anyone running the MCG spindle drop kit 44050?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im seriously considering going with the MCG deluxe spindle drop from 3rd
strike.

My question is, would I need front drop shocks with spindles?

Anyone have this kit installed?

jojo750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
dont take this as golden advice, but in my research in the past week, the kit comes with shock relocator brackets to use the stock shocks.
or you can purchase "lowered" shocks to use.

lmk if you find something else out. ive talked to jegs and summit, both said same thing. but then again, it is just an operator on the other end. not the technical dept.

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hmmm, maybe I should call MCG direct and find out about the relocators

jojo750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
hmmm, maybe I should call MCG direct and find out about the relocators

they were at SEMA this past week, so my phone calls went un-answered. or i wouldve had a better answer for you.
calling them myself tomorrow.

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
okay thanks, I will just let you call and post the information. While you have them on the phone ask about the trac-bar relocation bracket and see if they revised it since some people have had issues getting it to fit properly.

I sure wish I could view the installation procedure too. I would like to know if there is any cutting required for the spindle kit. I had a MCG on my 2007 Chevy and it required cutting the front disc brake dust shield

Last edited:

ARMYRETIRED

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
okay thanks, I will just let you call and post the information. While you have them on the phone ask about the trac-bar relocation bracket and see if they revised it since some people have had issues getting it to fit properly.

I sure wish I could view the installation procedure too. I would like to know if there is any cutting required for the spindle kit. I had a MCG on my 2007 Chevy and it required cutting the front disc brake dust shield

I just installed the track bar relocator this weekend and it fit great. The truck has to be back on its own weight mostly for the holes to line up. No issues at all but I did not order the deluxe kit and can't help you with the spindle question.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can very likely 'get away' with running stock length shocks.

The issue you will run into is wanting a stiffer / quicker responding shock due to decreased available upward travel.

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can very likely 'get away' with running stock length shocks.

The issue you will run into is wanting a stiffer / quicker responding shock due to decreased available upward travel.

I definately want them for the rear, I just figured with spindles I may not need different ones up front. Spindles dont decrease travel do they?

I thought spindles just raised the mounting point of the wheel center, UCA/LCA/TRE distance remained unchanged, therefore not decreasing travel or changing shock length.

comparison.gif

Last edited:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I definately want them for the rear, I just figured with spindles I may not need different ones up front. Spindles don't decrease travel do they?

I thought spindles just raised the mounting point of the wheel center, UCA/LCA/TRE distance remained unchanged, therefore not decreasing travel or changing shock length.

They move your tire 2" closer to your wheel wells. What you said is theoretically correct, it should do nothing but move the hub and thus wheel / tire up 2".

It's more the issue of when you compress from a big jounce (like an unseen speed bump) the factory shocks don't hold the wheel down well enough, and it allows your suspension to 'dive' down hard, potentially scraping things that shouldn't have scraped.

While I've never ran spindles, I've run 1, 2 and 3" drop springs, and anything other than the 1" drop really benefited from good Nitro drop shocks. Far more controlled.

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, so your saying I might want them for a firmer ride

Last edited:

jojo750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
the guy at mcgaughys said you cant run a "lowered" shock with the spindle, unless you change the spring out also.
but you can use an aftermarket shock (stock length) with the stock spring up front if you want.

he said he didnt know of anyone having problems with the track bar fitting properly (which is what i thought he would say). and also said you shouldnt have to cut/trim anything if using the 2" spindles.

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the guy at mcgaughys said you cant run a "lowered" shock with the spindle, unless you change the spring out also.
but you can use an aftermarket shock (stock length) with the stock spring up front if you want.

he said he didnt know of anyone having problems with the track bar fitting properly (which is what i thought he would say). and also said you shouldnt have to cut/trim anything if using the 2" spindles.

Thanks for asking those questions, I really appreciate that.

I sure like the idea of spindles to keep the ride up front just like it is.

Have you decided what kit your getting?

preferred vendor here 3rd Strike Performance!!, Mopar, GM and Ford Performance Parts-Aftermarket Accessories!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Qty. 1 ea. McGaughy's 2"4" Deluxe Drop Kit 09-up Dodge Ram 1500 2wd

Last edited:

jojo750

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
haha.
im order #543

same kit.
couldnt pass up this deal. with the 5%discount for being a member here, it is definitely worth it for the spindles.

OP
OP
JB1

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey great jojo, good price and we save $100 from not needing front shocks