Picking up a 2015 Ram 3500 SRW with an Aisin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thoughts?

2015 Ram 3500 SRW
Aisin transmission
110k miles

The truck is super clean and has all of the service records since new. I'm well versed in the 6.7 Cummins with the 68RFE behind it but I have no experience with the Aisin. This is my 4th 4th gen Ram so I am well versed with those as well. Is there anything that I need to check with the Aisin? Any quirks, etc?

This combination around my area is pretty rare so I jumped at the opportunity. I stuck a deposit down this morning and will drive over to GA on Friday to pick it up (assuming it's what they say it is).

I'd appreciate any thoughts and feedback.

Bike_Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Congrats! I love my '18 HO. The Aisin is great imo. If you've ever driven a medium duty truck with an automatic it's a bit like that. Shifts are a bit slow but in gear it stays locked up and feels really solid. They manage heat well and tend to stay cool no matter what.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I don't have anything to really add but I agree with the others. I love the H.O. combo. Definitely do the filter and fluid change when you get it. I also use the Mobil 3309 ordered off of Amazon.
Some complain about the shifting but it is basically a commercial grade commercial truck trans and should be expected . I prefer the positive lockup over the slipping buttery smooth.

OP
OP
nlambert182

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I did go look at and drive the truck.... Sadly, things were not as they seemed in the pictures which is typically the case. The truck was a fantastic 20 footer. I found quite a few issues when I actually got there.

It needed a lot more work than anticipated to bring to my standards. I knew that it had been a commercial vehicle at some point in its life, but once I got there to see it, the body was littered with dents and dings, the undercarriage was still caked with gunk, the interior was quite stained and rough. It looked like it had been a construction truck. The shop had installed brand new 35" tires on it (which I really didn't like) and there was quite a bit of slop in the steering. All in all, it ran fine and shifted fine but for what I was going to pay it was too much.

I was a bit defeated considering the 3 hr drive to get it and was preparing to leave when my wife spotted a 2018 2500 megacab on the lot. I was a little hesitant but went over to look at it and let me tell you.... I was sold right away.

1 owner Texas truck.... ALL of the maintenance receipts were in the glovebox as well as on the carfax and all of the maintenance was done by the same shop. Oil had been changed every 5k miles on the dot. Trans fluid changed every 30k miles. I called that shop to inquire about the truck and was informed that the previous owner was one of the most meticulous people he had met with maintaining a truck. He told me that it was used primarily to haul large BBQ trailers across Texas to competitions.

No dings anywhere on the truck, interior is flawless, and it was like it was meant to be. So I bought it. I did get some bouncing on the way home, so I took it down to Discount Tire Saturday morning to find out that since he had purchased the tires from them in Texas the warranty and certificates transferred to me. Didn't cost me a penny to balance and rotate them. They also said that the guy has over 20 vehicles on his account and had spent close to $40k with them in the past 2 years on wheels and tires and that he was meticulous with having the rotates and balances done.

On a positive note... this thing got 22.5 mpg coming home from GA on I75. Not tuned or deleted. That was pretty impressive.

So.... here it is:
1698663566767.png

The ONLY issue that it has is that something was spilled on the exhaust brake button so it's a bit sticky. I can see something oozing out when I press it, so I need to get some electronics cleaner in it and try to clear it out. I believe the dealership did this when they were cleaning it up.

Last edited:

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does it smell like delicious BBQ? :D seriously though lovely truck, sounds like you really lucked out on that one! Better give your wife some extra lovin for spotting that!

OP
OP
nlambert182

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I wish it did!

So far I think I dodged a bullet with the other one and found a gem with this one.

It IS beginning to show signs of some screen wear (but no delamination yet)with the 8.4 uconnect, but I anticipated replacing it as soon as I saw that it was a 2018. If/when that happens it will be a quick fix.