School me on Rams--shopping.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strengthrehab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plan is for a used or new Ram. Budget is about 20-22k. Looking for something that will tow an open car trailer and a Mustang if needed.

Thiught:
Express Reg Cab (new) or quad cab (used)
Hemi

Any years to avoid? I've been told to make sure it is 2015 and above (not sure of significance).

I live in Houston area and I'm seeing some good candidates, but I'm Ram dumb.

What should I look for?
What to avoid?

Thanks.

Ken

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most people suggest the newer ones for the 8spd transmission. Since you're towing look for the 3.92 gears over the 3.21's although the 3.21's can tow a car fine as well. I would also recommend looking for the factory tow package that has the trailer brake control built in rather than adding it aftermarket. Just looks nicer and it's nice having it built in. Otherwise it's just the options you want. There's nothing really to look out for other than your spec from the 2015 and up.

**Edit**

Another thing I thought of that goes in line with getting the options you want is I would highly suggest getting the radio option you want if it matters to you. It's possible to switch out the radios to the larger ones but looks like a major PITA to me and I've done plenty of custom radio installs.

Last edited:

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
You get 40,000 more miles on the powertrain warrenty on a 2015 or OLDER...In 2016 they lowered the warrenty mileage from 100,000 down to 60,000.......

OP
OP
S

strengthrehab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found a 2017 express Standard cab, short bed, no power accessories, 3.92 gears, 20" wheels, Hemi for 22k. OTD. (Silver)

Working on another. Same truck, power accessories, 3.21 gears, 20" wheels.
(Blue). Trying to get same price.

Towing.would only be 1-2x per year for a while at most.

I prefer blue.

Thoughts?

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would go 3.21 and power accessories. 3.92 is subject as far as being quicker, but it will tow a little more. In your case I would rather have power windows and locks.

OP
OP
S

strengthrehab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, plus I have a longer commute right now.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Either will work fine for your purposes.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That would be a nice looking little truck (SWB). I'd love to find one of those (with 4x4). Almost impossible up here.

Yeah, that would make a nice truck for you. Is it a 'classic' 60's Mustang? Those were pretty light cars. How far would you be going? Some car trailers are pretty light, others are built pretty HD so take that weight into account plus your car. Look up the towing weight specs of the truck you are looking at. Short wheel base trucks get a little wiggly compared to a LWB, but not too bad. One nice thing on Dodge Rams is there's about 12" of storage room behind the seat, so you almost don't need an extended cab if you're not a passenger hauler. Even the V6 would work for you I suspect, unless you get into the mountains.

Go for it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

strengthrehab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That would be a nice looking little truck (SWB). I'd love to find one of those (with 4x4). Almost impossible up here.

Yeah, that would make a nice truck for you. Is it a 'classic' 60's Mustang? Those were pretty light cars. How far would you be going? Some car trailers are pretty light, others are built pretty HD so take that weight into account plus your car. Look up the towing weight specs of the truck you are looking at. Short wheel base trucks get a little wiggly compared to a LWB, but not too bad. One nice thing on Dodge Rams is there's about 12" of storage room behind the seat, so you almost don't need an extended cab if you're not a passenger hauler. Even the V6 would work for you I suspect, unless you get into the mountains.

Go for it!
Dealer won't discount the one I really wanted they have to buy it from another dealer.

Really Don't Want manual windows/locks.

Grrr

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
Since you're in town, I'd see what you could get them to come down to on this:

New 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn For Sale | Houston TX

if that ruck is brand new I would say its a good deal EXCEPT why is such a good looker left over
Also in your area CARFAX a must with all the rain you folks have had.
if it used why do they say discount from original sticker ,most of that I depreciation even if new its still considered a 2 year old truck I bet you can get a better deal than what its listed for
brianj

OP
OP
S

strengthrehab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if that ruck is brand new I would say its a good deal EXCEPT why is such a good looker left over
Also in your area CARFAX a must with all the rain you folks have had.
if it used why do they say discount from original sticker ,most of that I depreciation even if new its still considered a 2 year old truck I bet you can get a better deal than what its listed for
brianj
Still has the placard on the airbag. I'd assume new.

fyrpm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just purchased a 2015 crew cab with 22,600 miles for 22,900. Had a bakflip tonneau factory tow and upgraded tradesman package. HEMI with 8 Spd. Awesome truck and drives like a dream. Balance of the factory warranty as well. Deals are out there in your price range. If you are thinking quad cab spring for the crew cab. The difference in backseat space is worth a few more $$. Good luck with your search. Rams are great trucks and offer value at every price point compared to GM and Ford. I upgraded from a 2004 quad cab which had no issues in 13 years of ownership.

OP
OP
S

strengthrehab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just purchased a 2015 crew cab with 22,600 miles for 22,900. Had a bakflip tonneau factory tow and upgraded tradesman package. HEMI with 8 Spd. Awesome truck and drives like a dream. Balance of the factory warranty as well. Deals are out there in your price range. If you are thinking quad cab spring for the crew cab. The difference in backseat space is worth a few more $$. Good luck with your search. Rams are great trucks and offer value at every price point compared to GM and Ford. I upgraded from a 2004 quad cab which had no issues in 13 years of ownership.
I don't know where you are, but around here (Houston), I can find deals like that at all. Hell, best deal I've found is a 2015 tradesman standard cab with 45k miles and hemi/8 speed for 17k or a 2013 express Standard cab with 59k for 17k. All crew/quad cabs are 25k with 50k+ miles.

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Fyi , rams are advertised 10k off everyday. There's no reason why Antoine can't get deep discounts. Expect to here "no" but your the buyer and the have the money. It may take a trip to different dealers but they will make it happen. Thought about a HD

OP
OP
S

strengthrehab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fyi , rams are advertised 10k off everyday. There's no reason why Antoine can't get deep discounts. Expect to here "no" but your the buyer and the have the money. It may take a trip to different dealers but they will make it happen. Thought about a HD
I was trying to get a 2017 standard cab Hemi with manual doors/windows. MSRP was 33.5, couldn't get below 26k. 2018 they wouldn't budge. Offfered me 450/month for 72 months BEFORE I even did a credit app (I have good credit). None of the dealers around here wanted business apparently.

OP
OP
S

strengthrehab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Separately, how much if an upgrade is the 8spd auto in the 14 vs the 6 speed auto in the 13?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dealer won't discount the one I really wanted they have to buy it from another dealer. Really Don't Want manual windows/locks. Grrr

I don't blame you. I went from a fully loaded truck to an uprated tradesman, but no locks or windows. It's a *****. Don't have a rear slider either, which I also miss. I might add some of these back aftermarket. Other than that love the truck. So, if you're buying nearly new, I'd make sure you get what you want.

OP
OP
S

strengthrehab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking at a 13 on Saturday. How is the 6 spd auto?