Best performance suspension setup for a 2/4 drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all. I am new to the forums. First off, I know suspension has been beat to death on here... so sorry for another post. I recently purchased a 2016 ram 1500 regular cab Sport trim (regular bed 6'4" IIRC?). Is that what RCSB means? regular cab short bed?

For over the last week I have been combing through the "Lowering" section looking at the lowering kits available for this truck or rather lack there of. I have never tried lowering a truck before and did not realize the limited kits available to lower these trucks (and lower them without negatively affecting the ride quality... i.e. losing a lot of susp. travel).

From what I have gathered from numerous post, this is the suspension setup I would like to do. Please chime in if there are components that should be switched with a different brand etc. Essentially I am looking for validation that this is essentially the best set up I could get for suspension. Mind you, I do not want to even drop my truck at all if I can't do the drop right. I want my truck to handle better, not worse after the drop is complete. Now if my ride is a little bit more stiff, I am fine with that. However I do not want to be riding the bump stops all the time. I see lowered trucks driving around and you can just see how crappy their ride quality is.... bouncing around everywhere.

2"/4" drop.

Lowering Kit:
Belltech lowering springs kit (no shock)
Belltech Sport Trucks and Muscle Cars

Shocks:
QA1's front and rear (though I have not seen the exact part # for this. I saw someone post TS514 and TS905single adjustable) but I wasn't sure if those shocks would be appropriate for a 2/4 drop). Also, I figured there was a specific QA1 shock to get to accomodate the 4" drop, so the shock performs as it should given the lesser distance available for travel?
QA1 Stocker Star Shocks TS514 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

QA1 Stocker Star Shocks TS905 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Not sure which one would be front and which one would be rear. I saw the specs on the collapsed length and extended length. I figured the longer between the two part #'s would be for the rear?

Sway bars:
Hellwig front and rear sway bars.

Rear sway bar says it fits 09'-14' so not sure if it is a for sure fit on a 16'?
Hellwig Rear Swaybar 09-14 Ram 1500

Front sway bar
Hellwig Front Swaybar 09-15 Ram 1500 2WD

Front sway bar end links:
Chassis Works
Billet Pivot-Ball Endlinks Inline 4.72" Center of Travel
https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-2817-billet-pivot-ball-endlinks-inline-472-center-of-travel.aspx

Rear sway bar end links:
DTP02043 PowerWagon Swaybar Links 6.75"-8 1/8"
DTP02043 PowerWagon Swaybar Links
Requires drilling of holes in sway bar to accommodate the size (from what I have read)

Rear lower/upper control Arms:
Spohn Adjustable Rear lower control arms
Spohn Performance Adjustable Rear Lower Control Arms - 2009-up Dodge Ram 1500 2WD/4WD

Spohn Adjustable Rear upper control arms
Spohn Performance Adjustable Rear Upper Control Arms - 2009-up Dodge Ram 1500 2WD/4WD

Panhard Bar:
Spohn Adjustable Panhard bar
Spohn Performance Adjustable Rear Panhard Bar - 2009-Up Ram 1500 2WD/4WD

FYI, I read post about using a Watts Link but have not seen much in regards to anyone running one and what brand. I would prefer to run a Watts Link if there was a good product available for our trucks.

The only thing I can think of that I have not posted is an adjustable ball joint for the front end alignment. Moog's or SPC? I tried searching but could not find definitive answers. Also, fitment on a 2016?

Any help would be appreciated. I definitely want to make sure If I am to do this, that I get all the correct parts before spending $1,400-$1,600 before labor. (I have read that some of these items may be difficult to return if the wrong part is ordered. I.E. the sway bar links??)

Thanks in advance!

thebeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I run those QA1's on my 2/4/ drop . I have the hellwig rear sway for my 15' , I'm sure it will be fine on the 16'. I run all the spohn stuff , very nice.

thebeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I used the moog f-150 front end links.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most looks pretty good if you stay at a 2/4 and no lower, any lower with the BT and you will be close to the bump stops. But note, it will improve handling but by now means is a true "performance" suspension.

As for the front Endlinks, do a search for DavidRam and the issues he had with them... If I'm not mistaken Chassi-works are Chris Alston product. The end result did not turn out to be a good experience and failed.

As for the Watts link, there is no made product, this will be a custom build. Take a look at Blacksheep's build as he had one made for his on his extreme drop. I am slowly working on a design for mine and designing or more so researching info on fabbing a pro-touring performance suspension but I'm sure by no means will be a bolt in or cheap.

If you want to keep the suspension geometry as close to stock with still having a drop, look into Mcgaughys spindle drop and qa'1 shocks like you have researched.

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the exact setup you list, I have a 16 R/T all installs without a problem. Ride quality is awesome compared to stock.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Belltech with Hellwig/Spohn stuff. I find the ride to be no stiffer on smooth roads (duh) and when taking obvious bumps I slow down (duh) and find the ride to not be all that bad. Taking a corner to say the least is much improved (duh), I spent right around 1600.00 + install for my ride and at this point am pleased with said purchase. Good luck with your project.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As for the front Endlinks, do a search for DavidRam and the issues he had with them... If I'm not mistaken Chassi-works are Chris Alston product. The end result did not turn out to be a good experience and failed.

If you want to keep the suspension geometry as close to stock with still having a drop, look into Mcgaughys spindle drop and qa'1 shocks like you have researched.

I will do a search for DavidRam's issues with those front end links, as I definitely did not see anyone who ran them having issue (Though I hardly saw anyone running them..). Which ones are you running?

I definitely would like to keep the front end geometry as close to stock as I could. The only cons I have heard about the McGaughys spindle kit is that the new spindles add a fair amount of unsprung weight. Additionally the slight bump out of the front tires past the bumper as well.

I realize most people say you don't notice it unless you are looking for it.

I would prefer to do a 3/5 drop, but it seems that would be difficult to do without a greater negative impact on the ride quality/ suspension performance over the impact a 2/4 drop would have.

I have the exact setup you list, I have a 16 all installs without a problem. Ride quality is awesome compared to stock.

Quicksilver are you running the same front end links? Have you had issues with yours if you are?

Thanks everyone for your input. It is much appreciated! :happy107:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not really sure whats up front, I didn't build that part of the truck, and only have changed out the rear stuff.

I have somewhere around a 3/5 with the belltech, the ride is great better than stock but not a performance ride that I'm looking for. For the average driver it is probably just fine, for those that want to track their truck maybe not.
I do get a little bump steer when out of alignment. but really for what it is its not bad and I like it.. just not enough for me.

Oh and another thing to look at getting with the 2/4 and def down to a 3/5 is a set of Moog upper ball joints that are adjustable to 3 degrees. it will help adjust out the extra negative camber. I sit .65 degrees out of alignment on the negative side and you can see it on my wheels

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
You have everything listed that we've found works the best on these trucks, here's just a few other things I'll add to it:

I have run the Chris Alston endlinks and they are not strong enough to handle the extra load put on them by the Hellwig sway bar. I'm now running the Moog F-150 endlinks just fine. I broke 2 sets of the CA endlinks and they aren't cheap.

I designed a Watts link for these trucks but the gains were not there for the cost of running a properly setup panhard bar considering how long our bar is. I would recommend having a local machine shop make some delrin bushings for the panhard bar if you can, the Spohn poly bushings blow out easily and will start squeaking over every bump. Best option is a custom panhard bar with Heim joints and misalignment spacers so the whole bar will travel the full range of the rear axle arc without binding in the brackets.

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quicksilver are you running the same front end links? Have you had issues with yours if you are?

I presently have the moog installed but heard Davidram say they did not hold up so I got the CA end links... haven't installed them yet.

You have everything listed that we've found works the best on these trucks, here's just a few other things I'll add to it:

I have run the Chris Alston endlinks and they are not strong enough to handle the extra load put on them by the Hellwig sway bar. I'm now running the Moog F-150 endlinks just fine. I broke 2 sets of the CA endlinks and they aren't cheap.

Damn it! Davidram recommended these end links over the moog :crazy:

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh and another thing to look at getting with the 2/4 and def down to a 3/5 is a set of Moog upper ball joints that are adjustable to 3 degrees. it will help adjust out the extra negative camber. I sit .65 degrees out of alignment on the negative side and you can see it on my wheels

Is there a Moog upper ball joint specific for the ram application? Or is it more of a universal upper ball joint that happens to work on the ram 1500?

Interesting info about the Spohn Panhard. My only issue with getting a custom made one is I don't know of any good reputable shops in the Houston area that are experienced with performance truck suspension.

I spoke to a shop and somewhat explained some of my concerns and the rep essentially responded with just running a belltech lowering kit and the truck would ride fine. I do not think he really understood what I was saying.

Anyways, your suspension is only as good as your weakest link (pun intended... Wanh wanh). Seriously though, I want to run a good setup that won't cause me head aches down the road.

Does anyone have the part # for the f-150 front sway bar end links? Is there a particular length to get?

Thanks guys.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting info about the Spohn Panhard. My only issue with getting a custom made one is I don't know of any good reputable shops in the Houston area that are experienced with performance truck suspension.

Get ahold of Dubstep shep or Hemi450hp on the forum, they are in Texas a little ways away from Houston but pretty sure they will know some shops to look up. BLOWNGP might know of some too.

alex_5_7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All I did was put belltech lowering Springs with the Panhard bar relocater bracket and spohn adjustable pan hard bar. Stock shocks and everything. My camber is fine and the ride feels awesome.

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RT Fire have you thought of slotting the upper control arm bracket to adjust camber?

80d3343d.gif

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RT Fire have you thought of slotting the upper control arm bracket to adjust camber?

No, I never have... interesting thought though but not 100% sure I like it. Going to have to mull this one over as a quick fix

Quicksilver337

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram R/T
Engine
Hemi 5.7

No, I never have... interesting thought though but not 100% sure I like it. Going to have to mull this one over as a quick fix

My thoughts exactly... don't like to mod non-removable oem parts. Even though the 4x4 arm bracket are like that from factory. I'm still think of installing the adjustable upper ball joint. I'm going 3/5 so I might need it.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would get them... really I should have them installed on mine, I've just been lazy.

For me I know they can be designed that way, I'm just not a fan of a slot and relying on a bolted connection. For street driving it would prob be just fine, and really in racing it would be too, just not 100% comfortable with it. I still want a adjustable A-arm

I just wish the 4x4 a-arms that would be very easy to modify weren't so expensive.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I appreciate everyone's input. I am waiting to do my suspension until I sell my AR. I just can not take on $1500-$1800 right now and the money from the AR would help offset the cost.

I will keep everyone posted. I plan on taking several before and after photos as well as try to give a good review of the setup and the differences between it and stock.

OP
OP
Ak47bravo

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I am getting closer to doing my build (I am going to take video before and after and document as much as I can during the process).

I have seen in several post that people mention the Belltech (2/4 drop) springs are too soft. Softer than the stock springs even. If they are softer than stock... would it not be better to cut the stock springs to do a 2/4 drop? Assuming you are very good and accurate at cutting to get the desired drop.

Thoughts?

Also, I can not seem to find the end all be all part #'s for the QA1's front and rear. I saw one where someone said they had to be retrofitted, but then I saw another post where someone said they make shocks specifically for our trucks now, thus it would be a direct bolt in without any modifications needed. It sounds like the only way to really do a good performance suspension set up on this truck is to have a good suspension shop custom fab something.

In general does anyone know of any kind of sport truck from the factory? Only ones I can think of off the top of my head are the F-150 Lighting (not sure how good their factory suspension set up was), SRT-10 (same comment about the suspension), the Chevy SSR (IMO an extremely ugly truck). Thats about it.... GMC syclone? I know they were fast, and I imagine they were fairly decent at handling considering how small and light they were.

I am not expecting to get a "sport truck" to handle like a "sports car" but definitely have a better suspension configuration than what comes on these trucks.