New ram owner questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jb7054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In the process of buying a 2013 ram black out tradesman. 5.7. 34,000 miles. From the outside it's one of the nicest trucks on the lot. The lack of features on the inside took me by surprise the minute I reached for the power seat adjustment. The dealer told me it had the 8 speed tranny but I'm starting to doubt it. I know about all there is when it comes to jeeps but rams are a little out of my wheel house. Is this truck worth it for $25,000. Or am I better off sacrificing miles for some basic luxury. I like the stealth look but it Seems like the nicest looking bottom of the barrel truck I've ever seen. Any other downsides to the tradesman I should know about?

Razorbackfan

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I paid 28k for a brand new '14 outdoorsman. That seems a bit pricey. The 8spd is easy as it's a knob on the dash and no gear lever on the column.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the tradesman trim is the cheapest lowest trim for Ram. It sounds like your looking at an express package which it's still an St but with the beefed up exterior but I agree interior is just too basic.

I think the truck your looking at is alittle over priced due to the year in my area you can get a new one for around that price. I don't think you need to sacrifice mileage depending again of your area you can spend a couple more thousand dollars and buy an SLT trim with a big horn package, that should give you more luxury but again it's all up to you in what you really want and what you are looking for in specific.

One tip if your already doubting it don't buy it. Buy something your satisfied with.
I personally bought a tradesman/express, one year later I had to upgrade to the big horn lol so I know were you stand

Good luck

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you're worried about that kind of thing, get the interior optioned as you want it regardless of exterior appearance packages. Much easier to mod the outside than add power seats, etc to the interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jb7054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. It's used. I can't choose the options. It's a column shifter so 6 speed I guess. The jeep Im replacing is loaded to the gills so it wont be a fun transition. I'm buying in NY. Problem I'm having is everyone, dealer or private, wants way over blue book. They're asking 28-30,000 for trucks that Blue book at 22-23. What I should get for the money and what I can get are two different things. I'll probably keep looking. Thanks again

Attachments

• image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 76

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That's too high, find a big horn or above trim. 2014 first truck I looked at was a express. I like you looked for the power seat. Looked good from outside
But for me it would of been down grading.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks. It's used. I can't choose the options. It's a column shifter so 6 speed I guess. The jeep Im replacing is loaded to the gills so it wont be a fun transition. I'm buying in NY. Problem I'm having is everyone, dealer or private, wants way over blue book. They're asking 28-30,000 for trucks that Blue book at 22-23. What I should get for the money and what I can get are two different things. I'll probably keep looking. Thanks again

I just picked up a 2012 tradesmen express, paint matched bumpers, a bunch of interior features etc for $16.1k before trade in and discounts. It only has 32k miles on it. Not including my trade in value, after I haggle and worked with them I got it for $14.9k and it's KBB was $19.9k and NADA was $20k so I got a killer deal. What I'm trying to say is keep looking around and you can find a WAY better deal.

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Two good examples on this thread of why KBB and NADA guides are just that. Guides. Laws of supply and demand are where it's at. These dealers know what they can get for a vehicle. It's up to the consumer to find the deal that they are comfortable with.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In 2014 I bought a 14 Express with the Black Express package cause I really liked the look. It has the 5.0 Radio and steering wheel controls with the 6 speed tranny. I have not regretted it. Power seats is the last thing on my mind. Once I have my seat set for my comfort I never change it.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Keep looking....the dealer already lied to you once about the transmission.....are you gonna give him a chance to lie again ??

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
When I purchased my new Ram I had the same dilemma, only mine was with new trucks. Long story. I really wanted the Sport Ram in black, but the price was almost 60K ( so that wasn't happening). I loved the look of the blacked out Express, but the interior wasn't as nice as the Big Horn or Sport. I finally found the OutDoorsman it has the interior I wanted (Big Horn interior) and all black. The only thing I didn't get blacked out on my OutDoorsman were the front and rear bumper and headlights, but I figured with a little work I can change those things over time. And the OutDoorsman mad much cheaper then the Sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jb7054

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was thinking the outdoorsman might be a good balance of price and features.Part of the problem is im in NY. We pay more for everything. $25,000 is at the top of where I wanna be. This dealer also has a big horn crew cab in the same price range but 82,000 miles is more that I can leave happy with. Just gonna hold off for now. Thanks for the input

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I paid 32k for my 14 Sport a few months back. Mine is 4wd, crew cab, 6.5 bed. Loaded to the gills. When I say loaded, I mean even down to factory wheel locks.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
dont give up your loaded jeep to a base truck. you will never be happy. also, you may want to wait till after winter to buy a 4x4 truck.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What he said ^^^^^^, don't go backwards. If you got in it looking for a power seat and it wasn't there move on. I hadn't had one without power seat since 99 silverado. Now both vehicles have the memory seat. Now I don't care if the wife drives it.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
try looking outside your state. I live in Nevada and our prices are about the same as your's i just say my same truck in Utah for 5,000 less. Good idea to keep looking and once you know a dealer has lied, call them out on it and if they throw you more B.S. turn and walk. let them work for you dont let them work you.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I think it's a little high. The dealer I traded my 2015 1500 Express to, now has it on the lot for $27K with 28K miles. I firmly believe that anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If you like the truck, make them an offer. What's the worst they can say? No? The just keep looking, if they think you are interested, they'll find a way to sale you the truck. Their asking price is just a place to start negotiations.

JQ3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm in NC and I drove 2 hours to a small town that beat the price in my city by about $6000. This was a new 2016 Sport 4x4.

Is this an option in NY?