Why is there no lifetime warranty with diesel trucks? Gas trucks have lifetime warran

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Why is there no lifetime warranty with diesel trucks? Gas trucks have lifetime warranty.

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
I've never seen any lifetime warranties on diesel or gas trucks. Or any vehicles for that matter. The longest warrantee I know of here in Canada is between 5 to 10 years. They usually give you so many years for general things and longer for the powertrain. Not sure if it's different in the U.S or anywhere else though.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never seen any lifetime warranties on diesel or gas trucks. Or any vehicles for that matter. The longest warrantee I know of here in Canada is between 5 to 10 years. They usually give you so many years for general things and longer for the powertrain. Not sure if it's different in the U.S or anywhere else though.

In the U.S a lot of dealerships offer a lifetime powertrain warranty for as long as you own the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rambling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Why is there no lifetime warranty with diesel trucks? Gas trucks have lifetim...

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing that information. Now only if they did that here in Canada, lol.

OP
OP
T

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins

Ram has lifetime warranties on Hemis only, no Cummins.

OP
OP
T

The hippie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
In the U.S a lot of dealerships offer a lifetime powertrain warranty for as long as you own the vehicle.

Not true. They don't offer it on diesels. Only gas trucks have lifetime warranty.

i asked the guy at the warranty he said he doesn't even know why.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The why is simple.. They would lose their ass if they warrantied a diesel for full life of owner ship. The parts are double in most cases over what the gasoline engine parts are. However if they did offer a lifetime warranty ford and Chevy would be hosed as they would loose a ton of buisness to ram. If they did have that warranty I would be trading my 6.4 in for a new cummins tomorrow lol. The def system for example is good but if it has problems it is expensive to repair. IMO 3 years in and I think dodge has the best def system out there, and they can only get better with time.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would also think that gas owners would more likely trade in their trucks then diesels.

Diesels have a long life already, and if it was warrantied for life, who would trade their diesel in?

**Sent from the *********

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Wonder what the terms and conditions are. My originating dealer told me about how lucky I was buying truck from them. Since it came with a lifetime drive train warranty, they call it "Home of the lifetime warranty". A few questions and answers later, wasn't worth the paper its written on, just dog poo.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7

you have to watch out for that tho as they can usually be cancelled at any point. had lifetime oil changes on a truck a few years back then they cancelled the program about 2 years in. also as with most products offering lifetime warranties "lifetime" is usually the lifetime of the product not the owners lifetime which in a vehicle i'd think is no more then 10 years

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesels in the HD trucks are designed for commercial use, towing, hauling. The repairs for diesels are very high. No lifetime warranties for them!!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

15BlueStreak

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
We have one on our 2012 grand cherokee. It covers everything the 5 year one does but with a 100 dollar deductible. You can also get a life time bumper to bumper warranty too. All of these are through Chrysler not the dealer. It is a service contract and you have to have inspections done every five years to keep it intact. I think all service needs to be done by a qualified tech also. It doesn't matter to us though since it gets service at dealer anyway. The dealer we buy from has a pretty good service dept. I would say they are worth it if you plan on keeping the truck a long time. The lifetime bumper to bumper for my new truck was priced at 2300. The lifetime powertrain was 980. I did not get either. Will most likely get the powertrain In a year or so.

2robinhood

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab
Engine
6.4l gas
The LIFETIME is the expected / estimated lifetime ( determined by Ram ) of the vehicle, not your lifetime of owning the vehicle.

The warranty also states that if the repairs are more then the valve of the vehicle it won't be repaired.

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From the way I understand it they will pay for the repair or fair market value of your truck, whichever is more allegedly. Probably a low ball trade in offer. I have the lifetime max care with $100 deductible. Paid $2300 so hoping to at least get that out of it at some point.

Last edited:

RMinAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I had a lifetime on my (since totaled) gasoline 1500. I used the prorated amount of that warranty toward the eight year warranty on my Cummins 2500

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The why is simple.. They would lose their ass if they warrantied a diesel for full life of owner ship. The parts are double in most cases over what the gasoline engine parts are. However if they did offer a lifetime warranty ford and Chevy would be hosed as they would loose a ton of buisness to ram. If they did have that warranty I would be trading my 6.4 in for a new cummins tomorrow lol. The def system for example is good but if it has problems it is expensive to repair. IMO 3 years in and I think dodge has the best def system out there, and they can only get better with time.

I don't know that its really the cost that's the reason, they wouldn't offer a 5 year/100k mile warranty in that case.

The big reason is guys will put over 500k miles on diesel very quickly running hot shot loads, that's where they'd really loose their ass

John94z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Lol don't get caught up on those powertrain warranties. Those really only cover internal lubricated parts. Generally those parts don't fail.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The LIFETIME is the expected / estimated lifetime ( determined by Ram ) of the vehicle, not your lifetime of owning the vehicle.

dealers will often say it's for as long as you own it. most people don't keep a vehicle more then 3-5 years anymore before trading so that's what they are going by. either way i don't believe those extra warranties are worth the paper their written on.

i bought the paint protection then a week after buying the truck noticed a paint bubble on one rim(black 20s) so took it back and was told the rims aren't covered. the next month had a nice big stone chip in the front bumper which when i bought the truck i was told specifically that stone chips are covered yet upon going in was told the front end wasn't included due to being high risk for stone chips

at the end of the day they will always try to get out of it. even if it's something that is covered they seem to like making it hard enough that you just give up anyway

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Costs and use...

There is a reason up here where we have lots of gravel roads and extremely cold winters the oil companies have for the most part switched from diesel to gas.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Lucky me, I bought my 2015 used from a Ford dealer that offers lifetime powertrain warranty's on ALL vehicles it sells. Plus, they sold me the truck with an intake, exhaust and Edge JWA installed... so that is covered under my lifetime warranty.

All I have to do is get all my scheduled maintenance done and document it.