Need some exhaust help... please be patient

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking for something that will roar when I cold start but that is tolerable when I'm on the highway. Also something that won't get me banned from the neighborhood BBQ lol
Take a look at flowmaster outlaw direct fit muffler. I have one it sounds good and not wake your neighbors loud

Pears

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with a Total Flow, two chamber muffler. Direct fit, easy to do yourself and is $136 on their website. Nice cold start rumble and overall sound. If the neighbors complain, it's because they're jealous.

FLMetalHead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The Solo Mach40 is a very nice option for a muffler kit that will add some sound but not make the neighbors angry

The MBRP and Magnaflow is another great option. It is louder than the Mach40 but is still very tolerable.

If you would like a quote on any of these please message me your address or available US address for an accurate quote.
What are the big differences between the MBRP and the Magnaflow? The MBRP seems louder from the videos I've seen, but it's very hard to tell.

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
Hello everyone,

I'm sure some eyes will roll and people might tear me a new one for this but here goes lol

I have a 2018 ram rebel 5.7

I'm just now learning about mods and I need some help when it comes to exhaust systems. Can someone please dumb it down a bit for me? I would like to switch things up in order to hear the roar of the v8.

I'm thinking ideally I would do a cat back system but I've also read that a cost friendly option could be as simple as changing out the muffler. I know that I can hear the sounds on youtube but i'm wondering what to look for when I shop for a muffler? What makes one better then others other then the way it sounds?

What size would I be looking for? 3 inch in and 2.5inch out? Where can I find the info for my truck?

Thank you to anyone who has the patience to read through this and wants to offer some help.
What you are looking for is something like the factory system on scat packs, with a baffle that automatically opens at start and when you floor it but closes a little while driving. There is no aftermarket system that does that outside of a manually operated cutout.

catback will give you more rumble for sure. I recommend the borla system. Costs a little more but sounds sweet. I put one on my 2006 Viper.

size wise, stick with what is on the system in front of the cats. You are not going to get anything, sound or power, putting bigger tubes behind the cats. Just money for nothing. 3" would be good for a 500hp beast. 2.5 is more than enough for a 5.7, even with a cam. But even if you decide on bigger, the only gains you will get are what you put in front of the cats from the manifolds. Dodge did not leave much of anything on the table. The aftermarket is only "different", not better.

About mods. The ONLY place a cold air intake gets more power is on a dyno with a shop fan blowing on the engine. The factory system pulls air from the fender well, not the engine compartment. A CAI pulls it from the heated engine compartment. Dodge put an air system on the truck that is capable of providing 100 percent of the engines needs under any operating condition even of the filter is dirty and partially restricted. Again, "different" not better.

Cams, headers. Tuning nightmare. You will end up logging and sending the results to HemiFeaver back and forth for months trying to get it fine tuned. Canned tunes will get it running but air temperature, exhaust, air fuel mixture all depend on your location and driving habits. Months. Canned tunes are only the begining. If you like driving your truck more than working on it, leave it alone.

Tunes. Everything affects the air/fuel mixture. There is no canned tune that will do anything but get the engine running at a base level. I do not care what they claim. It is a lie. I have tuned enough GM engines to tell you, it is a lie. And the most accessible place to get it done is HemiFever. Why? Because dodge changed their computers and tuning on cars a lot. Sometimes mid year. Even the dealer can not flash the correct tune back on your car unless they have the vin and it is 100 percent origonal. If you modify anything on the engine, even the dealer can not help you if you mess it up. You are screwed. And unless whoever is doing the tune has the correct software for your particular engine, off to HemiFever it goes and months of logging and flashing to get it right. And they have to guess because of temperature and your driving habits and whatever aftermarket parts you put on the car.

So, if you like driving your Ram, LEAVE IT ALONE. If it is a toy you want to play with in your spare time and have something else to drive, have at it. But make no mistake, it will stop being dependable transportation the moment you start messing with it. And consider this. The Dodge Demon. There is no way any aftermarket company is ever going to do as good of a job squeezing power out of a Hemi than Dodge. "Different" is not better. And most of the time ends up being stupid.

DCD5907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have ARH 1 3/4” long tubes with high flow cats, magnaflow 18” and everything else is stock. The sound is very nice, outside the truck its loud, i can hear the truck go and return from a block away, cold start its pure sex as the rumble is what hemi dreams are made of. Inside the truck, when i just had the 18” muffler it would drone very badly, but once i installed the headers the drone disappeared.
I will say as far as reliability, spark plugs came out after 40k miles of this setup looking like a beautiful toasted marshmallow, gas mileage is about 21 pure highway or 16 combined. Luckily the truck has been very reliable over its 130k mile life.

Stever68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had a local muffler shop swap out my stock muffler for a flow master. I can hear the truck a lot better and do not get a lot of drone on the highway

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Hello everyone,

I'm sure some eyes will roll and people might tear me a new one for this but here goes lol

I have a 2018 ram rebel 5.7

I'm just now learning about mods and I need some help when it comes to exhaust systems. Can someone please dumb it down a bit for me? I would like to switch things up in order to hear the roar of the v8.

I'm thinking ideally I would do a cat back system but I've also read that a cost friendly option could be as simple as changing out the muffler. I know that I can hear the sounds on youtube but i'm wondering what to look for when I shop for a muffler? What makes one better then others other then the way it sounds?

What size would I be looking for? 3 inch in and 2.5inch out? Where can I find the info for my truck?

Thank you to anyone who has the patience to read through this and wants to offer some help.
If you have any warranty left it will void it!

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it has the rear silencers , you could remove them. If you do muffler look for one with SS packing. I have a magnaflow with high miles. Its packing has blown out. It’s 2.5 in/out dual. The shop that installed it. Had burned down. So magnaflow would Not honor their (MF)lifetime warranty . I always liked 3 chamber flowmaster , because they had no packing to blow out. The I hate the neighbor’s 3000. Would be aeroturbine. Horrible drone on those. I believe Gibson has a cat back bolt on .

djhartm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnaflow is best of both ......sounds great and no drone
Beg to differ; with LT's the drone with the Magnaflow cat-back system is insufferable. Even with a J-pipe.

With stock headers, they're probably fine though.

Coosawjack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

'Nuf said!!;)

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I run a Gibson Super Truck SS cat back on my 2007 truck, 5.7L HEMI, that is 100% stainless steel. I installed it in 2014, still like new. It exits in front of the right rear tire, & has twin rectangular chrome tips. It's 3" in with twin 2 1/4" exit pipes. See photos, includes all mounts and clamps. This exhaust has a medium tone at idle and cruising, but is loud when the pedal hits the floor.

g2766551_is.jpg

IMG_0469.JPG

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have seen a few recommendations of chambered mufflers. I highly recommend against them. They have been shown by 3rd party testing to actually lose a little HP, not gain it. Also chambered style is more susceptible to drone. Not to mention the brand that normally uses chambered mufflers use aluminized steel which wont last long term.

While of course I would love for everyone to buy through us please check with me before you purchase elsewhere. We can at least help you not make a bad decision to save a couple bucks. If you buy elsewhere that is fine, I just hate seeing people spending money twice.

Last edited:

Acat96

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had MBRP 304 Cat Back on my 2019 Ram Classic crew cab.
Sounded fantastic, great cold start, sounded nice through town and on the highway.
Until I hooked up the trailer,, it was a little too loud for towing.
But if you're not towing ,, This may be the way to go

Just make sure you get a decent exhaust,, There is allot of crap out there for a cheaper price,, Last thing ya want to be doing is changing it every few years because of rot.

SouthernBornRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Carven Competitor........... or do muffler delete...... and go with 5" tips

For those days you really want the sound......

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Magna flow d fit resonator delete 6.4 hemi in a 2015 pw. Sounds to me if you are going to do it yourself find an easy install if you want/need something different then you pay. The d fit was my first choice because of the ease of install and price and it sounds good to me. Scares small kids and old people lol. Loud when you get on it but livable when (normal driving???!). On a2015 pw has a resonator kinda hung down behind the wheel it’s gone

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Unless you’re going to farm out the work try to keep it simple. A d fit from a good mfg is the best way to go. I don’t know about your truck but when I changed my muffler the truck lost about 15 pounds