Is this seriously normal? I've been in the habit lately of just manually setting it to 8th gear and it actually drives nice. Albeit gas mileage won't be as good as it can be.

I took it in before and had a tech ride with me and he said it was normal. It feels like it's gotten worse since then. Should I go back in or just accept it?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Never Accept

Never accept anything less than what you expect.

If your truck is not performing, as you think it should, then either have them fix the truck or drive enough others, on used car lots, to know yours is performing as it should.

Cheers,
Dave

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I wouldn't accept it either, although mds is annoying I really wish we had the option to turn it off for good with out a tuner. I beleive the 8 speed had a really advanced learning mode. You could try restting you computer and let it re learn maybe it just got in a lazy habit some how. The driveline works together to kick in and out mds it could be transmission/pcm related.

Statcher1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 6spd has done it since I bought it. It's like there's a slight hesitation/shutter before it kicks in all 8cyl. My moms 6.4SRT 300 does the same thing.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
My 6spd has done it since I bought it. It's like there's a slight hesitation/shutter before it kicks in all 8cyl. My moms 6.4SRT 300 does the same thing.

Sent from the Rocket in my Pocket

Mine does it to drive me insane! But it's really not to bad and has done it sense day 1.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm coming out of a diesel so I've actually been pleased with the response but there is a bit of a delay. The main thing in your post that is concerning is that it is getting worse. If it's changing there is something wrong. Normally, I'd expect a code or error message though so it's hard to say.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm in the same boat. MDS has been getting more aggressive, so I am at the point that I am going to buy a tuner to shut it down. It can be good somedays, and other days really sketchy.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hit the gear button on the steering wheel. Where it shows what gear your in on the evic. Drive it like that and see if you can tell a difference.

OP
OP
I

Iczer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram Black Express
Engine
Hit the gear button on the steering wheel. Where it shows what gear your in on the evic. Drive it like that and see if you can tell a difference.

I do that and it runs perfect

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
There is always some studder with mds it depends on how hard you are paying attention to it if you knowtice or not. That is perfectly normal but if it's getting worse that's not right it should always be the same.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There is always some studder with mds it depends on how hard you are paying attention to it if you knowtice or not. That is perfectly normal but if it's getting worse that's not right it should always be the same.

Ya if you have the 6 speed you can't do anything about the mds . Without getting a tuner

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Ya if you have the 6 speed you can't do anything about the mds . Without getting a tuner

I can put it in 6th or use tow haul it'll shut it off. i never find It to be that bad. I can under stand the op's complaint.

13Ram1500EXP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bought my truck around May, can't remember at this exact second. Well I loved everything about it, so I bought it. Fast forward to the last month or so. It seems MDS has just gotten worse. Normal cruising, any time I need to accelerate I feel the truck stutter as it tries to shift or do whatever it is that happens. Is this seriously normal? I've been in the habit lately of just manually setting it to 8th gear and it actually drives nice. Albeit gas mileage won't be as good as it can be.

I took it in before and had a tech ride with me and he said it was normal. It feels like it's gotten worse since then. Should I go back in or just accept it?

I am right there with you man!!! I have the 6 speed and it seems that my MDS is getting worse also. I hate the MDS and as a result would at this time vow to stay away from RAM in the future. (especially having only ever owned Fords) It is ludicrous in my mind why they would ever develop something that would require the purchase of a 600.00 tuner to disable a supposed positive feature of the vehicle in order to make the truck run "normal". Also everyone says to manually shift to 6th on the stick or use the tow/haul button. That in my mind is nonsense. I did not pay 35G to own a truck that runs like this Ram does. Sorry to vent but it really is crazy!!!