Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rcjkilroy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I have a question I recently bought a 2011*ram*1500*4.7 with 71000 miles and as I drove it to GA from Ks on the highway when I put it on cruise control going up hill it will downshift and kick real hard also it seems like it's slipping when I put it in Drive when I took it to the local dealership to me they told me the kick was common I d k what to do anymore I haven't even made the first payment and I have the extended service warranty

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
take it to a diff dealer. or the one u purchased it from.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ok now that youre in the right place lol :)

I had a 2010 4.7 and it would downshift hard in cruise control frequently and especially worked it hard on a trip to florida from buffalo ny and back towing 4000lbs back. i had to keep my foot on the pedal most of the drive because i didnt like how hard it downshifted while in cc and didnt like the way the tranny acted in tow/haul mode so i only used it it the hills...

A couple weeks after i noticed a red spot in the driveway under my truck (which my parents had actually told me about it over a year prior but i did not believe them :stupidme: ) took it in to dealership under warranty...turns out the seals in the transmission were leaking namely the one nearest the shift selector and the transfercase was also leaking. It was totally fixed under warranty but it scared me right out of the truck..this was fixed at around 52xxx miles probably started leaking around 30k

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I found swapping from the crappy Mopar ATF+4, and getting a tune made shift quality MUCH MUCH better. I would add more MUCHs, but it would be silly how many I would need to add in order to quantify the difference.

Check your fluid levels though, and check the service history to see if it is still running on the factory fill fluid.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
(which my parents had actually told me about it over a year prior but i did not believe them :stupidme: )

We never do :roflsquared:

In all seriousness the kick wouldn't bother me the the feeling of slipping would. Do as previously stated check the level, see if you can find records of it has been done before, the color, and the smell of the fluid. The downshift kick won't hurt it would just be a Anoyance that's basically bad programing. Does your truck have a transmission temperature gauge? If it does keep a eye on it and report back with operations tempature and fluid level and smell.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I feel the only issue that truck would have ever had is that damn 545rfe (thats the only one i had with it anyway) i know the exact sensation he is talking about and my opinion is it has everything to do with **** programming (maybe needs a bigger cooler too) anytime i cruised it on long highway stretches i would take it off cruise going up hill or else it would kick then seemed to hunt for gear until i accelerated myself..then it would slip back to 5th...that kick from 5th to 2nd prime is annoying though it just doesnt feel good

Superchips flashpaq allows transmission tuning but never really decided on a tuner..from what i researched a tuner is the best performance mod for the 4.7 period

Last edited:

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would definitely have it checked out, the possible slipping in a hard kick with minimal throttle is not normal. That's the mileage I was at with two rams that lost transmissions

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk