The transmission behind the V10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RowanLake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10 8.0
Hello fellow Dodge people.
I hope this is in the correct section.
Recently, I bought a 99 V10 2500 4WD with a 47RE transmission.
It runs great. However, it almost immediately started having shifting issues. Not going into drive or reverse from an idle but, if you rev it a bit, it sort of slams in and, as long as you keep the RPMs up, it works okay. I've researched as much as I could online but haven't found the cause of my exact problem yet. I've experimented and found that, so I don't hurt the trans when it slams, if I rev a little in neutral then let it settle, but just before it gets to idle, I'll drop it in drive and it works fine. Same thing works for reverse. Sometimes I have to do a 'drop into neutral/rev it/back to drive' to get it to shift from 2nd to 3rd, depending on throttle position, load, and speed.
I understand that these trannys have low pressure problems. If I buy a Sonnax? Zip Kit or similar product, would it be a waste of money? I've also read about putting a GM part in it, a servo or solenoid or something like that.
These 47REs are quite expensive to replace and I'm just retired and on Social Security only. I'm able to do repairs that involve the valve body etc.
I've built lots of engines (usually big block Dodges & a few small block Chevys). I used to drag race. I've rebuilt 100s of carburetors, all back in the days of non-electronics, and even tweaked a few automatics, but I don't know if I could rebuild that transmission myself.
I'll try anything that might work as long as it isn't out of my limited budget. I do have some money saved but not the 4-5000 these things cost. ‍
Any and all advice would be appreciated muchly.
Thanks.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Have you changed the filters and trans oil? I had a 2003 V10. I could tell the difference immediately when I did on mine. If you go that route make sure you have a calibrated torque wrench. The trans bolts don't take much to strip if you are aggresive. Good luck.

OP
OP
R

RowanLake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10 8.0
Yes, I actually did that the day I got it. Lots of metal on the magnet but the pan wasn't too dirty.
On that subject, I was going through the previous owner's receipt pile last night and found one for a transmission service. It was just a fluid and filter change, and the fluid used was some sort of "universal ATF" instead of ATF+4. Also, there was no band adjustments on any of the paperwork I found.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Get the service manual and follow the process in there. There are quite a few adjustments to be made when servicing them. I have the service manual for the 1996 Ram and the automatic transmission section for the V10 is 150 pages long. The file is too large to upload here or I would post it. If there was a spot here to upload large files that would be handy.

I do not recall where I got mine from. You can try here

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RowanLake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10 8.0
I found the FSM for mine in PDF format so I'll start working on it. I figure might be a good idea to get the upgrade parts and do it all at once. If it's close to toasted and it doesn't work, the upgrade parts should make it bulletproof along with the rebuild. Luckily, I have another vehicle but I guess I won't be towing my RV anywhere until this is resolved.