RAM 2500 + 6.4L Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heywood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport
Engine
I read that. It's not that different and not from the ground up. That's also an old review. June 28 2013. Allpar does get it wrong sometimes. They write what they've been told.

Different Intake, fuel rails, and stainless steel gaskets do not make it different.

The 6.1's and 6.4's in the SRT's have oil jets, cast iron block and forged cranks. Also steel rods.

The 6.4 is based off of the 5.7. They both have Cylinder deactivation (MDS). Same as the cars. Also VVT. The 6.4's (392) can only be punched to 404 or 410 cid, why, because it's based on the 5.7 block and there's no more room.

I know what you've read, but it's not much different and not designed ground up. Take it with a grain of salt. Go to the Charger/Challenger forums and try to find how much difference there is. The 392's (6.4's) have been there since 2011. I'm sure you'll agree with me that they're very much the same engine.

Ram/Dodge doesn't have that much capital to get multiple motors CARB certified. Less now that Fix It Again Tony is holding the purse strings.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slagging the engine. It's a great engine. I just think they sandbagged the Hp/Tq. They dove into the parts bin and adapted it for the truck.

powerwagonbeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Love the 6.4!!!

This is my third Ram, had a 1500, and 3500 diesel, and this 2500 I just bought is a truck and race car all in one.

Basically I got a power wagon w/o the winch and disconnect sway bar for 15k less.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is my third Ram, had a 1500, and 3500 diesel, and this 2500 I just bought is a truck and race car all in one.

Basically I got a power wagon w/o the winch and disconnect sway bar for 15k less.

The only parts from the power wagon I would want are the front and rear lockers.

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All,

First off as was mentioned cam timing sill move torque and HP curves up or down depending on advancing or retarding it. Since most of this is now electronic the tune can be changed with any tuner that works with that engine. Also because CARB is going to start affecting larger trucks it is no doubt a fairly lean tune that the factory is applying.

Next coil springs can be progressive. This is something that has been common on bikes for a while. Applying this tech to a truck means that when the spring is under mild compression ti can have a softer ride. When the spring is under heavier compression it can exert more resistance. Thus you can have a coil spring that will ride smooth empty and still hold a bunch of weight when needed.
Want more power from the 392, swap out the injectors retard the cam timing, shut off MDS and improve fuel rail flow. Yes your gas mileage will go down but you will have a bunch more hp and torque. The caveat is it will come in later in the rpm range.

Personally I like the ride of my 13 1500. I think that adapting a suspension system that was pioneered and refined in racing to a truck is a great example of tech. application and thinking outside the box.
The leaf spring thing kind of reminds me of something I hear at work all the time, "we been doing it that way for a hundred year!" I answer is usually "Yeah we have, and don't you think it's about time for a change?"
+! to RAM for stepping out a bit.

preachp

USMC0326

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 cc 6.4 hemi
Engine
Yea I got it in there today a day early the baseline with only the magnaflow muffler was 346 rwhp. I ended up with 388 rwhp sae in 91 degree heat at over 900 ft DA. Clearly ALOT more left on the table when I get the one of kooks headers and ported stock throttle body, ported heads:)

USMC0326

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 cc 6.4 hemi
Engine
I think the thing that is gonna blow all of your collective minds especially those that were dumbfounded by the trucks high peak tq 4k rpm peak was that it made over 400 rwtq from 2600 rpms to over 4300 rpms:)

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yea I got it in there today a day early the baseline with only the magnaflow muffler was 346 rwhp. I ended up with 388 rwhp sae in 91 degree heat at over 900 ft DA. Clearly ALOT more left on the table when I get the one of kooks headers and ported stock throttle body, ported heads:)

Do you have any dyno sheets to show how flat the torque curve is?

Reactions: Sud

Sud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, post the Dyno Sheets! (especially if you have the "before" and "after" dyno sheets)

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
whats your location ? what type of dyno ?

and hell yes dyno graphs !!!!

USMC0326

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 cc 6.4 hemi
Engine
I'm in Lampasas, Texas I tuned the truck myself on the street after baseline dyno on a friends dyno. The tq numbers were no where near what I got them to. I have 93 octane at my disposal and I used it to the fullest extent. We also used unleaded 100 and even though I leaned it out and added timing there wasn't much power left to get with such a stock truck. I will post the dyno graph's this week. The one thing for most of you that will all the difference in the world as far as pulling is disabling the mds.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm in Lampasas, Texas I tuned the truck myself on the street after baseline dyno on a friends dyno. The tq numbers were no where near what I got them to. I have 93 octane at my disposal and I used it to the fullest extent. We also used unleaded 100 and even though I leaned it out and added timing there wasn't much power left to get with such a stock truck. I will post the dyno graph's this week. The one thing for most of you that will all the difference in the world as far as pulling is disabling the mds.

So you have a wideband O2 and such to do the tuning? How did you manage to change parameters for your Diablo? Doesn't that require proprietary software to do?

Last edited: