17 PW Lift Kit Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nobdywagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all, just purchased a 2017 Power Wagon, and I am looking for a new suspension setup. Previous owner installed a BDS 4" lift kit, and fox 2.0 shocks. He also installed airbags for an overland trailer rig. I believe it also has drop brackets. Recently took it to a shop and found the right rear shock was shot, and it was relying mainly on the airbags. Also to note, it has the Articulink option.

Looking for a new setup, don't need to be at 4" but I am running 37's, and would like to have something that is capable (I am not going to be any super intense wheeling) and rides well on the pavement, as that is where 90% of this truck lives. Goal is to eliminate air bags and drop brackets. New to this world and was looking for some advice (keep in mind I am very much a newbie). Have been looking at Thuren and Carli, but don't want to spend 3500+. Another question I had: if I were to go to a level, are there any stock parts I would need to find and put back on the truck?

Anything is appreciated, apologize for the scatter brained post. Thanks

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would go thuren or carli. You can do thuren front and rear for welllllllll under 3500 if you dont go with kings.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
All Power Wagons have the articulink setup also, but yes I'd probably go Carli . Their brackets are going to be better quality than BDS although BDS isn't bad. I'd keep the airbags in the back if I were you. Power Wagons don't have the same payload as a traditional 3/4 ton. It doesn't take alot to squat the suspension so the bags will help that out. Alot of us that run bags on our Wagon's will keep the top attached and install a daystar cradle on the bottom so the bag floats with suspension articulation.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
On a side note......there is a lot of relocation of components with that 4" BDS setup. The disconnecting sway bar, radius arm brackets etc. If you go back down to a 2 inch you'll have to revert everything back to stock except there will be new radius arm bracket with the Carli setup.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As said above there are several stock components you would need to source if getting rid of the 4" lift. Go to the BDS website and take a look at the 4" PW kit and read through the install guide. That will tell you exactly what parts are changed. I can say just by glancing at the picture of the kit there are quite a few brackets and such that will need removed, which I believe are just bolted onto the stock brackets, but also several items like the pitman arm and swaybar links that are replaced.
Have you thought about just replacing the rear shocks? Do you really hate the 4" lift and the kit overall that much....just curious.
The comment about "relying on the airbags" doesn't make much sense. The airbags shouldn't have any thing to do with the shocks or vice versa. Air bags in no way make up for a bad shock. All air bags do is give more load support, the same concept as installing stiffer rear springs but they have the ability to deflate and not be stiff all of the time. Have you checked to see if the bags are even inflated? Removing the air bags from the suspension is not a big deal and isn't really a factor if you don't need them for heavy towing or a big load in the bed.

OP
OP
nobdywagon

nobdywagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As said above there are several stock components you would need to source if getting rid of the 4" lift. Go to the BDS website and take a look at the 4" PW kit and read through the install guide. That will tell you exactly what parts are changed. I can say just by glancing at the picture of the kit there are quite a few brackets and such that will need removed, which I believe are just bolted onto the stock brackets, but also several items like the pitman arm and swaybar links that are replaced.
Have you thought about just replacing the rear shocks? Do you really hate the 4" lift and the kit overall that much....just curious.
The comment about "relying on the airbags" doesn't make much sense. The airbags shouldn't have any thing to do with the shocks or vice versa. Air bags in no way make up for a bad shock. All air bags do is give more load support, the same concept as installing stiffer rear springs but they have the ability to deflate and not be stiff all of the time. Have you checked to see if the bags are even inflated? Removing the air bags from the suspension is not a big deal and isn't really a factor if you don't need them for heavy towing or a big load in the bed.
Thanks for the reply.. and no I don't hate the 4". Might just go with replacing the rear shocks like you suggested.

OP
OP
nobdywagon

nobdywagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All Power Wagons have the articulink setup also, but yes I'd probably go Carli . Their brackets are going to be better quality than BDS although BDS isn't bad. I'd keep the airbags in the back if I were you. Power Wagons don't have the same payload as a traditional 3/4 ton. It doesn't take alot to squat the suspension so the bags will help that out. Alot of us that run bags on our Wagon's will keep the top attached and install a daystar cradle on the bottom so the bag floats with suspension articulation.
Ah, okay. Good to know! Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517