Newcomer, Picking up first RAM tomorrow.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey all.

To keep it short, I've been a jeep guy fro the past 8 years and will be trading in my 2011 wrangler unlimited for a 2015 ram 1500 express crew cab. I've wanted a truck for years now but it wasn't possible at the time.

This is the truck I will be purchasing.
Certified Pre Owned 2015 Ram 1500 for Sale | Serving Massapequa

I just had a few questions before they hand me the keys.

As much as I would love a new one, I can't afford $40,000 right now.

So I went to a few different dealers, and none would budge on the price at all of a certified pre owned ram 1500. Is this normal? I've never once walked into a dealership and agreed to the sticker price, but I also have never bought used before. I ended up going with the dealership that offered me the most for my jeep, ($14,500) and got them to throw in factory remote start as well.

Truecar claims its a great price for the vehicle but I never bought certified pre owned. Is it even worthwhile?

Regrettably I saw and test drove the truck in the rain. But from what I could tell the entire truck was extremely clean and they are of course detailing it prior to my arrival. I did not look under the hood yet due to the rain.

What should I look for in particular before I pull it off the lot?

Is there any accessories that are absolutely must haves right away? I'm buying the truck outright, another thing I did not plan to do but circumstances are somewhat requiring it so there isn't too much room for extras.

Thanks in advance, hope to be frequenting the forum.

cbooher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i bought the exact truck in black. good price for what you are getting. the only thing i would say you would need right away is running boards unless you don't want them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome color choice!! De-badge that sucker when you get it!!

Great choice!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When you get the chance I'd suggest:

1. Read the Certified Used program literature provided. You can get it from the dealer or Ram's website. Understand what you get with certified used vehicles.

2. I've not heard of a dealer not negotiating a price on any vehicle, new, certified used or used unless it's a brand new model in high demand.

3. If they threw in the remote start then they did give up something but, as we all know, dealer's are in business to make money so they didn't hurt their bottom line with that deal.

4. Before you take delivery, drive the vehicle and get it good and warm. Then inspect the vehicle carefully and ask for a CarFax report. Check for leaks, body damage, panel fit, etc.... Crawl under the truck, or have them put it on a lift, and inspect the suspension, boxes etc...for any leaks or damage. Make sure all the accessories, lights, power options, etc...work before you leave. It might help if you go to the interwebs and find a used vehicle inspection form to use for this visit.

5. For accessories I like cbooher's suggestion. One other thing I'd do is a spray in bedliner. If you are going to use this vehicle as a truck and haul things, bedliners really preserve the bed paint, preventing rust.

Good luck with the new truck.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thanks for the suggestions.

I didn't try to haggle beyond the remote start, I should of asked for floor mats too but didnt think of it. This dealer offered me $500 more than the other dealer for my jeep, and the one before that was only $13,000. Kind of regret not trying for the price but I went to so many dealers I was exhausted.

The truck comes with the factory bedliner already so that saves me a trip to Line-x.

As far as running boards, I looked and really didn't see much I liked. I am used to the rock slider style steps on my jeep which GREATLY protected me over the years from people opening their doors into my jeep. I think I am just going to pick up some 1.5" square tube and fabricate my own armored steps. (I own a small fabrication business on the side)

Awesome color choice!! De-badge that sucker when you get it!!

Great choice!

Thanks! I saw this one online and I really wanted a backup camera. It wasn't listed in the add but I went to see it anyway and it ended up having one and I loved the color in person.

I'm closing on a house march 16th so I can't take a loan and they wouldn't hold it for more than 72 hours. So thats why I am buying it outright to not lose out on the exact truck I wanted.

I was between this one, and a granite color one with all the same options and 24,000 miles plus the tow package (that I don't need) for $27,450 and no remote start. So I guess between the two I broke even on the remote start vs tow mirrors/brake. I will probably never need to tow anything, certainly not with brakes.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the suggestions.

I didn't try to haggle beyond the remote start, I should of asked for floor mats too but didnt think of it. This dealer offered me $500 more than the other dealer for my jeep, and the one before that was only $13,000. Kind of regret not trying for the price but I went to so many dealers I was exhausted.

The truck comes with the factory bedliner already so that saves me a trip to Line-x.

As far as running boards, I looked and really didn't see much I liked. I am used to the rock slider style steps on my jeep which GREATLY protected me over the years from people opening their doors into my jeep. I think I am just going to pick up some 1.5" square tube and fabricate my own armored steps. (I own a small fabrication business on the side)

Thanks! I saw this one online and I really wanted a backup camera. It wasn't listed in the add but I went to see it anyway and it ended up having one and I loved the color in person.

I'm closing on a house march 16th so I can't take a loan and they wouldn't hold it for more than 72 hours. So thats why I am buying it outright to not lose out on the exact truck I wanted.

I was between this one, and a granite color one with all the same options and 24,000 miles plus the tow package (that I don't need) for $27,450 and no remote start. So I guess between the two I broke even on the remote start vs tow mirrors/brake. I will probably never need to tow anything, certainly not with brakes.

27450 seems high for a used unless its more loaded, or maybe the diff between quad and crew. I just got a new 4x4 2017 Express Hemi quad, 8 speed, with 5.0 Uconnect, tow package, the painted bumpers appearance package, for $28,000. So far have only added a mopar bed rug, and tinted the windows darker and matched the fronts, and weathertechs.

I checked with 5 other dealers and was willing to fly and drive and nobody was touching that price though. Everyone else was at least 30k

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
27450 seems high for a used unless its more loaded, or maybe the diff between quad and crew. I just got a new 4x4 2017 Express Hemi quad, 8 speed, with 5.0 Uconnect, tow package, the painted bumpers appearance package, for $28,000. So far have only added a mopar bed rug, and tinted the windows darker and matched the fronts, and weathertechs.

I checked with 5 other dealers and was willing to fly and drive and nobody was touching that price though. Everyone else was at least 30k

WOW. How did you pull that price off?

I am also in NYC region, everything here is top dollar. Co-worker just bought an express v6 with crew cab and ram boxes it cost him $39,000 new.

What I am getting for $27,500 is

Crew cab hemi V8 express
uconnect 3.0
satellite radio
rear camera
remote start
bedliner
trailer hitch

Thats about it i think. How in gods name did you get a new V8 for under $30,000 is insane even in crew. On edmunds when I priced out the crew cab v8, the invoice price was around $41,000 for the same truck I am buying used?

Jetsfan122

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express Crew Cab White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's a great looking truck. I bought mine from Security Dodge as well last April. And the 3rd consecutive vehicle Ive purchased there.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
WOW. How did you pull that price off?

I am also in NYC region, everything here is top dollar. Co-worker just bought an express v6 with crew cab and ram boxes it cost him $39,000 new.

What I am getting for $27,500 is

Crew cab hemi V8 express
uconnect 3.0
satellite radio
rear camera
remote start
bedliner
trailer hitch

Thats about it i think. How in gods name did you get a new V8 for under $30,000 is insane even in crew. On edmunds when I priced out the crew cab v8, the invoice price was around $41,000 for the same truck I am buying used?

Maybe that is the difference. I'm in Boise Idaho where cost of living is pretty low. Plus Ram is pretty popular here. I probably see more Rams than Chevy/GM.

Dealer had like over 12k in rebates. But like I said nobody else was touching that price. I called Dave Smith which is supposedly the worlds largest Ram dealer in north Idaho and they wanted 34k minimum after claiming best prices. For the same truck

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That's a great looking truck. I bought mine from Security Dodge as well last April. And the 3rd consecutive vehicle Ive purchased there.

A friend recommended I check them out and use the salesmen he did. They were by far the most professional and up front on all aspects.

I regret not trying to get the price down more, and then tell them to add remote start but all the 2014/15 rams around the island seem priced from $26,000-29,000 in the express unless it has high mileage.

They only have my $500 deposit which is refundable but it would be a ****** move to try and negotiate after I told them we had a deal.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally i would look else where. if you can get new for not much more its worth the travel.

express quads near me go for under 30k all day, hell big horn CC for for 30-34k usually

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Personally i would look else where. if you can get new for not much more its worth the travel.

express quads near me go for under 30k all day, hell big horn CC for for 30-34k usually

What are the sticker prices on those by you? Sticker price on a big horn is about $50,000 here, for reference sake.

If it's a horrible deal I will gladly tell them forget it/renegotiate.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sticker price on a big horn is about $50,000 here, for reference sake.

Damn....for a Big Horn? So, they're selling them for more than you can price out on the Ram website? I didn't know the MSRP was jacked up depending on where you live. You should be still eligible for all of the rebates and credits for the area. I must be missing something.

I'm glad I live out in Western NY when it comes to buying a Ram. I got $13k off the sticker price, without even asking, for my 2016 Rebel Mopar 16.

jkhcurry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sticker on my big horn was close to 48k. Crew cab hemi 4x4. With most options. I got it for around 36-37k. I forget the exact number. The express tend to have less deals on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don't think the deal you are getting is horrible. New and used market are much different since there are no rebates on the used market plus the market where you are looking. I listed a link to a truck that is pretty much what you are looking at in Texas, new 2016 express crew 4x4 33960. I would figure you could probably get that one for around 30-31 before TTL.

New 2016 Ram 1500 Express For Sale in Houston, TX | 1C6RR7KT6GS401328 | Serving Baytown, Alvin & Webster, TX

When I priced out the truck new on edmunds, if I switch the zip code from NYC/Long Island to Houston Texas, it takes $2000 off the price :flame:

Problem is I am buying it outright, I don't have another $7,000 to throw down even if I got the same truck new for $35,000.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is the one thing i HATE about rams :

http://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=1C6RR7KT0FS544757

you had to pay for the express package which specifically DELETED The trailer hitch, then, you had to PAY for the trailer hitch.. lol, makes zero sense, good truck, I'd personally try to find a CPO with the bigger radio, and the 7 inch in dash, but this would suffice!

Aslo, as others have said, I can get an express 2015 with LOW miles for well under 30k, 25, 26k ( south texas area ). If you aren't getting it for 26k, I'd strongly look elsewhere, not only ust because of price, but because you can get a lot more truck for what you're looking to spend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This is a search of 30 miles for certified pre owned rams.
Everything seems to be more or at what I'm paying unless it has like 40,000 miles?

I'm not sure how much play they leave themselves in their markup? I'm sure it's healthy enough...

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?stkTypId=28881&stkTyp=U&tracktype=usedcc&cpoId=28444&cpo=Y&mkId=44763&AmbMkId=44763&AmbMkNm=RAM&make=RAM&AmbMdId=20277&AmbMdNm=1500&model=1500&mdId=20277&prMx=30000&rd=30&zc=11753&searchSource=QUICK_FORM

RDHemi16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you are doing alright if you are getting the truck you want as far as color, options, and what not. If you look around more, you may get a better deal but sacrifice color or other things you wanted. I missed out on 2 trucks trying to shop around and get the best deal. I also came from a Jeep Wrangler unlimited by the way. I loved the jeep but couldn't take the weak motor/ auto tranny combo the 2011 I had. The Hemi is where it's at. Good luck on the purchase.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I think you are doing alright if you are getting the truck you want as far as color, options, and what not. If you look around more, you may get a better deal but sacrifice color or other things you wanted. I missed out on 2 trucks trying to shop around and get the best deal. I also came from a Jeep Wrangler unlimited by the way. I loved the jeep but couldn't take the weak motor/ auto tranny combo the 2011 I had. The Hemi is where it's at. Good luck on the purchase.

I feel the same way about the jeep! Drives me nuts! If they made a standard hemi v8 jeep I'd be all over it. My friend has the 2012 motor and you can barely notice a power difference on that either.

Would it be a scumbag move to email the salesman and tell him after doing some more research im having second thoughts etc etc I really think we can do a little better on the price? I'm literally paying sticker price + remote start thrown in.

They did however offer me the most for my trade in.

One dealer was $14,000
another was $13,000 and "no dealer fees"
This one was $14,500.

I feel kinda bad to ask for something after we verbally agreed and I left a $500 refundable deposit, but at the same time I don't owe them anything and I will never see them again after this...